PIA removing PS pulley

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edit: Please note that LifeIsGood has bought a better tool for this as shown in one of his replies below.

I just wanted to share a compact pulley that I fabricated to avoid completely removing the pump and buying a new puller. Perhaps a vendor could manufacture something simple like this to ship with a pulley kit, that's the thought to share.... I bought an aluminum pulley and bracket set from JonB, very nice quality for the money, and a new belt from a Chrysler dealer.

You must be registered for see images

I can be a bit of a loser thinking that I can make anything at times... usually wasting time.. but this one worked out ok. Diggin' into my steel scrap bin, decided to use a train track hold down thing that I must have picked up on a walkabout down the local train tracks... to use for material to make the compact puller.

I chopped it up..

I used the chop saw to cut 25 mm wide slots (must be accurately cut to 25 mm outer edge of slot to the other outer edge of slot) in it.

After cutting more slots between and cleaning it up with an angle grinder, I then used a file to make some grooves that are 29 mm wide (each groove is filed 2 mm deep), leaving 3 mm thick fingers, it's good steel, had to use cutting lube such as transmission fluid so the file would bite into the hard steel

Here's the finished compact puller. Using a 3/8-16 X 1 3/4 long bolt which threads into pump shaft, the idea is to thread the bolt into the shaft, and back the bolt out using a box end wrench which will push the puller and pull the pulley off. I grinded the top of the bolt head smooth because the bolt head is going to spin on the puller face.

Here's the compact puller attached, basically I threaded the bolt into the pulley shaft, put the box end wrench on it, slipped the puller on into the pulley groove and backed off the bolt off counterclockwise which pushed the pulley and pulled the pulley off. The slot was wide enough that the box end wrench can come off the head for each rotation. Leaving the belt on helped to stop the pulley from rotating.

That's it, the pulley is off!!!

If anything.. hope it's useful or worth a laugh at what I do in my garage at times... :rolleyes: :rolaugh:

Cheers,
Mike

PS.. should be PITA... but the motor mount removal Post was a typo being PIA... stickin' to a theme now... :D

Edit.. One last pic, it was a pretty quick install of the new bracket by moving the pump aside to get to the bracket bolts, no issues. Glad it's done!

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome writeup Mike!!! Looks like we have another addition to the illustrated section. That looks like the late Big Brake Dave's pulley and it's a work of art. Thanks for sharing!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add to the illustrated section :confused:...who else is gonna fabricate that :dunno:. As info...I just pulled my PS pulley and also installed the new one last week with a $20 puller/installer from Harbor Freight.

Last edited:

colo08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Pulley and Bracket are products of IPSCo_Org and sold by Partsrack.com

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add to the illustrated section :confused:...who else is gonna fabricate that :dunno:. As info...I just pulled my PS pulley and also installed the new one last week with a $20 puller/installer from Harbor Freight.

Did your puller fit on the snout of the pulley while the pump was in the installed position? Perhaps a vendor can make a cheap compact puller like this, that was the thought... just sharing ideas...

Cheers,
Mike

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excellent Mike. Mine broke in front of the only mechanic along Highway 20 while driving home from hundreds of miles away. His manufactured pulley was 3 piece and fit together onto the PS pulley while mounted on car (with new Roe billet PS bracket. Very few pullers work for these pulleys and I didn't figure one out like yours so although I did get my bracket changed (it broke backing out of my garage) I still had the pulley in the trunk. The puller I rented looked like it would work, but it didn't.

Can you imagine the luck it took to break down in front of the only correct pulley owner within 200 miles??? He's looking after me!

Way to go Mike, I like it!

Ted

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did your puller fit on the snout of the pulley while the pump was in the installed position?

Yes, I replaced the pulley and bracket while the pump was still attached (via hoses) to the car...tried a few places/brands...
AutoZone has OEM...puller didn't fit under the pulley collar
Checkers has Powerbuilt...puller didn't fit under the pulley collar
PepBoys has the OEM brand, but I didn't try it
Harbor Freight has US General (item 40749)...puller and installer worked for me​

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For a pusher/installer we just used a nut and long bolt with a washer. Screw the bolt into the PS snout with the nut, washer and puller on the bolt, then loosen the nut until it has forced the pulley on.

Ted

OP
OP

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I replaced the pulley and bracket while the pump was still attached (via hoses) to the car...tried a few places/brands...
Harbor Freight has US General (item 40749)...puller and installer worked for me

Looks like this is the one you're referring to, good to let others know.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I'm far too impatient to order stuff when I want to get the job done the same day.

Cheers,
Mike

OP
OP

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent Mike. Mine broke in front of the only mechanic along Highway 20 while driving home from hundreds of miles away. His manufactured pulley was 3 piece and fit together onto the PS pulley while mounted on car (with new Roe billet PS bracket. Very few pullers work for these pulleys and I didn't figure one out like yours so although I did get my bracket changed (it broke backing out of my garage) I still had the pulley in the trunk. The puller I rented looked like it would work, but it didn't.

Can you imagine the luck it took to break down in front of the only correct pulley owner within 200 miles??? He's looking after me!

Way to go Mike, I like it!

Ted

Thanks Ted, mind you it's bit of a hobo solution, just glad the job is done today.

OP
OP

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome writeup Mike!!! Looks like we have another addition to the illustrated section. That looks like the late Big Brake Dave's pulley and it's a work of art. Thanks for sharing!

I'm honoured to have a creation on my car from the late and great Big Brake Dave. :2tu:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi flow cat?
:rolaugh:

Cheers, aussies are cool, but I have Finnish ancestors..

my bad, thanks for replying

Harbor Freight has US General (item 40749)...puller and installer worked for me​

thanks for the info l-i-g

this one :dunno:

You must be registered for see images attach

For a pusher/installer we just used a nut and long bolt with a washer. Screw the bolt into the PS snout with the nut, washer and puller on the bolt, then loosen the nut until it has forced the pulley on.

Ted

good info ted, thanks

fine thread for those of us who have this on the todo list :headbang:

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just curious, were you able to use the puller with the PS pump mounted. I thought the cross brace would be in the way.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, mr handyman, nice ***** you got there;)

Looks good what you made there, i'm impressed.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well done 2000 Black!
I recently changed my PS pulley and bracket and took a slightly diffirent route. I pulled the pump, took it and the new Roe pulley to the local NAPA, had the guy swap them, I handed him $20 and done. It was time to flush the PS system so I did that to make sure everything was clean and ready. The only problem I encountered is I unknowingly dripped some PS fluid on the belt. When I started the car it squeeled and I thought for awhile that I messed up the pump somehow. The Wizard sent me a new belt and now I'm good to go.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious, were you able to use the puller with the PS pump mounted. I thought the cross brace would be in the way.

I removed the pump/pulley from the pump/pulley bracket, but left the hoses connected. You can maneuver the pulley on top of the cross brace and use it as a table...

I taped off the hose and cross brace to keep them from getting damaged and damaging the pulley.

This is the puller setup...

This is the installer setup...

Last edited:
OP
OP

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the pump/pulley from the pump/pulley bracket, but left the hoses connected. You can maneuver the pulley on top of the cross brace and use it as a table...

I taped off the hose and cross brace to keep them from getting damaged and damaging the pulley.

This is the puller setup...

This is the installer setup...

Definitely a better method and tool. Your tool engages more around the snout rebate circumference. Yet the 2 piece aluminum pulley from JonB doesn't require an install tool.

Regardless, because of the home fabbing yesterday, I'm leaving to go out for a drive right now and enjoy the nice weather. :drive:

Cheers,
Mike