Paint is finally going on......

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Stripe masked on hood

Nice Jay, when I get my Compe Coupe I plan on painting it Monaco Orange Chevy paint code 990, 1969 Corvette was the only year and car it was on (I had one). Black stripes though.

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice Jay, when I get my Compe Coupe I plan on painting it Monaco Orange Chevy paint code 990, 1969 Corvette was the only year and car it was on (I had one). Black stripes though.

Cool orange, reminds me of the orange on Boss Mustangs. It will look great with black stripes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Jay,

Again Thank you for keepin us up to date. This is my favoriate thread. I'll do the same when I start mine. I might try the scraping. What did you use to remove the old paint? Or did you?

This is good stuff. Tell Ed he has a fan club.

What is the link to where you host all your pictures of this project? I'd like to see if you have any pictures there which you did not post here.

Bolt

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay,

Great Colors! Your wife picked out a sweet color combo.

I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Jay K.

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay,

Again Thank you for keepin us up to date. This is my favoriate thread. I'll do the same when I start mine. I might try the scraping. What did you use to remove the old paint? Or did you?

This is good stuff. Tell Ed he has a fan club.

What is the link to where you host all your pictures of this project? I'd like to see if you have any pictures there which you did not post here.

Bolt

Ed only removed the old paint completely from the front and rear fascia's, Door's never had paint on them, only primer. Used Lye based easy off to strip the dash.

If you click on the link to "photos" below my user name to the left on these posts you'll tons of photos of more than just the paint parts of this project.

Here is the latest picture, hood all air-brushed, masking removed, and ready for clear. The jag louvres now look like I had envisioned them.... classy, the fully integrated NACA duct turned out fantastic! :)

5Jays_hood_airbrush_done-no_clear-med.jpg

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cool orange, reminds me of the orange on Boss Mustangs. It will look great with black stripes.

Nice pic Jay, looks almost just like mine. I had a conv/roadster with black hard/soft tops, 427/435 tri-power NCRS Top Flight. I'd go into the garage and have to choose between that and my Viper, the Viper always won out (except for shows) someone made me a nice offer for the Vette and I took it. Kicking myself now, it's a $100K car now :(

Can't wait to see your car completed.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Hood is cleared!:

WOW! That good looks great! Get some pictures of ED scraping that. Louvres look perfectly centered to the stripes. How may coats of clear?

Bolt

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WOW! That good looks great! Get some pictures of ED scraping that. Louvres look perfectly centered to the stripes. How may coats of clear?

Bolt

Just has the first coat of clear on right now. I'm pretty sure Ed does not start scraping until everythign is painted.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scraping? What is scraping? It sounds scary on such a beautiful paint job.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fellas, not trying to be cute but do not do as I do! My explanation of scraping. Except under great personal peril. You can waste a new paint job instantly and I mean instantly, There is no 'fixing it' once it is done other than a full sanding and a repaint. I will explain it again but you are on your own. First and foremost I detest thick paint, especially clears! More than three coats at one time and it WILL end up cracking and or dying out. It may take years or it could simply take weeks, but it will happen! Not to be bragging but I honestly have paint jobs over ten years old and still winning prizes.

First; paint as normal even keeping the color coats as thin as possible. (Why paint five coats of color when two or three gets the job done.) Clean it with proper paint cleaner, tack it and lay down two- and only two coats of clear please. (Shown previously on Jays hood.) I let this cure an absolute minimum of 24 full hours or even more if I can. To scrape it I simply take a single edge 'new' razor blade and 'plain' the entire painted surface. The clear will roll up into a white powdery mass. When done the entire thing is then block sanded with 600 wet dry. (If I haven't got the 'pros' flinching or cussing, or calling me a liar by now they never will!) Then I simply buff using three good quality compounds and using two different pads and finish all that off with a foam pad and a glaze-never,never, never any wax! There you have it- painters, ever scrape off a run? Same process only all over!

KCOBEAN: It scares the heck out of me from start to finish!
DV

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I use the same method when doing touch ups on nicks and chips with a small brush, then the blade. You call it 'plaining' it is actually for me a "wipe" to cut the high spots. I am surprised you stop the block sanding process at 600. I take the paper to 1500 before any compound/glaze. Do you sand the base or use a pad before clear?

looks good.

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tomorrow the clear goes on the hood. Here is a picture of the masked stripes before the orange went down:

5Jays_hood-final_w-sanding-masked_for_orange-med.jpg

These are not standard stripes.... they are done the "Pete Brock way".

One afternoon I stopped by Ed's shop, he gave me a roll of masking tape and said "OK, they are our stripes, mark them off". So I did, only two measurements were taken to mark the center of the hood at the front and back. First we marked the inside edges of the stripes, and the then the outside edges "until they looked right"....i.e. the inside and outside edges of the stripes are not parallel. The outside of the stripe is actually wider at the back (If I remember right, by about an inch and a half) so visually, the stripe looks the same width by eliminating the natural "perspective" narrowing that occurs.

Here are the pictures of the razor blade scraping that makes Ed's paint jobs so incredibly "glassy":

5Jerry_s_razor_start1-med.jpg

5Jerry_s_Rear_deck-planing_started-med.jpg
Is That some Blow to keep the guy's happy and working. :nana:

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scrape then 600? You better be using a rear good clear and lots of it, You can take down 2 mils of paint with 600 in no time. If you have a good booth why go thru all that extra work? Hit it twice and block it out with 1200, then 2000 and buff. Unless you have surface defects to begin with or lots of crap in the clear seems like a waste of time and material to me

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

scrap then 600? You better be using a rear good clear and lots of it, You can take down 2 mils of paint with 600 in no time. If you have a good booth why go thru all that extra work? Hit it twice and block it out with 1200, then 2000 and buff. Unless you have surface defects to begin with or lots of crap in the clear seems like a waste of time and material to me

He will shoot over three gallons of clear.

He starts out with a lot of clear... and ends with a little clear :)

Do I understand why he does it this way? Yes. His paint jobs are simply incredible. Could others get there a different way? Probably. But that's for them, and this is how Ed does his "Top Gun" award paints jobs.

People think the paint looks good now.... when he is fully done, it is just plain undescribable.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm ready to ship my car to him and my paint is fine. :laugh: What would an average guy pay to have a car resprayed like that?

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm ready to ship my car to him and my paint is fine. :laugh: What would an average guy pay to have a car resprayed like that?

That's a question for Ed. In my discussions from him it depends on the color choice, and custom extra's (we had discuss ghost flames and or snakskin airbruxhing in the stripes as an example).

Ed can do pretty much anything from silly deep single color to wild Chromalusion and ghost stripes.... so I'd guess every paint job's price very's substantially, even just a single color paint job could depend on many things, fascia been prviously painted(?) might be one example. I do know that the number of hours he puts in just a "standard" paint job is in the hundreds and hundreds.

He did a '67 Big Block Vette before my car, he spent a full three or four months on it, of that, As I recall, at least two months was doing the paint... the other two months the bodywork to prep for paint (like my car).

Here is a picture of the Vette before scraping, colorsanding, buffing:

5Jerry_s_hood-first_clear-med.jpg

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

dansauto, please take no offense, for most of my 30 plus years of painting I have never had a booth. Second, to make sure all this is right I do NOT spray 3 coats of clear on anything! Your standard two coats is fine and plenty. Your comments about a dirty paint booth (area) are pretty standard comments/critiques. ( There are plenty pictures here on how dirty my shop is at any time!) Using 600 wet sand is a pretty common critique (see my comments above, even Dupont who has come and watched me do this just shake their heads when they see it but they don't criticize anymore. Please keep in mind I do NOT do this for every job by any means! Probably 7 out of ten jobs are as you described, two coats of final clear, wet sand with 800 and buff. I rarely will use 1200-if there is no orange peel left 1200 will do almost nothing a buffer can't do.
I am not criticizing, nor am I trying to preach. "People" wanted to know how I do what I do- like it or not this is it and I will compare it to anybody's paint work! Like Jay says and I have seen it, other painters get to what I call final show results, we may just have different ways of getting there.
Costs?: Each car is different, each customer is left up to his own discretion if he releases his cost or not.
Schedule: You guys flatter me and I sincerely thank you and appreciate that you appreciate my work. Right now as I only do a total of two cars at a time, my 6-car shop is full until early spring. I have a '40 *****'s (kit car) to complete, and a 2006 -untouched-Viper to repaint over the winter.
I told the story again, I've shown pictures, the finished products are on the street. I'm not here for a paint debate nor will I enter one. There are thousands of painters to do your cars. Find one you like, talk to him/her be 100% happy with all the answers or simply wait until you find the person that gives you 100% fuzzy's!

I know some, maybe most have seen this picture it is Chromalusion and every inch of this car was done as described;

PS:Location-Louisville Street Rod Nats, Used by "stewart Warner" to display in their booth.(Yes S&W Supplied the custom gauges for this V-10 powered Cobra)
The tall gentlemen to the right of the car turned out to be a Viper Tech from Chrysler to examine the car aka "Double Venom". At the time, this was the first V-10 drive train to be released by the factory that was to be used in a non sponsored Chrysler product!
DV

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pete Brock;
Kind of tounge in cheek response, If you didn't know, Brock is one of the famous original Cobra guys. After many attempts at laying out the stripes mathmatically perfect, they still did not look right on the car (Cobra). What they soon found out was the stripes are at their widest point at the windshield asnd then will narrow all the way down the nose, as much as an inch and a half. Now that is a lot, but when looked at from any angle the stripes look perfectly perpendicular and they now fit the 'car look'.

Very few measurements other than to be centered and the left and right taper the same. That's about it. Vipers seem to look better with a 10 to 11 inch stripe at the windshield and can come down in size to the front anywhere from 8-3/4's to 9-1/2". This is definately "each to their own scenario"!
DV

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mopar Steve:
I'm sorry I missed your post/question; I will normally buff-using Presta and a black 100% wool pad. If I find I have dug a little deep with the 600 I will go to 800 and hit it again. I had more than one painter in my shop that went all the way to 1200 in steps but I just couldn't seem to get it right with that fine of paper-left to many-what I called flaws behind. No, if I read the question right I never touch the last base coat of color other than a sometime hard wipe with a tack wrack but I never sand it in any way. I hope that was your question? I find a single hard fingerprint on the final coat of paint will let a mark show up through the clear let alone sanding it. If you have figured out how to do that I Sir am all ears! What a neat trick that must be! At any rate, when I am satisfied with the final paint is when I start the final steps. Two coats of clear, planing-sanding-two more coats of clear-planing and sanding again, then buff until it's done. No trickery really just a lot of time and care.
DV

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Double Venom,

I was thinking the Pete Brock reference was to the sequence of painting, masking, painting etc.

For my black w/red stripe repaint, I'm planning to paint the general stripe area with red, mask off/cover the stripe, then paint the black, unmask and clear.

I could do all black and then mask off the stripes, but then I would be fussing to not touch the fresh black while masking, not to mention the massive amount of masking to protect the black while spraying red.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The way it is shown for Jays stripes is the way I do all my stripes. Best way to get rid of edge lines too without having to just pour on the clear! The only time I will paint stripes last is if the owner brings me a car and 'then' wants to have stripes on his car!

Hope those guys are enjoying VOI! Some peoople have to stay back and work :)
DV

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Double Venom,

I pretty much read this entire thread and couldn't figure out exactly how Jay did them. Is it the double masking where you mask and paint the stripe based, then mask off the stripes and paint the body base - that way you have the same amount of base on the stripes and body. Then you do the clear.

Frankly, I've never done stripes at all - only painted a handful of cars so this is a first for me. My fear was if I did the above method, getting that 2nd tape job to line up with the edge of stripe base would be terribly difficult.

I don't want to get too obsessive about this because one off-road excursion during a hill climb, etc. and all your body work is kiboshed.

I do like the idea of the Pete Brock cheater stripes. I'm going to see if they did that when they repainted Bad Viper.

Tom

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doug, with your help Sir; sidepipes,motor, pieces and parts, wiring, etc., etc, etc.! Thank you, you've been a big help during this lifetime rebuild and paint!
Tom and Vipers, let me say it is cheating at its best..... IF you are starting out with a clean 'chalk board' so to speak, I start with the color of the stripe-NO-masking at all I just spray the center of the car the stripe color. Once that is dry, I like to give it 24 hours even though most products say 20 minutes up to 4 hours and their paint is ready to mask off. After 24 hours is when I will actually mask off the stripe. When that is done is when I paint the car. As soon as it drys, maybe 20 minutes or later, I will then take off all the masking paper, clean or tack off the car once again, I might even go over it with a liquid cleaner prior to a final 'tacking'. Once that is all done that is when I will put on the first two coats of clear. Quite simple really. If you have any doubts at all or if I can be of any help at all please call! 231 869 4608, I'm quite serious about that, I'll answer any question I can.
DV

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Although this thread appears to have been exhausted, I just had to add that my hood/fascia repaint has stripes that were ANTI Pete Brock stretched. 20" on the roof and rear of hood, and 21" at the fascia.

Of course, with the H-man fascia, it seems to exaggerate it which seems to work.

I was surprised.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to finish the hood to match the 21" at the fascia....

Decisions... decisions....
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang