Optimism, Pessimism and Trolls

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good responses by many of you. All kidding aside there are very few true "trolls" on this board. It's a mudslinging term used by the uber optimist to discredit opposing viewpoints. You people still miss the point, it goes right over your head. The extreme reactions are a GREAT thing. It underscores the fanaticism of the Viper group. Fanaticism is great for a brand.

It's like my customers who complain all of the time. I LOVE THEM. They are great for business. They ***** at me because they want me to FIX the problems. They give me the best input. The optimist do not help me. Without the naysayers the product would not be near as awesome.

Keep on "trolling".

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigDawg, don't get me wrong I see what you mean... the point I wanted to make is that constructive criticism is more useful for SRT than the bone hard language some of the "trolls" are using.

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And yes I am also offended about the comments towards Bill Pemberton because they are grossly misplaced as Bob already explained. He and 2 members of the Woodhouse team are currently helping me with a question that is not asked every day and are accomodating to the max in getting me what I want/need. That is called SERVICE despite me not being the owner of a Pentastar product, something that the closest-to-me dealership here in The Netherlands can learn from.

You are not adding a whole lot of value to these discussions so I suggest you mind your own business and like I said Bills job is to sell cars. He is accommodating but if he chimes in he is just like the rest of us.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears that every GEN V thread is now heading south no matter how good the intentions are.

Long live the Ring King
Bruce

V

VCA Forum Staff

The moderators here try not to get involved in moderating threads like this unless there's a breach of posting policy. By and large we believe the majority of the site users here respect the posting policies and we try not to moderate unless absolutely necessary. That being said, if someone's feelings got hurt because a poster posted a negative review of the Viper there's not much we can do as opinions are opinions. As much as everyone would love to read happy, happy, joy joy praise of the Viper, that will not always be the case. Of course, if a poster is spamming the forums over and over again, attempting to change a thread's focus, hijack it, etc. then we will intervene. How much intervention is required will be up to the behavior of the poster.

We removed a few posts from this thread that has absolultely nothing to do with the topic at hand. We moved the title-level idea to the VCA Suggestion Box. We have not read the entire thread yet. If you believe a post or poster is violating the posting policies, please report the post using the Report Post feature and we will look into it.

If folks don't know what the posting policies are, they can be found here: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/654088-Current-VCA-Website-and-Forum-Posting-Policies

There's no need to respond to this post, consider this a warning.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Dawg

Your explanation is a little bit inaccurate, I do not think you would react in a very positive manner if non-customers of yours complained about their cars even though you never serviced them and even though those people (trolls) never intended to use your services - that is a little closer to what is happening in this forum. Those people are not "GREAT" for business.

Good responses by many of you. All kidding aside there are very few true "trolls" on this board. It's a mudslinging term used by the uber optimist to discredit opposing viewpoints. You people still miss the point, it goes right over your head. The extreme reactions are a GREAT thing. It underscores the fanaticism of the Viper group. Fanaticism is great for a brand.

It's like my customers who complain all of the time. I LOVE THEM. They are great for business. They ***** at me because they want me to FIX the problems. They give me the best input. The optimist do not help me. Without the naysayers the product would not be near as awesome.

Keep on "trolling".

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new car was designed on a budget likely about as much as GM spent to do the dash on the new Malibu,

With all due respect Bill, if that is the case (and I'm certain it is) SRT would have done better to forgo investing in 18 speakers, plastic engine covers, hydraulic motor mounts and all the other candya$$ crap, and instead put those funds towards "lobbying" race officials for less restrictions. The racers would ****** them up and the Viper's traditional raw image would have been restored. An image that had no competitor.

As it stands now however, they are going after the "refined" sports car market of which they don't stand much of a chance if any at all.

