Paging Tator.....Spark Plug Question

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,
Just wondering what your experience has taught you when changing Viper spark plugs. Do you use anti-seizing compound on the threads before installing the plugs? I posted a topic here (http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=605783) for the answer, but everyone had differing opinions and I just wanted the Wizard's opinion before doing this myself. Oh, and by the way, you should open up a shop closer to Allentown PA, so I could take my viper to you for all the service!

Thanks!
Brian

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking it might be easier for you to call Chuck...Tuesday after the holiday...imagine he's busy, but KNOW he'll get back with you!! Glad you're getting the Wiz's advice!!! ~juli

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you change them once a year like i do, it wont ever be a problem getting them out

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have no fear, the Wizard is here!:D

Do not use anti-sieze on spark plugs going into aluminum heads!! Anti-seize on spark plugs is okay with cast iron heads.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Chuck,

Could you elaborate on why? Accept your expertice completely, but curiosity demands a bit more detail.....

Thanks friend!

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Chuck,

Could you elaborate on why? Accept your expertice completely, but curiosity demands a bit more detail.....

Thanks friend!

You may take the threads out of aluminum heads with anti-sieze, because you can not feel the threads when tightening the plugs! The anti-sieze is a lubricant and I have repaired heads because of it!:mad:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So where should you use anti-sieze?

It seems to me, that where you choose to use something like anti-seize, is based on a collection of opinions and technical data that you form into an answer that works for you.

Chuck's argument about not being able to feel the torque and stripping the heads is valid. Others have argued about seizing plugs. Valid. I could go on.

I personally will use this logic:

Car has 22K miles. Dunno if plugs have ever been changed. If they are hard to get out, that will influence my decision.

If they are easy to change and I might do them often, that will influence my decision.

Bottom line is I get to choose just like you must.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala