Paint is finally going on......

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear of the Brazen Serpent nearing completion.

It has been a while since an update, a few interior glitches, and the arrival of Winter in Michigan required Ed to take some time to finish insulating his shop..... Well the insulation is up, and the paint is once again going on.

Ed took the nasty, cracked, and ugly trunk, re-did work that got damaged during the frame pull last spring, and it looks better than factory!

Before:

Jays_trunk_-raw.jpg

After:

Jays_inner_trunk_complete.jpg

But here is the REAL Christmas present:

Merry_Christmas.jpg

Look at the "mirror finish"! I think the Autoform spoiler looks great, The serpant will be getting the lower Gen II front fascia, and it has Eibach springs.... I'm getting psyched!

Ed will be working on a brand new Black '06 coupe while I gather up the final pieces and parts for him.... maybe well see a few pictures of a silly shiny Black snake soon too.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Rear of the Brazen Serpent nearing completion.

Looks GREAT Jay! Can't wait to see the finished product! :2tu:

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It looks great Jay. We must talk on the phone soon. PM me you phone number. I started my project. I want to talk supplies.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It looks great Jay. We must talk on the phone soon. PM me you phone number. I started my project. I want to talk supplies.

Thanks, will do.

We got lucky on the stripe width, by pure chance it was just wide enough to land outside of the license plate area. I can hardly wait to get some pictures of it in natural light. None of these pics show the Brazen Orange Metallic at it's best.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

simply AMAZING!

I absolutely love the body color and stripe together!!!

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay, Curious, what kind of Rims are you planning on slapping on the final product? I think some SRT 5- spoke copperhead rims would look sick!

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay, Curious, what kind of Rims are you planning on slapping on the final product? I think some SRT 5- spoke copperhead rims would look sick!

For right now I have CCW/Purner 17" rims.

5Dscn0281.jpg

At some point in the future, when the tires go bald :) , I'll likely move to 18" rims. The Copperhead rims are certianly and good looking option..... they looked great on the orange raffle Viper from a few years back. It is nice to have so many rim choices now!

My dream rims would be knock-off's like this in a 17" or 18" Viper size:

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel Filler Lid

One more picture, just in... of the fuel filler lid installed. This was so much work for both Ed and I it is hard to describe. It stated out as a "Bullet Mustang" fuel filler lid. To make it fit the hole in the Viper fender I had to get it's OD machined down in diameter, it took two tries to get it right. The original mounting screws did not work (to short), so I scoured catalogs until I found these stainless steel buttonhead screws. Ed did a TON of bodywork to countour the fender so the fuel filler lid fit flush (this is in another thread somewhere :) ). Now that it's painted, it is everything I had hoped it would be... x10. By the way, this picture hints at what I am talking about when I say this color is a "gold colored orange". Ed wanted me to let y'all know this is before the final buffing!

Jays_installed_GT_gas_cap.jpg

D

DAMN YANKEE

Re: Fuel Filler Lid

Knock-off wheels.......

1. Too much torque on a Viper?
2. I have never seen a piar on a Viper, has ayone?

Intriguing.....

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Knock-off wheels.......

2. I have never seen a pair on a Viper, has ayone?

Intriguing.....

1. Maybe...

2. Nope..... but that has not stopped me so far with the rest of the car ;)

I just think they'd be cool on a Viper with it being such a throw-back roadster anyway. Like I said, they're my "dream wheels" :)

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looking good Jay.......

That filler cap also looks like the RAM SRT-10 one..

Yep, I bought this one from Ford years before Mopar did that for the Ram's. SRT not even SRT back then..... :D

I measured every one I saw on a car until I found one close to the size of the Viper's. Tried to talk George at MGW into making one, but since it would require the removal of the fender to install (becasue the stock fuel lid is rivited in on the Gen I/II RT's), there would be a very small market for it.... hence all the extra work.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

That paint job is nothing short of pure "artwork". Tremendous gawk factor. Carry a micro-fiber towel with you to wipe off the drool of passersby.

(They will stand gazing into the depths, mesmerized into a somnambulant state)

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Knock-off wheels.......

2. I have never seen a pair on a Viper, has ayone?

Intriguing.....

Ed dropped me note about the wheels after reading the thread... if you look further up on the thread, he has used similar knock off's on his Double Venom (Viper powered Cobra). The one in the above picture had 600+ HP, and he drag raced it with slicks that were screwed to the wheel so the tires would not spin on the rims.... sounds like they'd be strong enough for a Viper to me :)

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, The Viper is moving around under it's own power... but not W/O a little pain. Got an email from Ed yesterday, the Viper would start and then immediately quit....

y'all know the symptoms.. alarm is set, right? Well, after a lot of time on the phone, and a search of the forums, the problem was found, a blown fuse, caused by a dead short in the cigarette lighter. Ed had to take the dash out for the gagillianth time to fix it, after figuring out the cause of the blown fuse, he was able to resynchronize the key fob and reset the alarm. He was trying to get the Viper out of the booth, so another car can go in. The rest of the work on the Viper, does not require it to be in the booth.

The headlights were reinstalled last week, and the hood fitted as well. The frame guy did a fantastic job, all the parts are going together smoothly, and fitment lines are straight as arrows. Ed is tickled that the parts are fitting so nicely.

Here are the latest pictures, note the doors are off, they are just about ready to paint, after they are painted, and new belt (exterior window) seals arrive and are installed, they'll go back on the car.

Jays_Viper-outside.jpg

Jays-outside_rear.jpg

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's the **** man, can't wait to see the bumpers and doors go on to see the final product :headbang:

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay can't wait to see the final product. The paint looks awesome. Please don't put those old style wheels on the viper they are designed for the older hotrods. I think it would kill the look of your new car.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay can't wait to see the final product. The paint looks awesome. Please don't put those old style wheels on the viper they are designed for the older hotrods. I think it would kill the look of your new car.

Agreed, but you got to do what makes you happy right? The car looks AMAZING....what kind of Fascia is going on front? :headbang:

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agreed, but you got to do what makes you happy right? The car looks AMAZING....what kind of Fascia is going on front? :headbang:

Thanks.

The Purner wheels will be on it for the time being.... I'd bet Austin could Photoshop in a bunch of different wheels to help find the right ones :)

Front fascia is from a Gen II. It should look good since the car is lowered with Eibach springs. I did not want a fiberglass fascia, and the only type I personally like other than stock is the genuine Oreca LeMans fascia.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks.

The Purner wheels will be on it for the time being.... I'd bet Austin could Photoshop in a bunch of different wheels to help find the right ones :)

Front fascia is from a Gen II. It should look good since the car is lowered with Eibach springs. I did not want a fiberglass fascia, and the only type I personally like other than stock is the genuine Oreca LeMans fascia.

Austin where are you??? Start adding some wheels to this bad boy.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That thing would look great with some black center I-Forged wheels!

D

DAMN YANKEE

Re: Stripe masked on hood

Jay,

You knocked it out of the ball park.

Great color and stripe and a great looking hood. I think you are right about the wheels, in fact, I would shoot the center black and then polish out only the tops face of the spokes and the whole rim. It would top off a very fine and tasteful job. If you need more guys to come in to get the wheels done, let me know. I like your style

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That car and the paintwork is simply STUNNING!!! :2tu:

Excellent colors and choices of louvers etc..
I can hardly wait to see it finished!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That car and the paintwork is simply STUNNING!!! :2tu:

Excellent colors and choices of louvers etc..
I can hardly wait to see it finished!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too! Thanks, looks like I'll be joined in 2008 with factory Orange SRT's

Oh Well, at least I'll have a unique color RT/10 anywho :cool:

The orange is much brighter (like the raffle Viper), it and the stripes favor gold much more than the pictures show.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang