Pic of SRT Hood

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ironic considering the Gen V is essentially a remake of a 17 year old design.

I agree with you. Sometimes, it's really hard to improve on a concept, even if it's "old". The 1996 GTS may be a 17 year old design, but its lines are timeless, and my car still turns heads everywhere I go. I have owned many cars over the years, and none have stirred people's emotions like my '96 GTS. Even after 17 years, I still get a thrill about driving it (the 1,000 HP just might have something to do with it too). I really like the new design because it basically seems to be a refinement of the car that started the GTS breed.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well since this is all about opinions....here's my take.

I have always like the Gen 4 hood since its really aggressive. Thought I would like it on the Gen V as well. Having said that, I really prefer the new GTS type hood. This because it something you wont see on older Vipers ....something different. Looks great with the lines of the car. It just flows.

The 'gilled' 6 vented hood is simply dated. Just like the 5 spoke wheels (don't get me wrong...they look great on Gen 3 and 4)

Its time to move forward and allow the car to look fresh, new and unique.....don't just take a bunch of old designs and put them back on this new car. You want old...there are plenty of used Vipers available.

Matt

The Gen 5 is a lot of things but a fresh new design it is not.
Don't take a lot of old designs and use them on this car?
Never saw those rounded curvy fenders or front opening hood before..oh wait I have one in the garage.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The yellow car looks much wider the the blue ?
Is it the light color, the 6 vents hood or just camera angle ? ...
Yep, and you left out the fact that stripes can be slimming too. :D
They're the same no doubt.

Nice find Chris! :2tu:

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dare anybody on this forum to come up with a design that's 100% original and highly functional.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those two cars simply look FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC. Amazing how the cheerleaders changed their tune :dunno:

Anyway, I have never seen a hood as elegent as this one, period.

in SRT I trust.

May the pricing come tomorrow :)

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a GTS R style aftermarket hood with more vents for the Gen II that was a hot seller because it was more aggressive looking and actually helped cool better. The aftermarket gave the Gen III and IV the Competition Coupe hood with more vents. The same logic applies to the SRT hood on the Gen V only it can be ordered from the factory. It is awesome that Ralph and SRT are actually offering 2 hood options but IMHO the SRT hood clearly wins over the GTS hood.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 5 is a lot of things but a fresh new design it is not.
Don't take a lot of old designs and use them on this car?
Never saw those rounded curvy fenders or front opening hood before..oh wait I have one in the garage.

Not sure what you are questioning on my post....I thought it was pretty clear. Here it is again.

- I like the new GTS hood because it something different (new and fresh) and I personally think it works better with the rest of the car design.
- I don't like the gilled, vented, hood as well since its just a updated Gen 4 look. Its been done....move on.
- There are plenty of cars that have curvy lines and unique front opening hoods. That's not what I was commenting on. I was just voicing my preference on the hood design between the two that are available. The good news is that the buyers will in fact have a choice. Two distinctly different looks for sure.

I also do agree with the observation that the gilled hood makes the front end look somewhat fish like. Could be that the wide angle shot makes that more pronounced.

Matt

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Twitter: can't post picture..sorry

What are you referring to? I went to his twitter account and see nothing on the 6 vent hood. I don't have a twitter account and I was on my phone so maybe I'm missing something.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice the ride heights of both cars. I wonder if that is the production ride height?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say the headlights are on the blue car and off on the yellow. Can not see them making a different colour headlight for a different model.

Well you'd be incorrect...the headlight colors are listed out in the buyers guide straight from SRT

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out twitter now.

What are you referring to? I went to his twitter account and see nothing on the 6 vent hood. I don't have a twitter account and I was on my phone so maybe I'm missing something.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found this picture by chance looking around on twitter... Since I haven't seen a picture of the SRT hood I figured I'd share!

You must be registered for see images attach

Ugh, these photos are killing me. The back should look wider than the front, or else...

You must be registered for see images

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ugh, these photos are killing me. The back should look wider than the front, or else...

That's just the wide angle shot. The back is actually a hair wider than the front.
(though it does surprise me that the camera in the shadow looks like a phone)

F

FrgMstr

Knock knock knock......"Land.....er I mean, Whaleshark!"

You must be registered for see images attach

stingray23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well since this is all about opinions....here's my take.

I have always like the Gen 4 hood since its really aggressive. Thought I would like it on the Gen V as well. Having said that, I really prefer the new GTS type hood. This because it something you wont see on older Vipers ....something different. Looks great with the lines of the car. It just flows.

The 'gilled' 6 vented hood is simply dated. Just like the 5 spoke wheels (don't get me wrong...they look great on Gen 3 and 4)

Its time to move forward and allow the car to look fresh, new and unique.....don't just take a bunch of old designs and put them back on this new car. You want old...there are plenty of used Vipers available.

Matt
Agree. tired on the same ol' wheels.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
]

That's because they widened the front a couple of inches and kept the back relatively the same. It looks poorly proportioned (because it is). If you remember the mules they always had wider front fenders with camo but the rear remained untouched. It worried me when I first saw them. Maybe SRT got confused when we asked for "low and wide". LOL. Widened the front instead of the rear.

PS. Yes I understand the wider track in the front improves handling...but so does a wider rear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen