Performance Numbers Gen.5

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when are we future owners going to get some hard performance number for the Gen.5.Ie Quarter Mile,Braking etc.I for one want to see how well it will do against the 4 Wheel Drivers(Porsche 911 Turbo S and the 13 GTRs)and also the current ZR1s.We should have these aprox.numbers by now...

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Ralph hinted that the auto mags would be testing the cars soon for the purpose of getti g performance numbers.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Ralph hinted that the auto mags would be testing the cars soon for the purpose of getti g performance numbers.

Sorry, but that is stupid. There better be manufacturer numbers. Remember, these magazines are the same people that barely get under a 12 with a ZR1. I wouldn't bet on them doing the Gen V justice.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, but that is stupid. There better be manufacturer numbers. Remember, these magazines are the same people that barely get under a 12 with a ZR1. I wouldn't bet on them doing the Gen V justice.

I never did understand how experienced drivers for mags never get the numbers that mere mortals can do. I always assumed they put 87 fuel in all their test cars because they're too cheap. Watch the Gen V get an 11.2 in the quarter.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never did understand how experienced drivers for mags never get the numbers that mere mortals can do. I always assumed they put 87 fuel in all their test cars because they're too cheap. Watch the Gen V get an 11.2 in the quarter.

And once that happens, every 12 year old kid will tell us how awesome the GTR is because it can do better than 11.2.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think anyway you cut it, they will all be close. Stock Gen IV Viper, ZR1, '13 GTR all are capable of running high tens @ upper 128/129mph.

However the Gen IV Viper holds the record @ the ring and the Viper ZR1 both have a top speed over 200mph.

I have no doubt the Gen V with the better gearing, lighter weight, better aero, better tires, more power and torque and just overall improvements will give any performance car a run for its money.

Hell the "outdated" Gen IV is nothing to take lightly. Only those who don't know better, do so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTevFbLfm3g

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when are we future owners going to get some hard performance number for the Gen.5.Ie Quarter Mile,Braking etc.I for one want to see how well it will do against the 4 Wheel Drivers(Porsche 911 Turbo S and the 13 GTRs)and also the current ZR1s.We should have these aprox.numbers by now...

Asking for orders before they even tested the numbers seem backwards to me.

OP
OP
F

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is what I am saying.Just test the car and just the numbers out like all the other car companies do.They are playing to many games....

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Games. Production has not yet started. Will not be able to get production car numbers till the actual cars are on the streets.

Believe the auto mags got pre production vehicles for first impressions. They will extrapolate expected numbers from their experiences.

Expect to see 0-60 in low/mid 3's
1/4 mile in low/mid 11's and around 120 mph.
Skid pad over 1 G.
Hwy mileage over 20 mpg.
Prices starting under $100k

All pretty respectful numbers.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just extrapolate performance from the Gen IV based on the tech data that we already know. Less weight. 640/600 verus 600/560. Better gearing for low end acceleration: 3:55 diff with changes in tranny that coordinate with same. Launch control versus no launch control for those who are less talented with their own feet. Increased frame rigidity and a more refined suspension tune should eliminate wheel hop. I believe a talented drag racer will be able to do a 3 second zero to 60 run and a sub eleven second quarter mile run. The stats indicate that a stock Gen V SRT variant coupe will easily beat a stock Gen IV coupe or a stock Gen IV ACR on the drag strip. Then, with the installation of the MOPAR goodies that we were told at VOI will be released: MOPAR controller, headers, cam, and heads, we will eventually be able to bump the power up to over 700 HP. The internals of the Gen V engine are considerably stronger: Forged psitons, etc. The Gen V pistons are based on the ACRX pistons. Dick Winkles told us this at the VOI tech session.

Bottom line. I would not worry about whether the car will be fast. It will be fast. But for the mandatory nanny tech, too fast for many. But with the nanny tech, the garage queen people are protecetd from snake bites.

OP
OP
F

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes,I know it will be Bad Axxx,that is exectly why I am getting one(4th Viper) as soon as I can.Hope to be the first to be rolling in one in Fort Lauderdale.Just as soon as they hit the internet with the crazy bump in prices.Will pay it,to a point....It,s all good.I agree on the aprox numbers above also.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off the line it will have issues getting to the low 3 seconds (talking 3.0-3.1sec) simply because that "class" of vehicle seems to be AWD.

Maybe it can, will be exciting to see the figures when they are finally out.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that I wrote: " a talented drag racer" will be able to do so - not an average driver. The figures from the car magazines will be meaningless with respect to what someone with real skill can accomplish. But they will show what an average driver might do under similar environmental conditions of elevation, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and track surface if the car mags state the environmental data at the time of the test.
Off the line it will have issues getting to the low 3 seconds (talking 3.0-3.1sec) simply because that "class" of vehicle seems to be AWD.

OP
OP
F

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I want to go sub 3s,I,ll just jump in my 911 Turbo S and do it all day long.I am no drag racer,just push the gas in it.The Gen.5 will be my round a round track car at Palm Beach..

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that I wrote: " a talented drag racer" will be able to do so - not an average driver. The figures from the car magazines will be meaningless with respect to what someone with real skill can accomplish. But they will show what an average driver might do under similar environmental conditions of elevation, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and track surface if the car mags state the environmental data at the time of the test.

agree completely :)

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys make it seem complicated to go sub 3s with this new car... It is going to be darn easy. All you will have to do is change the stock rear tires for a pair of 345/30-19 nitto drag radials and it should do sub 3s ALL DAY LONG even with no burn out.

I was running consistent 10.9s-11.0s with my 10 acr(yes, with that huge wing slowing me down too) last year and the nittos are just so much better(to go straigh) than those michelin sport cup tires that came with the car. They bite fast and then your gone... No spinning or only a squeak.. I also felt a lot safer driving on the drag radials on the dry than on the stock tires.
So, you don't need any porsche or GTR to do that, all you need are two real TIRES.

These new vipers will shine with a good drag radial imo. Too soon to tell but I would risk saying 10.7s Minimum at ++130mph. It will launch like a rocket too because the new car is just so light and has the right gears to go with now!

Going to be cool to watch.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hypothetical is with a stock vehicle. Nitto drag radials are not stock. I have them on my Challenger. On a properly prepped drag strip, they stick like glue. If used, they do not last long. For most owners, Nitto drag radials are not a good choice. Of course some will use them. Those same people may also turn off the nanny tech and launch the car at a higher RPM. Those same people may also, if this is done repeatedly, break their differential and/or a half shaft depending on how much tolearnce SRT built into them. As I understand it, the diff is the same in the Gen V as the one in the Gen IV. A stock Gen V with stock tires, even with the best driver, is unlikely to break 3 seconds based on the stats.

I have a supercharged AWD SRT Jeep. As FLL says implies above, the AWD allows for a perfect launch every time with minimal effort.

You guys make it seem complicated to go sub 3s with this new car... It is going to be darn easy. All you will have to do is change the stock rear tires for a pair of 345/30-19 nitto drag radials and it should do sub 3s ALL DAY LONG even with no burn out.

I was running consistent 10.9s-11.0s with my 10 acr(yes, with that huge wing slowing me down too) last year and the nittos are just so much better(to go straigh) than those michelin sport cup tires that came with the car. They bite fast and then your gone... No spinning or only a squeak.. I also felt a lot safer driving on the drag radials on the dry than on the stock tires.
So, you don't need any porsche or GTR to do that, all you need are two real TIRES.

These new vipers will shine with a good drag radial imo. Too soon to tell but I would risk saying 10.7s Minimum at ++130mph. It will launch like a rocket too because the new car is just so light and has the right gears to go with now!

Going to be cool to watch.

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The hypothetical is with a stock vehicle. Nitto drag radials are not stock. I have them on my Challenger. On a properly prepped drag strip, they stick like glue. If used, they do not last long. For most owners, Nitto drag radials are not a good choice. Of course some will use them. Those same people may also turn off the nanny tech and launch the car at a higher RPM. Those same people may also, if this is done repeatedly, break their differential and/or a half shaft depending on how much tolearnce SRT built into them. As I understand it, the diff is the same in the Gen V as the one in the Gen IV. A stock Gen V with stock tires, even with the best driver, is unlikely to break 3 seconds based on the stats.

I have a supercharged AWD SRT Jeep. As FLL says implies above, the AWD allows for a perfect launch every time with minimal effort.

I never mentioned stock tires. You are the one saying that. I said it will do it with drag radials.
You are also comparing apples to oranges. A challenger with drag radials is very different than a viper with drag radials. With the viper you don't need any track prep for it to stick like glue. It is a light car with, very close to 50% weight distribution front/rear "axle". My viper sticks its tires like a **** on the street without a burnout or anything track prep you name it. The drag radials will benefit most people who want to really test the new viper with the traction control off because they will be going faster with the T.C. off + a pair of D.R. on the rear than with the Nannies on. That is a fact and really the only way to know what the new viper will do best for traction in stock form. It is only $600 bucks or so for a pair, so I could care less if I have to change them every 5k or 10k.

About breaking rear axles, it is not that easy to do with ACRs ( Drag raced mine repeatedly last year with no failures) because it looks like the half shafts on the 08-10 acrs are more robust than any other vipers and were designed to take care of the stickier tires that the acrs came with according to dodge.

I believe when you buy a sports car, it is all about having fun and taking the risks into consideration but also learning how to live with them without becoming paranoid.That is enjoying a car my friend.

If the rear end will break. If, If, IF..... Let it happen first, Then, the same guys as me that paid 136K for their ACRs can give Unitrax a call and have them built a bullet proof dif. for $3500 and then launching all day long at 6000rpm after.

Lastly, AWD have their problems too and they eventually brake or cause trouble with steering, transfer-case, bearings, etc... I had an AWD car and it is just not for me but I respect and admire some awd cars. Everything comes with a price and AWD systems have their ups and downs as well.

The question you gotta ask yourself at the end of each day and if/or a failure occurred with your sport's car is:
Did I have the most amount of fun driving the car the way it was supposed to so, I could go as fast as possible? if your answer is yes, than you won't care about fixing something that broke.:2tu:

Drive it, use it, race it, have fun with it!!!! Drag racing, auto crossing, etc... and etc... Don't buy a sports car to baby it, that would be insane to do it

Last edited:

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as whether or not a Viper is a supercar/exotic/muscle car/gt car.....

You must be registered for see images

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm predicting 0 -60 in 3.2 and 1/4 mile in 11.2 @ 130 MPH. :2tu:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm predicting 0 -60 in 3.2 and 1/4 mile in 11.2 @ 130 MPH. :2tu:

This is exactly my guess as well for the mags...

The problem with mag tests isn't only the driver "sometimes" but also the venue they choose to use to do the testing on. If they used a prepped 1/4 track or prepped surface you would see acceleration times closer to what the owners are getting at drag strips. You can't judge mag times on unprepared surfaces vs owners times at prepped drag strips. That being said there is no way, whether prepped or unprepped surface, that the Gen V is gonna only hit 120mph in any mag tests. That's ludicrous.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I agree we are at the mercy of the tester and there are so many variables, but every car tested is subject to the same varying conditions. Car and Driver used to account for all the varying conditions and apply some kind of formula to the results. I'm assuming they don't do this anymore as there used to be a footnote at the bottom of their summary test page; hell they don't even publish the summary test page anymore. Anyway there should be added motivation for the tester to achieve a good launch, after all, who wants to be beaten by launch control in a manual transmission-ed car.

This is exactly my guess as well for the mags...

The problem with mag tests isn't only the driver "sometimes" but also the venue they choose to use to do the testing on. If they used a prepped 1/4 track or prepped surface you would see acceleration times closer to what the owners are getting at drag strips. You can't judge mag times on unprepared surfaces vs owners times at prepped drag strips. That being said there is no way, whether prepped or unprepped surface, that the Gen V is gonna only hit 120mph in any mag tests. That's ludicrous.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You missed my point. This thread is about the performance numbers for the STOCK vehicle. It is not about what the car will do with changed tires or modifications. As for using SRT vehicles for performance, I suggest that you look at what is listed at the bottom of each of my posts. Each vehicle was carefully modded to produce a very reliable enhanced performance vehicle. As for Vipers always sticking, I have seen ( not on my Viper since it is not used for drag racing) other scenarios including the rear end kicking out; wheel hop; and bogging off the line.

I never mentioned stock tires. You are the one saying that. I said it will do it with drag radials.
You are also comparing apples to oranges. A challenger with drag radials is very different than a viper with drag radials. With the viper you don't need any track prep for it to stick like glue. It is a light car with, very close to 50% weight distribution front/rear "axle". My viper sticks its tires like a **** on the street without a burnout or anything track prep you name it. The drag radials will benefit most people who want to really test the new viper with the traction control off because they will be going faster with the T.C. off + a pair of D.R. on the rear than with the Nannies on. That is a fact and really the only way to know what the new viper will do best for traction in stock form. It is only $600 bucks or so for a pair, so I could care less if I have to change them every 5k or 10k.

About breaking rear axles, it is not that easy to do with ACRs ( Drag raced mine repeatedly last year with no failures) because it looks like the half shafts on the 08-10 acrs are more robust than any other vipers and were designed to take care of the stickier tires that the acrs came with according to dodge.

I believe when you buy a sports car, it is all about having fun and taking the risks into consideration but also learning how to live with them without becoming paranoid.That is enjoying a car my friend.

If the rear end will break. If, If, IF..... Let it happen first, Then, the same guys as me that paid 136K for their ACRs can give Unitrax a call and have them built a bullet proof dif. for $3500 and then launching all day long at 6000rpm after.

Lastly, AWD have their problems too and they eventually brake or cause trouble with steering, transfer-case, bearings, etc... I had an AWD car and it is just not for me but I respect and admire some awd cars. Everything comes with a price and AWD systems have their ups and downs as well.

The question you gotta ask yourself at the end of each day and if/or a failure occurred with your sport's car is:
Did I have the most amount of fun driving the car the way it was supposed to so, I could go as fast as possible? if your answer is yes, than you won't care about fixing something that broke.:2tu:

Drive it, use it, race it, have fun with it!!!! Drag racing, auto crossing, etc... and etc... Don't buy a sports car to baby it, that would be insane to do it

OP
OP
F

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It,s true,all my other Vipers Wheel Hoped real,real bad.I Hate That.I hope they fixed that on the Gen.5s...

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You missed my point. This thread is about the performance numbers for the STOCK vehicle. It is not about what the car will do with changed tires or modifications. As for using SRT vehicles for performance, I suggest that you look at what is listed at the bottom of each of my posts. Each vehicle was carefully modded to produce a very reliable enhanced performance vehicle. As for Vipers always sticking, I have seen ( not on my Viper since it is not used for drag racing) other scenarios including the rear end kicking out; wheel hop; and bogging off the line.

So, you should've never talked to me in 1st place because I was talking about the advantages of the car having better tires and performing at its best with the nannies off. I guess you missed MY point and (again)that one never directed to comparisons or testing the car on stock tires. I could care less of stock tires as nothing gets acomplished to its full potential these days on street tires on a 640hp/600lbs-trq car.

I am free to post here and express my opinion which is not going out of the topic because is a proven solution to improve the car's ets on the quarter mile and add more safety for street driving in dry pavement.

Your opinion makes no sense because if you like AWD so much and not spinning the tires with a clean go and at the same time your saying things about drag radials on vipers like they **** or are not the best thing to do for most drivers. Who are you to say that if you never even tried drag radials on your viper?

Seriously, I don't think my viper is bogging that much of the line when I am cutting 1.66ft on my 60ft or nor is breaking axles after 50 passes dated on the quarter mile to this day. On the street is also alot better than pilot sport cups to go fast overall as long your not cornering hard so again, I don't know where you coming from.

I test my things and DO NOT SPEAK hypothetically all the time like you mostly do on your posts.

Go risk your life on those stupid, boring mile runs that all it takes is little bit of oil on the track for you to lose control, crash your car and die. I will stick with my old school drag racing and have clean 1/4 mile passes with a risk of having to buy a 3k diff.. oh well

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Emotion seems to be clouding your reading ability. I have nothing against drag radials and my posts do not state same. I made the observation that, under some conditions, there is some additional risk of breaking a half shaft or the diff or something else when they are used. If someone knows the tolerances of their vehicle, that is not a concern since one can adjust accordingly as needed. I made this observation based on what I have seen.

I also did not state in any way that you should not post. Your thoughts are welcome. What I did say was that the title of the thread is: "Performance Numbers Gen.5". By definition that means numbers produced by the stock vehicle as the OP indicated. What the car will do with changes to it is a separate subject.

BTW, I also drive the Viper and the Challenger on road courses. Road course driving takes a considerably broader driving skill set than drag racing in the stock classes. ( I have NHRA drag racing licenses in Supergas, Supercomp and Top Dragster so I am not speaking hypothetically.) As for standing mile events being boring, I suggest that you try one. It is a drag race but over one mile instead of 1/4 mile. If you still think it is boring after you do one, please report back and state why. It would be interesting to learn why.

Your 60 foot time is terrific. You are repping Vipers well.

This statement deserves a follow up comment: "On the street is also alot better than pilot sport cups to go fast overall as long your not cornering hard so again, I don't know where you coming from."

SRT tunes the Viper suspension with the OEM tires. If you are using drag radials full time, as I do on two of my vehicles ( Challenger and Lightning), additional care should be taken - particularly at high speeds since drag radials generally are not speed rated as high as the OEM performance tires.

I have a fully adjustable suspension on my Viper which has been tuned and the car corner balanced to accomadate the changes in the vehicle. Even in dry conditions, you never know when some idiot is going to do something dangerous near you which requires a rapid and precise turning response. And, in a Viper this happens quite frequently with people on the highway gawking or trying to take a picture of the Viper while near it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on now.... Still Waiting for the numbers............ Let us/your customers at least see the quarter mile and stopping numbers....

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the 458's are running in the 10's without awd.......i assume based on weight distribution...... so are the new maclaren's...... you would hope the viper can hook up....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte