Owners of 08s with 3.55 Gears Report

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cars top end with the 3.07 is power and drag limited. The rpms are low enough that it will not pull 6th. With the 3.73 you will get much deeper into 6th. If I have a chance this weekend I will find out and let you know.

mark, run report :drive: coming? :dunno:

Gary Weeks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Come on Gary there is an extra 300 rpm in each gear!!!!!!
Mark
I just said that it was at 6000 rpm I didn't say it wouldn't go faster:D It gets a little blurry around 6500rpm for some reason?
Does the new PCM move the shift light up? If so what rpm does it come on? It seams like the fuel shut off is at 6500 rpm but again it get's a little hard to see going that fast:dunno:

Reaction score
mark, run report :drive: coming? :dunno:

Well I can tell you that the 3.73 will go a indicated and verified 193 in 5th using the additional rpm SRT has given me with the PCM. Is that fast enough as it
needs to be given how quickly I got there? Well...yes and NO

I'm a little more than embarrassed to tell you that even though it would probably have pulled into 6th relatively well I will never be finding that out...since there is no place you could actually do this...again...:brick::cop::cop::cop::rlz::slap:
I was very fortunate that the helpful trio did not feel the need to do worse once they discovered who I was, where I worked and what I did... lol not even for not displaying the in transits... lucky... nope... BLESSED for sure...STUPID... definitely. :(

Had fun while it lasted though so please do not try this at home.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I can tell you that the 3.73 will go a indicated and verified 193 in 5th using the additional rpm SRT has given me with the PCM. Is that fast enough as it

I'm a little more than embarrassed to tell you that even though it would probably have pulled into 6th relatively well I will never be finding that out...since there is no place you could actually do this...again...:brick::cop::cop::cop::rlz::slap:
I was very fortunate that the helpful trio did not feel the need to do worse once they discovered who I was, where I worked and what I did... lol not even for not displaying the in transits... lucky... nope... BLESSED for sure...STUPID... definitely. :(

torn btw shhhhhwwwweeeeeeet :headbang: & nniiiiiiiiiccee :headbang:

thanks

absolutely agree, better to be blessed than lucky :2tu:

Gary Weeks

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That would have to be very near 6500 rpm! I wonder how much that would have cost?:dunno:

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, this thread was very informative. I am planning on doing this mod in the springtime. I think I will go with the 3.55 based on everything I read and conversations I had with Chuck Tator.

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 3:73's arrived yesterday from Woodhouse and may get installed thursday or friday, weather permitting I will try to run a comparison test and post results.

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got 20's in the rear and I was wondering if getting the 3:73's would be like comparing the 3:55's to the OEM 19". I can definitely feel a slower response with the 20's and I know that I need to do a gear swap. I was thinking originally about going with a 3:55 but now I am thinking more along the lines of the 3:73. Seems like if I do a 3:55 with the 20's, it will feel more like stock. Does that make any sense?

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got 20's in the rear and I was wondering if getting the 3:73's would be like comparing the 3:55's to the OEM 19". I can definitely feel a slower response with the 20's and I know that I need to do a gear swap. I was thinking originally about going with a 3:55 but now I am thinking more along the lines of the 3:73. Seems like if I do a 3:55 with the 20's, it will feel more like stock. Does that make any sense?

Simple Math : Your new 20"tires being 28" high vs the stockers 27"high, your rear axle ratio is reduced to 96.4% of the gear used. (27 divided by 28)
Your stock 3.07 rear now acts like a 2.96 gear.
3.33 would = 3.21
3.55 would = 3.42
3.73 would = 3.60
Claude

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick run down with 3.55 gears in an 08. Just remember I was writing and driving so the is a margin of error! This was actual speed at 6000 rpm!
1st 50 mph
2nd 75 mph
3rd 105 mph
4th 137 mph
5th 185 mph
6th Not enough road but if it had the power 270 mph:omg::2tu:

How did Gary only get 185 and Mark hit 193? I really am more concerned with top speed in 4th gear, real world not calculator. I would like to see 132 to 134 with the 373. Can you test one more time Mark? If you get caught tell them your weren't doing IT again, it was just a 4th gear roll on this time.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdown SilveRT8. I'm looking at a 19/20 inch setup. Those #'s help.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done (or know of anyone) 3.33 gears on an '08/'09. Yes, I know that this would yield a modest result and may not be a particularly good bang for the buck, but I'd just like to know if anyone can post a firsthand review. I've been told that someone in Illinois has done this. Don't know if he/she's a member or participates in this forum.

I hate these threads. They always cost me money!

OP
OP
F

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put 3.33s on my 06 and honestly couldnt tell the difference. I told myself I wouldt make that mistake again and am going to go with the 3.55s on my 08.

Has anyone done (or know of anyone) 3.33 gears on an '08/'09. Yes, I know that this would yield a modest result and may not be a particularly good bang for the buck, but I'd just like to know if anyone can post a firsthand review. I've been told that someone in Illinois has done this. Don't know if he/she's a member or participates in this forum.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put 3.33s on my 06 and honestly couldnt tell the difference. I told myself I wouldt make that mistake again and am going to go with the 3.55s on my 08.

Thanks Flash. It's a 7.5% change from stock to the 3.33's. I'm not sure of how your experience with an '06 would change with an '08 (if much at all). I think it might be a bit more apparent especially in the lower range where the car would be a bit "quicker" since the '06 may be a bit snappier in the lower ranges. Hard to judge. :dunno:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scott, the way you drive I figure you should just go for an automatic. :D

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any new feedback from people who have done a gear swap in an '08-'09?

New Feedback?

It is STILL the # 1 bang-4-buck performance mod you can consider....a "Poor Man's Supercharger"

But if you choose a 3:73 (vs 3:55) on a G4, you BETTER have it pointed where you wanna go, it is very easy to swing the rear out if you mash the loud pedal......

wing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I posted this about 3 weeks ago and I am still very happy with the choices. I absolutely recommend 3.55 for the street. I think the shifter change is underrated. With the lower gears you naturally shift more and it makes it so much nicer.

Drove my 08 coupe with 800 miles on it 400 miles to Woodhouse. 22.5 MPG on the way down mostly cruising at 80 MPH in 6th (1500 RPM).

Had Belanger headers and cats, Corsa exhaust, 3.55 gears, MGW shifter, MGW knob and Mopar PCM installed.

On the way home got 20.5 MPG but was playing with car more and running more in 5th.

3.55 gears were an excellent recommendation for my driving style and area where I live.

MGW shifter and knob was well worth the money. Shifts are much easier and nicer. Your hand when resting on shifter is at the perfect height to work radio and the feel of the shifter is great.

When the car starts it just barks. Love the sound. Could see where some people might not like it. You can make the car sound like a Japanese water cooled V twin or a 102 CI straight pipe Harley depending on RPM and gas pedal.

The PCM seems to make the car sound like it has a cam in it. The idle, which might still be adjusting definitely has a different feel.

Want to thank Aaron and Fred for the great work on the car. I delivered the car on Thursday at 0800 and left at 1030 Friday.

Mark had my take off parts shipped out by 1200 that day and where at my home Monday.

All in all I am very Happy with the changes.

Thanks Aaron, Fred and Mark

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone still loving the 3.55's? My birthday is coming up and I think I need to treat myself with something nice since the car will be out of warranty soon :D

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are some notes here from track guys and the question of whether the cars that do alot of road courses should go to 3.55s. For years I would have said leave the 3.07s alone if you primarily do road course use, but that , I feel , changed with the Gen IVs. With a PCM and 3.55 gears the cars pulls farther through the gears than you would expect, and has tons of grunt out of tight corners.

Ted Hughes, who is also racing in the ACR-X cup, was more than gracious in letting me drive his 08 Viper Violet ACR for what ended up being an entire morning session ( I did say he was gracious, I said nothing about me not being a complete unabashed track ***** ). This absolutely blew me away from previously running alot of Gen IIs , as the extra rpm allowable seemed to be matched perfectly to the 3.55s. We also had installed headers on this car and it ruined me for life ( three weeks later there was an ACR in my garage ).

I will be the first to admit that I am completely wrong about the gears for the Gen IVs, especially, as I still suggest folks stay with 3.07s in the old cars to keep shifting at a minimum. The extra rpms and the power up top on the VVT 8.4 means the gears work and the power band is sweet -- not alot of shifting necessary. I would not recommend the 3.73s for road course use, but for the street and the strip , that may be the way to go --- big rush riding in Mark's wicked wagon.

Lastly , for those folks that run really fast tracks like Willow Springs or Road America , the 3.33 might be better , or possibly even stock, but I have a feeling the 3.55 is the best overall gear change , as it is great for most of the newer tracks that limit speeds to maybe 130-145 tops , even in a Viper.

Gotta get gears for my ride ............actually gotta get alot of things , damn addictive machines!:2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
3:55 up to 650 HP.
the '10 5th gear ratio will make it sweeter still

as BP found in the ACRx

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when I had the 96 GTS, I used to race another gen II gts that had gears..... if we ran in 1st or 2nd gear he would jump, and I would start to pull in 3rd gear. if we ran from 3rd gear, I would pull with my stock gears.... does changing the gears give better power down low but take away from the top end pulling power?

You see I have experianced exactly the same thing..

My 2003 srt10 had intake/.roller rockers for 459 rwhp.

My buddy had a 2002 GTS ACR that had intake/exhaust/roller rockers/headers at 450 rwhp

the cars were both around the same weight (33xx pounds)

The 9 rwhp advatage I had (same dyno)was off set by his 1 inch smaller rear tires..

esentially these two cars were quite even in power/weight/performance..My 2003 srt10 had the stock 3.07 rear end and his 2002 GTS ACR had the 3.55 gears.

We raced many times one night. maybe 7 races and it was the same every time..

We would both start at 50 mph and his car would jump out a car length..then he would switch gears much earlier than i had to and I would gain a car length on him and this cycle would continue with us both passing each other..Depending on were the race stopped would show who won.

I just dont belieave that in Vipers the gear changeing really makes them any faster. These cars come with 500 Torque in stock form.

An S2000 or nsx or supra would really benifit from lower gears. The no power till boost or no power till vtec really is helped by low end grunt of steep gears.

The Viper spins llike crazy on the stock 13 inch wide rears with stock 3.07 gearing

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You see I have experianced exactly the same thing..

My 2003 srt10 had intake/.roller rockers for 459 rwhp.

My buddy had a 2002 GTS ACR that had intake/exhaust/roller rockers/headers at 450 rwhp

the cars were both around the same weight (33xx pounds)

The 9 rwhp advatage I had (same dyno)was off set by his 1 inch smaller rear tires..

esentially these two cars were quite even in power/weight/performance..My 2003 srt10 had the stock 3.07 rear end and his 2002 GTS ACR had the 3.55 gears.

We raced many times one night. maybe 7 races and it was the same every time..

We would both start at 50 mph and his car would jump out a car length..then he would switch gears much earlier than i had to and I would gain a car length on him and this cycle would continue with us both passing each other..Depending on were the race stopped would show who won.

I just dont belieave that in Vipers the gear changeing really makes them any faster. These cars come with 500 Torque in stock form.

An S2000 or nsx or supra would really benifit from lower gears. The no power till boost or no power till vtec really is helped by low end grunt of steep gears.

The Viper spins llike crazy on the stock 13 inch wide rears with stock 3.07 gearing

Twister,

You can't compare a Gen II or III's "usable" torque curve with a Gen IV. Imagine putting a 3.23 gear in your NSX....not going to work well. The Gen IV's are much more like a European engine..kind of weak down low but like hitting a nitrous button above 5000 rpm.

Right now I'm guessing a Gen IV with 3.55's, Mopar controller and headers will be able to walk away from a Ferrari 599 or even a tuned ZR1. If it has a 5th gear mod, then I'd bet it would beat both of those cars to 200 mph.

I'm thinking with all the runs you've done on non race prepared street surfaces, your tires are glazed and hard as a rock. Time to get yourself some drag radials and show the natives who the real king of the island is :2tu:

Cheers,
George

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21