Opinions: Viper Wrap or Wheels?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With limited funds I have to select things carefully as many of us do. That being said, I have a 94 Viper with near perfect original paint and I am considering a "Viper Wrap" for around $1,200. The wrap does more than just the clear bra and really protects the car. Or, I could take that money and buy some nice Gen 2 5 spoke wheels (one offer I had for more money included a new set of PS/2 tires). OK guys, what would you do? Any (especially Dave6666's) comments are welcome. Thanks. :)

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go for the "wrap" first. I am not sure what your installer is calling a wrap though. I have been installing kits for years and every installer has their own terms to sale their product. Getting the hood/fenders/mirrors/bumper/lights done along with the rocker panels should be plenty though. Once you drive the car and start getting chips in the paint, they are there. You can always go back and add wheels at any time and you haven’t lost anything.

Thom

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the wheels. Get a set of PS-2 tires. Paint is for chips but not until it has really been blasted then paint the whole car. GTS Bruce

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with GTS Bruce. Drive the car, enjoy it. Put the new tires and wheels on it and have a blast. Re-paint the car at a later date if you decide to keep it. :)

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with GTS Bruce. Drive the car, enjoy it. Put the new tires and wheels on it and have a blast. Re-paint the car at a later date if you decide to keep it. :)

I already have nearly new tires (Mich. Pilot Sports) on the old Gen 1 rims (which are mint condition). It would be nice to put different wheels on it and keep the originals nice... Hell, I don't know... It would also be nice to keep the original paint nice and still drive it a lot. I really do not want the cost of painting a car sometime in the future. Still confused... More input? :dunno:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really dig the update the Gen. II rims give to the Gen. I cars. I threw 2002 rims and chrome badging on mine and really like the way it looks. Some guys prefer the classic, stock look of the 1993 wheels, some like it looking more current and blending in with the Gen. IIs.

I've seen clear bras and I have mixed feelings. Yeah, it protects the paint but if you scratch the film it's just as noticeable as a rock chip.

If your car is a driver, drive it and just know that along the way you're going to pick up some war wounds. It's nothing that a little touch-up paint and wax won't fix. More than likely you'll be the only one that notices. If it's a garage/trailer queen and a blemish is the end of the world, wrap it up.

The guy with the 2002 rims and chewed-up fascia (me) say get the wheels and respray when you need it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i love a gen1 with updated wheels. i say the wheels.

paint is gonna get chipped, no big deal.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the paint is near original I would go with the wrap. Why not prevent it if you have the chance and not have to paint it later. Now if the paint had chips and dings already I would go for the wheels.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my 94.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

V

Venomiss

My vote is for the wrap. Money saved on repainting in the future can be used towards wheels. Talk with 85 out of 100 about the pricing for a wrap. Good luck!

ZEUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep your original wheels. But buy the new ones. My 94' is mint, and side exhaust with those wheels just set it off---The look is worth way more, you'd wonder what you were waiting for.
As far as chips don't drive behind anyone for any given time, especially at speed...you can't hear it but the car is so low, it gets hit from stones continually bouncing 1-2 feet high from a vehicle 5 car lengths in front of you.

BTW, I bring in the 3m tape guys for clients (detail shop) and my cost is about $800 for full bumper/mirrors/rear lips for the viper. Find a guy and pay him cash and it might be just a little more. I find most dealerships charge double their cost. :D

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well guys (gals), I am trying to swing both right now. I am definately doing the wrap and I am looking for some reasonably priced 17" chrome or polished wheels. I am going to try to do both!!! If anyone has some wheels in good shape, let me know. I am real close to buying some from a very nice VCA member right now, but I am still thinking about it... We will see what happens. Thanks for your input.:)
GTD