Just the humble opinion of a 13-year two Viper owner and Venom member.

sonofadragracer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect Bill, if that is the case (and I'm certain it is) SRT would have done better to forgo investing in 18 speakers, plastic engine covers, hydraulic motor mounts and all the other candya$$ crap, and instead put those funds towards "lobbying" race officials for less restrictions. The racers would ****** them up and the Viper's traditional raw image would have been restored. An image that had no competitor.

As it stands now however, they are going after the "refined" sports car market of which they don't stand much of a chance if any at all.

Jesus! FINALLY, somebody get's it! :headbang:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a good point. but they havent made the car is years for a reason. The President's bail out plan happened for a reason. Fiscal solvency as oppossed to receivership mostly. And sustained profitability is very important to brands. Take Porsche for example. Guys true to the brand embrace 911 Turbos, Carrera GT's and GT2 RS models. But then they made cayenne's, panamera's to the disdain of these guys and discovered they were never as profitable before, ever. Ferrai Maserati Bentley and Lamborghini have taken keen notice it seems as each of these brands have either production vehicles or concepts vehicles in line to compete with porsche and more importantly, to cash in.

Models such as the Kubang, the Urus, the exp 9f, the FF frustrate the hell outta the traditional, original ********* guys. At least Viper hasnt become a soccer mom cross over like some of these brands.

Perhaps the result will be the same as with Porsche. Namely by making refined vehicles like the new GTS, they will have the resources from the sales to make the ACR successor etc for the racer guys. I think that SRT had a great idea to try and please everyone: make the base SRT model for the ********* guys and the GTS for the guys that want a little refinement to their exotic. They did make an attempt, at least, in that regard.

rollymohan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the new viper is a beauty ,no corvette looks that beautiful.my brother and i both has corvettes and vipers presently,and i do appreciate hard work and good engineering by these manufactures.we all would of like to know the new viper would out perform the zr1,but in my opinion it did in many ways.please give the viper team a chance they love competition.hoping to get my yellow srt with track pack.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Welcome back Chuck...have missed your input on the Gen V, nannies not included of course :D . Speaking of which, what is your input on the Gen V Launch Control feature, functionally speaking? I've seen a few negative hits on it without explanation.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think you underestimate the budgets needed to make sure your brand wins in pro racing series. Besides SRT did pretty awesome for a scratch team starting mid season. Cutting back on the quality of speakers isnt buying you any championships when porsche, bmw and yes probably even corvette have as much "advertising" money as you used to build your race and street Vipers.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the new car was competitive and when I talked to an racer who campaigned a Viper for some years in SCCA and NARRA, he said the crashes were due to having to overdrive an uncompetitive car. Curious that Penske enabled them to win a NASCAR title but Dodge couldn't be bothered with that series - probably a few more Chargers and Challengers sold than Vipers. But the win on Sunday buy on Monday is probably dead anyway. I'm just not convinced SRT has their act together and it is not likely with the current rules that the cars will be competitive next year either. You can't have an elephant breathe through a straw. It seems the new car is better than the old as far as creature comforts go, but lacking in performance when compared to the older cars. They may get it all sorted out but I suspect many of us with "older" cars are looking at the new car and saying that what we have looks pretty good to us. But I know this from my limited track experience with my "old" car, neither we nor Corvette owners can drive them to the level of the car tests and so the bragging rights are just that - words. If you like the new car, buy it and don't worry about the time it takes to get to 150 mph. Just enjoy having a car that only a few folks have.

I think you underestimate the budgets needed to make sure your brand wins in pro racing series. Besides SRT did pretty awesome for a scratch team starting mid season. Cutting back on the quality of speakers isnt buying you any championships when porsche, bmw and yes probably even corvette have as much "advertising" money as you used to build your race and street Vipers.

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im talking about alms. The Vipers showed great improvement and were competitive at end of season.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm talking about ALMS too. With less than 14 entries in GT the Vipers consistently finished at or near the back of the pack - if they didn't crash. With a projected GT horsepower limit of around 450 HP, it seems hard, if not impossible to strangle an 8.1 liter motor (a throwback to the original car) to the level necessary to be competitive. You notice Corvette runs a 5.5 liter motor while BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, and Lotus all run 4 or 4.5 liter motors. With the rules the way they are, I just don't see the cars being competitive unless they get more intake leeway. I'm not knocking the car, just don't see the rules in our favor.

Im talking about alms. The Vipers showed great improvement and were competitive at end of season.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome back Chuck...have missed your input on the Gen V, nannies not included of course :D . Speaking of which, what is your input on the Gen V Launch Control feature, functionally speaking? I've seen a few negative hits on it without explanation.

It is a great car. No doubt about that. Just like Ferrari, Porsche and Corvette are great cars. But I don't want a Ferrari, Porsche or Corvette. I want my bare bones Viper that when it beats somebody they know it was the driver that beat them not the car. I want a bare bones Viper that doesn't require removing a nanny or purchasing nanny-friendly parts to perform regular maintenance or upgrades. I want a Viper that knows only one mode - fun mode and doesn't require button pushing riturals or exorcisms just to get it into the only mode a sports car should ever be in. I want a Viper that is dangerous in the hands of the wrong driver and ecstacy for the right one. I want a Viper that says "I don't give a damn what anyone thinks." I've got two of these cars and I'm keeping them both.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They had enough money in 98, 99 and 2000. But you could be correct. Maybe Fiat is broke?

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They had enough money in 98, 99 and 2000. But you could be correct. Maybe Fiat is broke?

I don't think anyone would argue that Ferrari is Fiat's primary when it comes to racing. I bet SRT is running in spite of, not because of fiat support. Certainly doesn't compare to Dodge running on it's own during pickup truck booming years vs recovering from a recession owned by another manufacturer. Not to mention they supported other teams, which is entirely different than running your own completely.

Add to that, the GTS-R was not a street car conversion like the new one is. It wasn't even built in the US. Most of the successful racing in late 90's was the GTS-R, and hardly the level of competition as the Current GT2 class with probably the most competitive factory racing in the modern era. Corvette Racing had been running GT1 for about 15 years and still had some growing pains when switching to GT2. And that was a 4-5 year old design when they got in bringing tech and knowledge from gt1. SRT started with a blank slate on a car that wasn't even released yet, and still did pretty well.

Last edited:

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, great to see others that are excited about this Gen V as I am. Love the enthusiasm!

I thought everyone made solid points, and would like to respond to this one:

You would be surprised how much some of us "newb's" understand and "get" the Viper heritage. I don't think there's a single Viper guy that isn't disappointed by the Laguna Seca defeat by the ZR1. But there are plenty of current Viper owners and newbies that choose to not dwell on one loss, we look at the bigger picture.

We have lost a couple of battles, but not the war.

Mediocrity? Really? Let's look at the big picture. Here's how I would rate the Viper, this doesn't sum up to mediocrity. My opinion only, but supported by the majority of the automotive press:

Acceleration - world class
Styling - world class
Interior - world class
"Toys", as Jalopnik calls them - world class
Handling - world class
Braking - very good, not world class YET
Tires - very good, not world class YET

Now here's what I've learned, reading posts by some of the more knowledgeable in this forum. I submit that the game is not over. It may be as simple as this - tweak these three things and the Viper may be able to beat the ZR1 at Laguna Seca:

Tires
Brake pads
Aero, perhaps even the carbon fiber aero package that SRT will offer in February

Those are easy knobs for SRT to turn! Didn't you notice that GM has been improving the Corvette year after year, why wouldn't you give SRT the benefit of the doubt that they will do the same?

And if that's not enough, I'm sure SRT has a few tricks that up their sleeve when they introduce the Gen V ACR. And I'm sure they're stinging from the loss to the old ZR1 at Seca, and are highly motivated to make the Viper kick ass on the track.

Keep the faith!

Very good post.

sonofadragracer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think anyone would argue that Ferrari is Fiat's primary when it comes to racing.

I think this right here has a lot more to do w/the situation at hand then we know. The Motor Heads and R & D people from Dodge/Chrysler etc. know how to build a heck of a car. They've done it in the past.
I'm really starting to think that Ferrari / Fiat etc. really put the clamps down on this one. "We can't have the Viper stealing the Ferrari's thunder" so to speak.
Kind of like the NHRA, they don't allow Rocket Dragsters anymore (mainly for safety reasons) and they keep the Jet Dragsters tuned down so they won't steal the damn TF Dragsters Thunder.

I'm just throwing this out there, but at this point. I bet Winkle and crew proposed dropping the compression and running a Roe Roots type supercharger on there. Can you imagine.
Competition = Toast!

Just. my .02

Last edited:
Reaction score
Would need a new hood design to fit the blower more then likely.

I think this right there has a lot more to do w/the situation at hand then we know. The Motor Heads and R & D people from Dodge/Chrysler etc. know how to build a heck of a car. They've done it in the past.
I'm really starting to think that Ferrari / Fiat etc. really put the clamps down on this one. "We can't have the Viper stealing the Ferrari's thunder" so to speak.
Kind of like the NHRA, they don't allow Rocket Dragsters anymore (mainly for safety reasons) and they keep the Jet Dragsters tuned down so they won't steal the damn TF Dragsters Thunder.

I'm just throwing this out there, but at this point. I bet Winkle in crew proposed dropping the compression and running a Roe Roots type supercharger on there. Can you imagine.
Competition = Toast!

Just. my .02

1badacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me clarify as I tried to cram a lot of info into as short a post as possible.

Yes, the Gen 2 comfortably beat the C5Z, but the C5Z was not a world class performer like the C6Z started off as, and has been agree? The Gen 2 was an 11.7, 11.8 @ 119 ish or so car while the C5Z was a 12.1 or so car at 117 except for when GM took one to the track and got an 11.8, but that's not really independent testing. In the real world though, we saw the cars were pretty close. In the C5 Generation, GM stopped at the Z06, so the Gen 2/3 didn't have to face a ZR1 level opponent from the same shores (the ultimate benchmark for the Viper).

Remember the fastest real world times (guys like Ranger and Wanted) were pretty nip and tuck. I think they did actually end up at the track for a competition but it's been so long I can't remember who won, or if the track competition was between the C5Z and Gen 2 or C6Z and Gen 4. But those names were at/near the top of the time sheets for both. However when the Gen IV vs C6Z came about you had guys like Jamie Furman and the other guy in the Vette (can't remember his name) added to the mix and still the best times were VERY close. The Gen IV was significantly stronger than the Z06 in high speed pulls, but their 1/4 mile times as tested by the mag (don't forget what criteria we are using 0-60 & 1/4 mile as tested by magazines) was still very close.

My point about the other cars like Gumpert etc. is that you didn't have the same number nor same performance bar when the Gen 1 & 2 were around. The Gen 1 and 2 had far fewer and far less potent supercars to contend with in assessing it's performance vs the rest of the world. Because at the end of the day, that matters too.

I have owned a C5R 427 Twin Turbo C5 Coupe, then had a deposit on a Gen 2 GTS that I backed out of due to advise from this forum on the dealers rep, looked at a few more but ended up a few months later stumbling into a 996 TT. Converted it to track car and have had it since (2006). Have also owned BMW M5. In essence, I like everything (except the GTR) and will have another Corvette, or Viper in the not so distant future. I honestly have no bias. But have extensive history as an enthusiast of pretty much everything.

Ok you clarify what I pretty much was thinking, you are from the corvette forum, I'll take that you are a car enthusiast , as I applaud real car people.
However as a viper and corvette owner, I can tell you that "real world" 1/4 numbers and the word Ranger, should be
Called "perfect world", all those very low track numbers are all run at MIR, are not your typical 1/4 numbers, all those
times, are run at ,Track rentals, optimal track, prep, -Da, weather temps, that most real world people will never see.
Ranger has all those computer gizmos that measure everything.

