Paxton Help - Again

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melted or clogged cats would show higher boost levels due to restriction, thats how i figured out mine were melted.:dunno:

That sort of makes sense but wouldn't a clogged Cat keep restrict the engine enough to keep RPMs down? If RPMs are lower then so is boost. I also spoke with the Wizard today and he also suspected a plugged Cat. Those of you that have monitored this thread and have had plugged Cats what was your experience?

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A blown engine......

Plum, engine behaves completely normally except under boost. It was built by Arrow with the best forged internals. It will even rev to 5000+ RPMs as long as it is not under boost, no smoke either. I actually put some 98 Unleaded in it as well while at the track.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Earlier he said he checked the plugs and they were all normal Phil. He could do a compression test, but probably not the problem if the plugs are good.

Reaction score
George,

Bad cats will allow the engine to "free-rev" but will not allow the engine to perform under load. Boost IS relative to load and rpm. What cats are currently installed in your car now?

I'll talk to you tomorrow!

Regards,
Doug

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, this is Chris from DC Performance, do you still have a boost issue, if so, are you saying that it won't reach peak boost at high rpm and full throttle ? If you have a serial port on your computer, it may be very useful to log the boost through the SplitSec timing controller.

- Chris

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, this is Chris from DC Performance, do you still have a boost issue, if so, are you saying that it won't reach peak boost at high rpm and full throttle ? If you have a serial port on your computer, it may be very useful to log the boost through the SplitSec timing controller.

- Chris

I think it is best to say that I have an RPM issue. RPMs don't climb under boost and hence boost does not reach its maximum potential as boost is related to RPMs and load. General consensus among Doug Levin, Dan Cragin, Mark Jorgenson, and Chuck Tator is that one or both of the Cats are plugged. The restriction would keep RPMs from climbing under boost. I will swap the Cats and see what happens.

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of had the same problem today. Car was very sluggish on the top end but was still running good. Notice the lower hose from the charger to the intercooler had slid sideways and was letting some of the boost out. Fixed it in about 1/2 hour and it's backed to screaming. Thought I would share this.

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of had the same problem today. Car was very sluggish on the top end but was still running good. Notice the lower hose from the charger to the intercooler had slid sideways and was letting some of the boost out. Fixed it in about 1/2 hour and it's backed to screaming. Thought I would share this.

Glad you were able to fix your problem so easily. Checking the hoses on the blower was one of the first things Doug Levin suggested I do. All of mine were tight and in place so our best guess at this point is that one or both Random Tech Cats are clogged. The Viper Wizard has the car and will start looking at it on Monday. He'll pull the blower and send to Doug for seals then look at the Cats. Doug suggests using one OEM Cat and not the high flows available from Random Tech. He says they don't hold up to a blower application.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
doug has told me that on the cats. i know he prefers NO cats but if you have to, use the OEM ones on SC'd cars

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
doug has told me that on the cats. i know he prefers NO cats but if you have to, use the OEM ones on SC'd cars

You are correct. That is what Doug said. I just can't see eliminating the Cats altogether. Not sure what would happen if the state decided to check. I understand its a $25,000 fine for eliminating the Cats.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
FYI,

Partially clogged one aftermarket cat which caused a lack of power (all forged internals - so no damage that I know of) and an increased exhaust smell in the cabin.

DC installed OE secondary cats modded up to 3-inch inlet / outlet.

No issues since and the car passes the sniffer at over 900 rwhp, over 860 rwtq on the OE computer with DC's tune.

Dan

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI,

Partially clogged one aftermarket cat which caused a lack of power (all forged internals - so no damage that I know of) and an increased exhaust smell in the cabin.

DC installed OE secondary cats modded up to 3-inch inlet / outlet.

No issues since and the car passes the sniffer at over 900 rwhp, over 860 rwtq on the OE computer with DC's tune.

Dan

Chuck Tator is installing one OEM cat to replace the aftermarket high flows. Hopefully this will eliminate my problem. I've asked Chuck to check out the high flows when he pulls them off to see if they are plugged. I'm hoping they are. Your issue sounds just like mine so I really do believe the cats are the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang