People who own the Mopar RB-1 Navigation already: Happy?

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
People who own the Mopar RB-1 Navigation installed in their SRTs, are you happy with it? How much did you pay for installation, and does anyone have the cd changer with it? How much did that cost and installation? I am concern that that 4.1 inch screen is too small. My Honda Pilot has a 5.6 inch screen and that is about right. I am deciding between that one, which will look OEM, and other like the Pioneer Avic, with a much bigger screen, but will not look oem. Opinions, anyone? Thanks.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the rb1 in my srt and like it better than my pioneer flip out with nav in my hummer.
nothing beats factory when i bought the h2 they did not have a nav option that year.

vd..

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Screen is amazingly clear and easy to read, even for its size. Everyone said the same thing when I first bought the RB-1, as it was still in its box: "That screen is small, no way will you be able to read it"

Amazingly, that all changed to "holy crap this thing is easy to see and use" by every person who has tried it, including the ones who were against it from the start.

The screen choice was very good. It is Active Matrix, like new laptop screens. Not Dual Scan, as used in some units and older style laptops- you know, the ones that loose contrast and change colors when viewed from different angles. The screen is VERY bright, and has an anti-reflective coating for ease of viewing during the day, even with the top down. Brightness can be adjusted to many levels by use of the same knob on the steering colomn that adjusts gauge brightness.

At the push of a button and turn of a knob, you can view great detail at 1/8 mile, all the way to almost the entire country. Also uses "Smart Typing" when entering street & city names, it skips over the letters of places that dont exist in the selected field. Phone Book and Points Of Interest always come in handy on trips.

(I am assuming Active Matrix and Dual Scan are still acceptable terms for these two different types of screens? May have changed to something else by now... but the principles are the same.)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
VINCENT- I am placing an order for another RB-1 tomorrow (well, technically later today, haha), If you decide to get on this order, let me know.

Thanks,

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Daniel,

I don't actually have a viper yet.....going to look at it in St. Louis this Week-end, so at this time I am not ready for it yet. I would like to actually have possession of it and then decide. Thanks, Daniel! :2tu:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
you guys think it could be used as a back up cammera screen also?

Someone out there makes an upgrade that gives the RB-1 RCA inputs so it can play movies. Most cameras use RCA's, so yes, it is possible.

Vincent- Completely forgot you dont have an SRT yet! Good Luck and I hope everything goes well!

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone out there makes an upgrade that gives the RB-1 RCA inputs so it can play movies.

It's more than an upgrade, it requires some rather scary modifications. The RB1 has no external video input at all, so adding one means tapping into the LCD inputs and rigging up some sort of video switch.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Someone out there makes an upgrade that gives the RB-1 RCA inputs so it can play movies.

It's more than an upgrade, it requires some rather scary modifications. The RB1 has no external video input at all, so adding one means tapping into the LCD inputs and rigging up some sort of video switch.

I figured it had to be something rather "interesting" that was done to accomplish that... But thats falls under the "dont ask, dont tell" policy... I have never seen one, nor know who makes one. Just ran accross it on some RB-1 page somewhere...

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about someone post a picture of the screen?

here you go
6400IMGP2304-med.JPG

6400IMGP2300-med.JPG

6400nav_sys_1-med.JPG

6400nav_sys_dodge_logo-med.JPG

I USE IT ALL THE TIME!!!!
Also the sound is much much better. Hope this helps :2tu:

vd..

DSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the cd changer with the RB-1. Has anyone tried installing the cd changer in the passanger footwell, to avoid drilling and installing it in the trunk?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the cd changer with the RB-1. Has anyone tried installing the cd changer in the passanger footwell, to avoid drilling and installing it in the trunk?

I have installed many CD changers, but all are trunk mounted. Mounting Under and behind the seats is out, unless you can drive with the seat in a more forward position (behind only, still wont fit under)

I actually considered mounting in the passenger footwell, but every way I had thought of, it either made the seat uncomfortable to be in, looked goofy, or would frequently be kicked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960