12.1 is not typical for a C5 Z, more like 12.3-12.8, depending on driver( I went 12.3 @116 in my C5Z and 11.69 @120
In my gen 2 ACR(average time 12.20 for gen 2 , 11.80's on gen 3) same track summer air, both stock.

I went 11.40's @124 in my C6 Z
You believe the C6Z is a 10 second car, its not, was done once in conditions I just described and only once.

All in all real word the gen 2/3vipers were 7-9 10th quicker than the C5Z's , as were gen 2/3 viper were 3-5 10th slower than c6z depending on driver.

Just don't get to caught up with that fast list over there, all the fastest times are at the same track and can't be
Duplicated at other tracks.

I understand why you brought up the gumpert , but again, only people in corvettes forums, only bring that up, you
Won't find the gumpert being discussed in much of any of the viper forums .

I like the cars you list(expect for the BMW and it can outperform any of the cars mentioned) I like the C5 vette much
Better than the C6, a TT 427 even better.

It seems that you are coming from a place who think the corvette is the only car that matters, and most over there ,
Don't know squat about the history of the viper(I can see its rubbed of on you a tad), but if you want to learn about
Vipers from people who own and drive them, this is a great place, as I can bet 97% of viper owners had multiple
Corvettes.

Point is Viper has always dominated corvette, this is why corvette are so excited and viper people are PO'd, people who own these cars expect Viper to do what it has always done, and this is dominate the competition(not just the vette),
And look good doing it.

The viper from its inception has always been the dominant of the 2 cars, that is just Viper history, regardless of all the
Of the other high power brands being out there.

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not FROM Corvette forum. I post there, but primarily only in the Road Racing section because I know a lot of people from there that I see at the track often. I'm all too familiar with the NE tracks like E-town etc. where they always seem to have the fastest times etc.. You seem very selective in your use of data. I have no reason to ignore the fast list, because all of them are not from the NE. There are fast Viper drivers that go to the very same tracks.

You seem to ascertain a lot about me by dissecting my words far too closely. I really could care less, I like both cars and have no emotional investment in who wins. The C5 was not a world class performer, and according to the fastest times listed, was not dominated by the Gen 2. Nor, according to the 1/4 mile and 0-60 tests we are using did the Gen IV dominate the C6. There was little road race testing in the late 90's early 2000's so we don't really have any data with which to relate current times, but you don't think the mag drivers from then (who couldn't really drive well) would have been any less scared of the Viper do you?

I'm glad you decided to ONLY select the Gumpert out of all the cars I mentioned. I'm not arguing about fastest production car etc like the desperate corvette fanboys do any more than I'm interested in their splitter argument. I simply mentioned every manufacturer I could think of that has set some high performance benchmarks.

This is entertainment for me, I only take real driving seriously. And I'm not a good drag racer (never tried to be). I stick to the road course. Ultimately I'd like to see what the Viper does on the same set of tires (as ZR1), because anyone worth their salt knows that when you get to the road course, that is one of the first things changed is tires. The cars are pretty evenly matched otherwise. I happen to like a good battle that when it hits the streets will come down to the driver.

Relax man, you don't know me, no need in trying to pick my words apart to find something that's not there.

Ok you clarify what I pretty much was thinking, you are from the corvette forum, I'll take that you are a car enthusiast , as I applaud real car people.
However as a viper and corvette owner, I can tell you that "real world" 1/4 numbers and the word Ranger, should be
Called "perfect world", all those very low track numbers are all run at MIR, are not your typical 1/4 numbers, all those
times, are run at ,Track rentals, optimal track, prep, -Da, weather temps, that most real world people will never see.
Ranger has all those computer gizmos that measure everything.

12.1 is not typical for a C5 Z, more like 12.3-12.8, depending on driver( I went 12.3 @116 in my C5Z and 11.69 @120
In my gen 2 ACR(average time 12.20 for gen 2 , 11.80's on gen 3) same track summer air, both stock.

I went 11.40's @124 in my C6 Z
You believe the C6Z is a 10 second car, its not, was done once in conditions I just described and only once.

All in all real word the gen 2/3vipers were 7-9 10th quicker than the C5Z's , as were gen 2/3 viper were 3-5 10th slower than c6z depending on driver.

Just don't get to caught up with that fast list over there, all the fastest times are at the same track and can't be
Duplicated at other tracks.

I understand why you brought up the gumpert , but again, only people in corvettes forums, only bring that up, you
Won't find the gumpert being discussed in much of any of the viper forums .

I like the cars you list(expect for the BMW and it can outperform any of the cars mentioned) I like the C5 vette much
Better than the C6, a TT 427 even better.

It seems that you are coming from a place who think the corvette is the only car that matters, and most over there ,
Don't know squat about the history of the viper(I can see its rubbed of on you a tad), but if you want to learn about
Vipers from people who own and drive them, this is a great place, as I can bet 97% of viper owners had multiple
Corvettes.

Point is Viper has always dominated corvette, this is why corvette are so excited and viper people are PO'd, people who own these cars expect Viper to do what it has always done, and this is dominate the competition(not just the vette),
And look good doing it.

The viper from its inception has always been the dominant of the 2 cars, that is just Viper history, regardless of all the
Of the other high power brands being out there.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cars are pretty evenly matched otherwise. .

IMHO, there is an element within the Viper nation that believes that there was a time when nothing was "pretty evenly matched" to the Viper AND they don't want any other current car, Corvette included, to be "pretty evenly matched" to the Gen V Viper. That desire for a performance advantage over everything and anything else on the road is based on a perception of history seems to energize the outcry. :2tu:

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, there is an element within the Viper nation that believes that there was a time when nothing was "pretty evenly matched" to the Viper AND they don't want any other current car, Corvette included, to be "pretty evenly matched" to the Gen V Viper. That desire for a performance advantage over everything and anything else on the road based on a perception of history seems to energize the outcry. :2tu:

I think your assessment is very accurate. I also think many of them are regurgitating what somebody else said, and most of those that do have any knowledge drive like grandma's yet want the worlds fastest magazine car to sit in their garage collecting dust so they can bench race on the internet. Would be interesting to see how many of the Gen V bashers have ever been to a drag strip, track or even recorded a 0-60 to test their skills.

There is a bugatti veyron that runs 9 second 1/4 mile and 260 mph top speed, yet people want to compare 2013 to 1995 and 2000 like its apples to apples and expect srt to make a world ****** funded by ebt. There is more respect for the Viper everywhere else but the viper forum.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your assessment is very accurate. I also think many of them are regurgitating what somebody else said, and most of those that do have any knowledge drive like grandma's yet want the worlds fastest magazine car to sit in their garage collecting dust so they can bench race on the internet. Would be interesting to see how many of the Gen V bashers have ever been to a drag strip, track or even recorded a 0-60 to test their skills.

There is a bugatti veyron that runs 9 second 1/4 mile and 260 mph top speed, yet people want to compare 2013 to 1995 and 2000 like its apples to apples and expect srt to make a world ****** funded by ebt. There is more respect for the Viper everywhere else but the viper forum.

I am one of those, but it is because I want the Ultimate Mopar.

Bruce

1badacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not include all enthusiasts in the folowing, this pertains to just a select few. This is getting really bad, one corvette owner/lover (enthusiast) makes a viper slam and another corvette owner/lover agrrees and thinks his post qualifies the first inane post. What is also irrating, this forum is for postive or constructive criticism and that is not what this forum has turned into. Get off your band box and and go back to the corvette forum, the pic's of the new vette are posted, that in itself should be a huge job for a select group of enthusiasts on this board to defend.

Hit it on the head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456