Paint is finally going on......

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first fully painted panel on the (never ending) project Viper is the sports cap. It's really not done, only has the first coat of clear shot. A few more clears, color sanding, polishing, etc... to go, but it is still a milestone.

Colors are Brazen Orange Metallic and Cashmere metallic for the stripes. Ed described the painting process as follows. Sprayed the stripe color, thought it was going to look awful, sprayed the orange, still thought it was going to look awful, sprayed the clear.... holy [*****], this is the most beautiful thing I've ever painted. When he told me this, he followed up with "How did you choose these colors? Either you are really good, or really lucky". I had to laugh.

I choose the orange after an agonizing two months of flopping from color to color. Trust me, when you can paint your car ANY color you want, verses the few factory selections, it is TOUGH to choose the color. I looked at motorcycles, cars, even big rigs, spent hours and hours at car lots, and browsing paint chip books. I saw a Cobra painted in a Nissan Z orange, thought it looked great. One day a new Pontiac GTO passed me on the interstate and I knew I found my color. Followed him for a while and when he pulled of for gas, I did too. Turned out to be a 2006, one year only color (since this is the last year of the GTO) brazen orange metallic.

The stripe color I owe to my wife. I carried home a bunch of color books from the paint supplier and we chose the stripe one evening. but when I looked at it in the AM, I just did not like it. So on the way to work, I stopped at the gym and asked her to look again, we set the book out on the hood of the car, pulled out the brazen orange page and started looking for a new stripe color. As we were just flipping though the pages she said "stop, that's it". We placed the orange next to it and I said "Yep, that's it". Two months to pick the main color, ten minutes in a parking lot to pick the stripe color. It pays to have a wife that is an artist.

If you made it this far, I'm going to tell you, both of these colors look much different in "real life" than in pictures, and I think that is why not a lot of GTO's were made in the brazen orange. In real life it is spectacular, orange, but gold at the same time. In pictures, it just is "orange". I know many will not like it, but I think it's cool.... and it's my car :) LOL

5painted_sport_cap-med.jpg

Primer is going down on the hood today, stripes tomorrow, and if the weather holds, body color and clear early next week.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks fantastic. I like the LeMans Sunset color of the 350Z, but that is way cooler. The stripe color is perfect with that orange from what I can see in the pictures. Nice choice.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great. I like to see someone doing their own paint job. I'll be doing mine this winter. I especially like your stripes. That is exactly the way I was planning on doing mine. With the 1/4 white side striping. That gives the wide stripe class. Keep posting pictures. I'll be watching. What brand of paint and clear are you using? What did your use for primer. Give us all the details. This is good stuff!

Bolt

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Looks like a million bucks! Its gonna be a real sharp looking Viper when its done.

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. I like to see someone doing their own paint job. I'll be doing mine this winter. I especially like your stripes. That is exactly the way I was planning on doing mine. With the 1/4 white side striping. That gives the wide stripe class. Keep posting pictures. I'll be watching. What brand of paint and clear are you using? What did your use for primer. Give us all the details. This is good stuff!

Bolt

Thanks.

Paint is all DuPont, plans are to go for a third (or maybe forth?) "Top Gun" award for Ed when done.

Paint is Dupont ChromaSystem line of paints

DuPont

As far as I can make out from my reciepts from the paint store, and researching on DuPonts' site:

Sealer: ChromaPremier sealer 442440S

Primer: URO 1140S Primer/Filler: Gray, 1125S URO Primer/Filler Activator

Paint: Chromabase

Clear: ChromaPremier® 72500S™ Premium Appearance Clear

oter items that "go-with" the above:

7175S Mid-temp activator
12305S Chromapremier activator
1135S URO Primer sast Conv
12375S Chromabase reducer
42475S Mid-temp reactive reducer

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you for the details Jay. I usually spray 5 coats of clear and sand 2 coats off. Will you be sanding and buffing the finished product? As you my know your job will look great when it is just painted. I wish we lived closer, I'd stop by.

I'll be looking into the products you are using. I am a PPG type of guy. I found PPG is easy to work with. I was a Sherwin Williams users till they changed their fomulations and their products where hard to use. Plus some of my friends who sold that stuff died. All paints are nasty to breath. Guess they worked to may years around this stuff. OK, back to subject. Do you spray allot or is the dupont stuff? Is it easy to spray for you?

Jay, you are doing a good job. I also like that color. It's different. Post plenty pictures.

Bolt

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used DeBeers products on my Yellow 01. The yellow match was hit and miss. One quart would be very close while the next was way off. The paint shop indicated all their weights/measures were calibrated prior to each mix...Hummm. Anyways, quart of yellow was $130.00. Activators, reducers, clears, etc were all the usual market price. I could have used Valspar products for about 1/2 the DeBeer price. Live and learn.

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the details Jay. I usually spray 5 coats of clear and sand 2 coats off. Will you be sanding and buffing the finished product? As you my know your job will look great when it is just painted. I wish we lived closer, I'd stop by.

I'll be looking into the products you are using. I am a PPG type of guy. I found PPG is easy to work with. I was a Sherwin Williams users till they changed their fomulations and their products where hard to use. Plus some of my friends who sold that stuff died. All paints are nasty to breath. Guess they worked to may years around this stuff. OK, back to subject. Do you spray allot or is the dupont stuff? Is it easy to spray for you?

Jay, you are doing a good job. I also like that color. It's different. Post plenty pictures.

Bolt

Can't take credit for the paint, Ed Combs (maker of Double Venom Cobras) is doing the work. He actually does some very unique things in his custom painting process, most would not believe it, but he shoots 2-3 coats of clear then hand "scrapes", block and block sands... then 2-3 more coats of clear, repeats the process, color sands then polishes. Orange peel? waves? Not on his paint jobs, they are tough as nails and smooth as glass:

5What_is_it-what_color_is_it-med.jpg

This was taken of his last car... before final finishing.

Ed's shop is in Pentwater, MI.... he love's visits, as he live's in the boonies. :)

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to be serious but that mask is way overdue! Do him a favor and buy him a case of mask's, activated charcoal is good for only 8hrs after unsealed, when you do something so often you take your health for granted..

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to be serious but that mask is way overdue! Do him a favor and buy him a case of mask's, activated charcoal is good for only 8hrs after unsealed, when you do something so often you take your health for granted..

Good point, I'll ask him the brand!

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just sent Jay another note Sir; Your point about the mask is right on! I do change masks, not filters but the entire mask after every paint job and I mean between the color and the clears! When a guy shoots any amount of isocyanates, paint, solvents etc., he not only should use a current NIOSH approved TC-19C mask, but he should be wearing a protective head mask-(fresh air enclosed helmet), paint suit and gloves! (Yup took most of the stuff off to take the picture) Even better yet he should if at all possible be using a self supplied fresh air system. Unfotunately (I do have a brand new one) I simply do not paint enough to put new cartridges etc. in place, so it simply "sits". (New guys: pay attention to what '2 Venomous' and I are saying, it is serious stuff!)
Jay, now I'm hurt; you didn't say anything about my razor blades! Oh-well nobody believes that part anyway! :)

PS- the mask shown in the picture is after 6 qts of black paint and 4 qts. of clear- I do believe it was ready for the trash too!
DV-

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bolt

Yep I am a PPG guy as well. I used them all and PPG seems to be the most consistant. I had a lot of color match issues with DuPont and the reps don't seem to care. I don't think Jay is actully spraying the car from his post. Stripes are a pain to do, do these have a "pinstipe" on either side of stripes?

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay, now I'm hurt; you didn't say anything about my razor blades! Oh-well nobody believes that part anyway! :)

DV-

OK, I just said "Scrape".... was not sure Ed wanted his "secrets" to be known. What I did not mention is he scrapes the entire surface with single edge razor blades.... multiple times. This is done BEFORE blocking. I've got a picture of the process somewhere :)

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here is the latest progress:

Hard top:

5Jays_pin_striped_top-med.jpg

Picture of pinstripes, they are 1/8"

5Jays_pin_stripes-top1-med.jpg

Hood ready for sealer:

5Jays_nose-ready_for_sealer-med.jpg

Hood with stripe color painted

5Jays_hood_stripe_color_1-med.jpg

Better view of the Jag XKR Vents that Ed installed....

5Jays_hood_stripe_color_2-med.jpg

Ed put a ton of effort into melding them into the hood as if they were molded in place (actually he has put TON'S of effort into the whole car!)! The NACA duct is from Autoform. Ed beefed it up a bunch, he said I could now use it for a "handle" for the hood it is so stout. The louvres were overpowering in some of the previous pictures I had posted, they were primer gray on the red hood... now that Ed has them feathered in, and they'll be 100% in the stripes, they blend in much better. The idea was single NACA duct, Jag louvers a little wider, stock "speaker grills" even wider, and vented windshield wiper cowl vents to finish off the visual trip toward the windshield. I like it :2tu:

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lookin good Jay. How are you lining up the stripes with everything dissembled?

Don't forget to look for that picture of your buddy scraping.

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lookin good Jay. How are you lining up the stripes with everything dissembled?

Don't forget to look for that picture of your buddy scraping.

Ed had the top on the car when he marked the stripes for it and the sportcap. Hood stripes only line up with the stripes on the front fascia, which he'll temporarily mount to mark the stripes. The windshield wiper cover is body color, but will not be striped, so it will not be an issue. Deck lid and rear fascia will be mounted and stripes marked to match the trailing edge of the sport cap.

Ed has striped a gagillian (if that's a word) Cobras, and has the paint awards to show he can line up stripes :)

Here is a picture of the Autoform windshield wiper cover. Note that Ed will be blacking out the pockets the vents are to be mounted in. Also in the picture is the dash, painted stripe color and finished with a special mat finish clear to prevent reflections in the windshield. Yes, that is how rough the hood looked before Ed's magic.

5Jays_first_painted_pieces_-med.jpg

Scraping image has been lost :( When he starts scraping on my car, I'm sure he'll send pics. Ed is fantastic about is taking lots of progress pictures and sending the right amount to keep me on the edge of my chair!

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice job Ed, there's nothing like a beutiful finish, lots of blocking on the front of a Viper right.

Good to see your aware of ICO's, obviously by your exp., you know 3M did a study on there disposable mask, by placing a ICO sniffer on the inside of a mask and found the dust filter actually blocked it until saturated wich didn't take to long, interesting ha.

Jay, I bet you can't wait till it's done,. can't wait to see it myself.

George

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
NICE LOOK!

Painting the cowl is a 'secret weapon' to make the hood look even longer!

Especially if the cowl is also striped. The hood appears long enuf to land a helicopter on it!

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 Venomous;
Got me fella! I had no idea that Dupont did that test, but knew they did test it/them some how. A long way away from the original days of IMRON when Dupont said-tounge in cheek mind you,- " yah-you should wear some kind of mask!" Don't mind about it permeating the skin, eye sockets, ears-any exposed skin! AND once it was in the body it was there to stay! "We've come a long way baby!

Jon B; nice to have had your help - been a "for ever" project!
DV

PS found 'some' scraping pictures-sent them to Jay.

PSS. "Blocking!" I have yet to paint a Viper hood that wasn't done at least three times! I know Daimler-Chrysley has had to find a way to get the hood surfaces symetrical by now! I love blocking! :)

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stripe masked on hood

Tomorrow the clear goes on the hood. Here is a picture of the masked stripes before the orange went down:

5Jays_hood-final_w-sanding-masked_for_orange-med.jpg

These are not standard stripes.... they are done the "Pete Brock way".

One afternoon I stopped by Ed's shop, he gave me a roll of masking tape and said "OK, they are our stripes, mark them off". So I did, only two measurements were taken to mark the center of the hood at the front and back. First we marked the inside edges of the stripes, and the then the outside edges "until they looked right"....i.e. the inside and outside edges of the stripes are not parallel. The outside of the stripe is actually wider at the back (If I remember right, by about an inch and a half) so visually, the stripe looks the same width by eliminating the natural "perspective" narrowing that occurs.

Here are the pictures of the razor blade scraping that makes Ed's paint jobs so incredibly "glassy":

5Jerry_s_razor_start1-med.jpg

5Jerry_s_Rear_deck-planing_started-med.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang