OIL TEMPERATURE?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read a lot about "oil pressure enhancement" when replacing the stock oil adapter with an ACR oil adapter.

But, what about the temperature of the engine oil.

Anybody measured the oil temperature with / without the ACR oil adapter during NORMAL driving conditions: 0-150 mph (autobahn! jk)?

What I mean: is there a chance that the engine oil is too long too COLD if the oil circulates through the oil cooler all the time (depending on the ambient temperature)?

MOPAR SITE says: NOT recommended for cold weather use! Does this mean "Alaska", or what?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any expert advice, but I can see where the oil could be too cool for optimum performance (protection). But in Florida we don't EVER have to worry about that.

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any info on the oil temp itself, but cold flow is am issue with Engine oil and Transmission oil (on automatic transmissions) that utilize external coolers. If the fluid is too cold, pressure builds and flow is minimal.

Trans oil can get away without having a bypass, as only a percentage of the oil actually gets circulated through the cooler. For engine oil, typically 100% of the oil must flow through the cooler en route to the filter. In such a case, typical oil pumps do not have the power to force the oil through a frozen cooler. Obviously this depends on the viscosity of the oil and the hydraulic circuit of the oil. Also, the engine needs that instant pressure and flow on cold start-up. Very tough when oil temps start getting below 5*C. 5*C or higher is pretty safe (and probably conservative for clean premium synthetic oil). I would consider how often you might drive the car when external ambients are below 5*C.

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great topic Markus. I was wondering about oil temperature in the Viper. It should be nice to have a stock oil temp. gauge in the car. I am sure some additional oil cooling would add to the cooling system wich is often. . . let's say poor. But from my racing experience I have to say that oil coolers must be pampered a lot and shielded/unshielded according to air temperature. Too low an oil temperature can cause poor lubrification and even create condensate. What's my oil temperature running on tollway ?? I'd like to know !! But judging from my water temp. it should be quite high !

GTS 1999

OP
OP
ViperGTS

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks so far...

I would like to have the ACR oil adapter installed, because during normal driving situations I think it is better to have the oil cooled ALL the time.

But, I measured the time the engine warms up. Takes 4 minutes to rise the coolant gauge pointer to the normal state \!/.

If the oil circulates all the time through the oil cooler, warm up of the engine must (a little bit?) be longer.

Since I drive my Viper in spring time and during fall and the temperatures are sometimes below 10°C (Centigrade) I wonder whether a poor lubrification may happen for lets say 4-5 minutes. due to the cold engine oil.

Would NOT be good for the engine!