Out numbered

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys all coming out to the "Big one" at Haugens on the 25th of August ??? Come on - lets all go........
There's gonna be lots of nice shiny metal to look at.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that I will go. What is a good time to get there? I haven't been to Haugens in a couple of years.

Still the same. Weekly starts late afternoon till dark. The Big One satarts at like 11 AM.....

Is it always on a Wed night? (Thats my golf night....):dunno:

Yup. Unless you want to go on Thursdays and then you get to see all bikes!:D

OP
OP
H

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had my car towed to the dealership with a clutch pedal with no tension. I can't get it in gear. Waiting now for the old estimate phone call...lol. If I have the car back tonight I might take a run up. But I have to leave around 6:30.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think i will go tonite.
Handyman - which dealership did you go to ?

OP
OP
H

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last year I used Durham Dodge beside the GO station and I had to show them how to open the hood and it took them 4 weeks to get me a new battery, so I DID NOT take it there.

I took it to Menzies Dodge on Champlain in Whitby.. Will let you know how they do

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year I used Durham Dodge beside the GO station and I had to show them how to open the hood and it took them 4 weeks to get me a new battery, so I DID NOT take it there.

I took it to Menzies Dodge on Champlain in Whitby.. Will let you know how they do

:smirk: yeah, I got some opinions on the dealers around here......
Hope to see you tonite - if you get your car back. Hopefully it will be a simple fix.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey Big Al - I saw your car at Haugens tonite. I was only there for 5 minutes before I got asked to leave:lmao: I must apologize to all the Viper folk who are desperately trying to eliminate the "arrogant" or "cocky" presumption which is attached to Viper drivers.

But first some context;

I pull in off the highway and before my front tire gets into the parking lot - Mr. gatekeeper motions me to go to the other side of the parking lot. (in the old "get over there" style) I wasn't going to be allowed in the main gate. No prob. I understand that it is a classic car show and speciality vehicles are allowed off to the one side which is a direct line of sight to the left of the main gate (yet you still get asked to drive 1/2 km around the other side of the building). So I drive to the north to find a cube van blocking the entrance to the rear grass area. I go back to the gatekeeper and politely tell him that entrance is blocked, can he make an exception and let me thru the gate and I will park off onto the lawn with the other later model vehicles. He said No. So I politely asked if that means if I can't find a way in on the other side I should leave? He smirks, hands up in the air. Allright then. I told him to have a good night and slowly start driving to the north exit. As I get ready to pull out I see a biker pull out behind the building and a car width space open up to let me thru. So I say ockay and drive over the grass, speed berm and pooling puddle of septic. I park near the grey Viper (I'm assuming Al's) and get out and start to walk around. I notice there is a couple of late model cars including a vette in the "classic" section that obviously came thru the main gate. Ockay, I tell myself - breathe deeply and relax - lets not get upset. So as I'm walking by another late model car - a 1990's vette pulls into the main gate and he gets greeted warmly and passes thru. Allright that's it - I have to say something - but I'll try to be diplomatic. I walked up to the gate and asked Mr. Gatekeeper a simple question; "Are there different rules for different people?" Once again, a smirk and arms up in the air. To make a long story shorter, It got messy, then he lied and said he didn't see him drive in (although 3 of them were standing right there - I saw the vette come in) Eventually, the gatekeeper, the owner, his henchman, and myself got into a confrontation that was getting noticeable attention. I told them I wasn't trying to start an argument but I just needed my question answered so I would know in the future. Anyhow, I'm sure I looked like an idiot but it was obviously biased and I couldn't keep my mouth shut. It's a GM town and I guess they can make their own rules - but I wasn't going to let them think I didn't notice.

Sooooooo....... ah yeah, I won't be going to the "big one" next week:2tu:

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry that happened to you. Hopefully we will get a chance to meet again. A blue and two yellow Vipers came in after you left. Too bad some volunteers take the momentary authority to their heads and spoil what is supposed to be a fun experience for all.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry that happened to you. Hopefully we will get a chance to meet again. A blue and two yellow Vipers came in after you left. Too bad some volunteers take the momentary authority to their heads and spoil what is supposed to be a fun experience for all.

Yeah, sorry we didn't meet up. This was the first car show I have gone to all year, and since joining the VCA I was hoping to meet some fellow area Viper owners such as yourself. I spent 2 hours detailing the Viper earlier today. The two yellow ones were probably Mopar Boy and a guy named Jay. I have talked to Jay a few times in past years.
Oh well.....
I just wanted to leave the impression to the co-ordinators and Haugen's owner that us car guys have the same interests and passion as the next car guy and we should all show each other common courtesy and fairness - but then it got out of hand.
Hope to see you in the future. At least I know that Silver was yours!

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad - Sorry we did not get to meet. Yes, I was the other yellow car.

Funny. I got the same greeting two years ago. Guy was an ass. I always thought it had to do with my age. Never thought it could be the brand thing. Hmmm. Interesting. Today was the first time I have had the Viper at the show since the time I was almost turfed.

I pulled in, no gatekeeper. I parked on the paved section. I was no sooner opening my door when I was told I could not park there. I asked why? Old cars only, I needed to go around back. Told him due to the pile of stuff he had back there and uneven ground, I couldn't. He said then go home. :(

He then noticed my father in the passenger seat and made a last get out or leave, then took off. I had not been back since. Was hoping things had changed. Why cant they see that we are all there for the same reason: our love of cars.

Sorry to hear things have not changed and you were given a hard time. :( Dont let it get to you. I let it get to me and it ate at me for a long time. No one as the right to take someone elses happiness away.

Al - Was a pleasure speaking with you! Very nice car by the way as well! :2tu:

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mopar Boy for sharing your story with me. I too was hoping to meet you tonite. Your comments on this board are always entertaining and interesting to read.
Its funny 'cause my initial thought was that it was an age thing too - An age thing AND a Viper thing put together ;)
I've had enough experience with that to recognize it immediately. (Just another young punk with daddys money) :rolaugh:
I'll take your advice and try to let it go - but man, it is eating me up tonite.... :cool:

Chad - Sorry we did not get to meet. Yes, I was the other yellow car.

Funny. I got the same greeting two years ago. Guy was an ass. I always thought it had to do with my age. Never thought it could be the brand thing. Hmmm. Interesting. Today was the first time I have had the Viper at the show since the time I was almost turfed.

I pulled in, no gatekeeper. I parked on the paved section. I was no sooner opening my door when I was told I could not park there. I asked why? Old cars only, I needed to go around back. Told him due to the pile of stuff he had back there and uneven ground, I couldn't. He said then go home. :(

He then noticed my father in the passenger seat and made a last get out or leave, then took off. I had not been back since. Was hoping things had changed. Why cant they see that we are all there for the same reason: our love of cars.

Sorry to hear things have not changed and you were given a hard time. :( Dont let it get to you. I let it get to me and it ate at me for a long time. No one as the right to take someone elses happiness away.

Al - Was a pleasure speaking with you! Very nice car by the way as well! :2tu:

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
chiefchad. I could tell you had detailed your car,it really did shine. I only cleaned the bugs off my window, silver seems to hide a lot of dirt.

This was my first car show with the Viper.

I had heard that Haugens was not as big as it used to be, perhaps the friendly gate keeper has been discourage other autoholics.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct. Last night was the smallest I have ever seen. Granted, as I have not been there in two years, I was just chalking it up to being the week before the big one..... Makes sense again though.

OP
OP
H

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Guys... That story *****, and I have also noticed that their numbers are down form years past. I hate the fact that they have all that room now and they still make us park around back like second class citizens.

I tried to email them and let them know how I feel but they turned off their email. Maybe too many complaints coming in?

I think I'll be giving haugens a pass until they get a new aditude.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys - thanks for your thoughts.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I was thinkin....
A lot of car shows now have the main "classic" section and then a smaller area seperate from the classics where speciality or sports cars can park. It makes good business sense really, as alot of younger people and kids not only get to see the old classics, but they also get to see the cars they currently desire just like on the posters they have at home in their bedrooms. The increased participation from the kids attending makes the parents more likely to come. More business, more happiness, and the benefit of exposing younger enthusiasts to the classic cars.... then more appreciation of older cars, more interest in dad's interests, more bonding of kids and parents, and thus attending more shows etc. etc. It's a win win car continuum. (that rhymes by the way) Now, Haugens does allow both (at their discretion of course) so why can't we all drive in the same gate ? The lawn area with the newer cars is just right there to the left past the main gate? The classics have the big parking lot ahead and to the right. It doesn't make sense to have to make the new cars drive all around the building and drive over dirt, water and berms to get to the lawn area - and thats ONLY if the way isn't blocked by the regular restaraunt parking. Ockay so maybe thats their plan... but they do let in newer cars at the main gate depending on whether they feel like it or not. Like is that some sacred gate they are protecting? Only the privileged will pass !! :dunno: :rolaugh:
I guess the sinners must drive the path of shame and enter thru the gates of hell - if they are open that is.:D Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that back "entrance" goes over the septic pipes and weeper tile - so its a bad business move regardless. For a place that size and needing a high capacity multi stage commercial septic install would prob. cost a quarter of a million nowadays to replace.
But honestly,,,, I'm over it.....(sniff)
I just got something in my eye - thats all.

(....back to putting my face in the pillow and sobbing uncontrollably ) ;)

Last edited:

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes a lot of car shows allow newer special interest vehicles in. The White church Stoufville car show allows the Trillium Miata club in with up to 50 to 60 cars and they do give them a special area. MotorCity car show would allow the Vipers to come as a club and as long as there is at least 6 cars. With moving this month I would not be able to participate this year. I know of other shows that will let newer cars attend but you have to contact them inadvance to get the go ahead. They usually want a customized car or special interest not a new everday regular driver. After all you can see them at the dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21