Owners of 08s with 3.55 Gears Report

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top end on stock Viper Gen 3-4 is like 199 mph, right? How much top end does the 3:55 and the 3:73 take away? Will the car now top out at 170 mph? I am curious b/c I have had 4 or five races in which I exceeded 170 mph...got up to 185 mph in one race and had a 10+ car length lead on the competitor. I dont want to lose that.

Reaction score
Top end on stock Viper Gen 3-4 is like 199 mph, right? How much top end does the 3:55 and the 3:73 take away? Will the car now top out at 170 mph? I am curious b/c I have had 4 or five races in which I exceeded 170 mph...got up to 185 mph in one race and had a 10+ car length lead on the competitor. I dont want to lose that.

The cars top end with the 3.07 is power and drag limited. The rpms are low enough that it will not pull 6th. With the 3.73 you will get much deeper into 6th. If I have a chance this weekend I will find out and let you know.

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The top speed with factory gearing at redline in 6th would be around 325mph. 6th gear at .5, 3.07 rear, 6200RL & 345/30/19.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top speed of 202 mph with stock 3.07 gears is done in 5th at 5450 rpm,as per Road&Track test.
Steeper gears would allow to reach redline in fifth and maybe exceed that in 6th?
Claude

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Jon B. and after a long discussion I am convinced on the 3.55 Now I just have to have the time to go to Unitrax in Cali to have them installed. Hopefully sometime after the Mopars at the Strip (march 20-22) Its the perfect time for me to test the 3.07s for a before comparison. Just a little plug for JP!

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I do not have a Gen4 car I do make similar power and can say that 3.55s rock and are one of the best mods I have ever done to a Viper.

Yes, on some road courses there may be a better choice, I looked for but can't find the gear ratio calculator that Dave Adkins wrote a few years back and used to be in the FAQ section. If memory serves, redline in 5th is around 177.

As with any other modification you may find the weak link, if it is cold outside or your tires are hard, they will not stick too well but on a hot summer day, whiplash and a smile on the driver are the results of 3.55 gear swaps!

OP
OP
F

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I do not have a Gen4 car I do make similar power and can say that 3.55s rock and are one of the best mods I have ever done to a Viper.

Yes, on some road courses there may be a better choice, I looked for but can't find the gear ratio calculator that Dave Adkins wrote a few years back and used to be in the FAQ section. If memory serves, redline in 5th is around 177.

As with any other modification you may find the weak link, if it is cold outside or your tires are hard, they will not stick too well but on a hot summer day, whiplash and a smile on the driver are the results of 3.55 gear swaps!

With the 3.55s, did you ever wish you had more gear (3.73s)?

Flash

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not driven 3.73s but have 3.55s in my car and stock gears in the wife's SRT, the difference (even back when the power was virtually the same) was incredible.

If you do drag racing or drive somewhere where the tires get very hot and sticky then possibly the 3.73s would be of benefit, for us in the NW, unless I am on the track with slicks, I have more than enough power to overwhelm the tires in 1st and 2nd. Even on a summer day I can get enough rubber to scare the passengers in a spirited 2-3 shift near redline.

My car has done a few open track events where the 3.55s seem to work strong coming out of corners but it depends on the track. I also did the Silver State Classic where we cruised at just over 130 mph for 41 minutes and also did a standing 1 mile run at over 5k feet of elevation, the 3.55s were the perfect gear for both, I accelerated well but wasn't on redline or running out of gas even when we bumped up to 165 (to pass the Mallet Corvette) on the long straight away.

Last edited:

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not driven 3.73s but have 3.55s in my car and stock gears in the wife's SRT, the difference (even back when the power was virtually the same) was incredible.
Smaller diameter tire increases overall ratio. So when comparing betwen GenII with gears and stock GenIII the gear difference is even more exagerated. We had same senario my old 97 w/3.55 & exhaust would outrun on my wife's stock GenIII.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hhmmmmmm.... I would love to see the Viper that can do 325mph and with stock gears non the less. :lmao: Sorry dude but 200 and change is the most on a recorded run. Could be wrong though.

Dude! All I am saying is that the car is GEARED to do 325 so chaning from 3.07 to 3.55 isnt going to give up any top end. Top end is limited to other factors like drag & HP. Where did I say it could do 325? :rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh: Sorry dude but I thought the calculators would help you understand that.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today is my first break-in day for the 3:55's. They are the ****. Test & tune results to follow in a few days. I think for me they are perfect and the best mod of all.:drive:

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mark,

Do you think the SC cars need a gear change also? I'm thinking 0-60 will then require a shift and slow you down?

Reaction score
Mark....if you just bought a new 2008 Viper, what ratio would you put in it and why?

Thanks,

Flash

Flash,

I did just by a new Viper and I chose the 3.73...with a Quaife differential as Michael alluded to. It may be too much gear for most but I really really like the fun factor and could care less about a number to brag about I just want the car to be as fun as possible. There is a lot of 1st gear wheel spin, but it is controllable and not jerky at all compared to the 3.07. You can let the clutch out going slow and actually drive around that way rather than clutch in clutch out clutch in clutch out.

I have not had a chance to run up against anything but a bike from a roll and the gear in this situation will NEVER disappoint you hahaha! How often does a short speed contest end at 60? there is still a shift involved at some time and if you are good at it then don't worry you will have your chance.

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those of you with a GEN3- when you did the gear swap did you use the stock differential?

Gary Weeks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quick run down with 3.55 gears in an 08. Just remember I was writing and driving so the is a margin of error! This was actual speed at 6000 rpm!
1st 50 mph
2nd 75 mph
3rd 105 mph
4th 137 mph
5th 185 mph
6th Not enough road but if it had the power 270 mph:omg::2tu:

Reaction score
Quick run down with 3.55 gears in an 08. Just remember I was writing and driving so the is a margin of error! This was actual speed at 6000 rpm!
1st 50 mph
2nd 75 mph
3rd 105 mph
4th 137 mph
5th 185 mph
6th Not enough road but if it had the power 270 mph:omg::2tu:

Come on Gary there is an extra 300 rpm in each gear!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21