Planning on buying Edelbrock Headers for an '01, anything I should know?

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Planning on buying Edelbrock Headers for an \'01, anything I should know?

I am planning on buying edelbrock headers for my 2001. Is their anything I should know about install, check engine light problems (fixes)? Pro's/con's of the edelbrock vs. other headers on the market. Thanks in advance.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Planning on buying Edelbrock Headers for an \'01, anything I should know

Yea, dont waste your money!

I agree.

Do yourself a favor and call JonB at Partsrack. He'll give the details you need in order to make an informed decision depending on what you're looking to achieve. I ordered my Belanger's from JonB last week and can't wait to get them installed. After wasting time and money on what I thought were quality headers I learned my lesson. I don't have firsthand experience with Edelbrocks but for a couple hundred dollars more you could simply go with Belangers. Any particular reason you're going with 1 3/4" or Edelbrock?

OP
OP

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was going to go with 1 5/8" Edelbrock's but apparantly that wouldn't be a good decision. I was getting them new for a great price but I woud like to have a part I would keep. Any other opinions on the edelbrock's and any check engine light nightmares? I could probably get a used set of belangers for about 250$ more than the new edelbrock's but might just get new belangers if the edelbrocks are truely a bad decision. More advice please?

Reaction score

If you want a 50 state legal header that is well made Edelbrock is the ticket. If you are looking for every ponny possible look at all options. I had Edelbrocks on my 96RT and 97GTS. The HP gain mid range was about 20-25 and 12-15 at the top of the RPM range.

I like mid range HP improvements because that is where it is needed most. The stock motor has 450 hp in the 5500 RPM area so adding a little to a big number is still a little improvement. In the mid range the HP is 300-370 adding a little number in has more performance benefit in my eyes. I look at this from street and track use where mid range has more use vs drag racing where the high end hp has more pay back.

IMHO

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yea, dont waste your money!

I agree.
I triple that motion...Gains are minimal on your year where the older gen2s had amore resrictive cast manifiold and benefited from a header change. It will sound better though...If you pickup 15 HP if you will be lucky...AL... :laugh:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had Belangers for 4-5 years and have had no issues with them. They look as good today as when I first installed them. :2tu:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Headers on a cream puff is a waste of money, unless of course you plan on doing head and cam work.

My car gained 12 rwhp when replacing a rear muffler delete system with headers/ hi-flow cats and cat-back.

OP
OP

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, only 12rwhp? Have other people gotten similar numbers with adding headers/hi-flow cats/cat-back to their creampuff's? I don't plan on heavily modifying the car because of it's cast internals and the fact that it's still covered under a maxcare warranty. Are there any other modifications you'd suggest? How does the random-tech hi-flow cat/catback system sound on an otherwise stock creampuff? Would their be any realized gain in power? Also, if anyone has a set of K&N's and smooth-tubes for sale used PM me please.

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score

01GTS,

I have considered all the same questions/concerns as you and have choosen to go with the edelbrock headers. Here's why;

#1) The ONLY header on the market that is 50 state emission legal with CARB #. This is important to me not becuase i particularly care about the effects of my weekend warrior on the enviroment but becuase it assures you no check engine lights or triggered codes. (Otherwise it would fail en emission test)

#2) The only header I know of that's BOTH a quality stainless steel AND ceramic coated from the factory. Very well made and super high quality. All the others are "either/or," not both.

#3) The latest one's are *1 3/4 inch* primary going to a 5-into-1 style outlet with 3 inch outlet. From what i have seen on many dyno's and been reconfirmed by several owners that have first hand experience themselves, this style header flows better when F/I'ed or under big CFM flow advances over stock. The "tri-Y" design of the bellanger is great for stock, or mild N/A set-ups..but actually robs horsepower when heavily supercharged and such, even with the "pickles out." (ps; the B & B also are a 5-into-1 designed, and are commonly "accepted" as being the most powerful ones on the market...these are stainless steel but not ceramic coated like the edelbrocks)

#4) You're getting a garaunteed product from a company thats been designing quality products for the aftermarket industry for longer than ALL of the other headers company's put together**

...you can't go with what most people on these boards say becuase they'll simply follow the "herd mentality" and what they think or heard from another forum member (lol) and have NO experience in the actual product itself. Anyone who actual HAS the lastest edelbrocks (1 3/4 inch, S.S. & coated headers) will tell you it met or exceeded their expectations. People whom never even SEEN them in their lifes which know little about them or the great company that designed them will tell you they're garbage, lol...I have no bias and could of purchased any of them, I was told by a racer who has dyno'ed all of them and used them on his various race vipers to go with the edelbrocks...after my OWN research I choose to take his advice....now we will see to put an end to this once and for all. I dyno'ed my 97GTS recently, after the installation of these new edelbrocks with Roe high-flow cats we will see exactly what the gains are. I will also post the before-and-after dyno graphs for you all to see. If all I'm saying turns out to be incorrect in any way...all will see. ;-))

Cheers,

~ Kevin D.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Headers on a cream puff is a waste of money, unless of course you plan on doing head and cam work.

My car gained 12 rwhp when replacing a rear muffler delete system with headers/ hi-flow cats and cat-back.

Interesting...my creampuff Dyno'd at 448RWHP and 479RWTQ with Borla 1 5/8 stepped headers, B&B cats and B&B catback. Dyno sheet is posted search "Dyno Results". I have no internal engine mods. What would head and cam work add to performance gains?

OP
OP

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, seems like strong numbers for a creampuff. Any idea what it dyno'd before the mod's?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kevin D.... we want to know the before and after figures NOW.......post the sheets later

Thanks

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, seems like strong numbers for a creampuff. Any idea what it dyno'd before the mod's?

No, I never had it dyno'd when it was completely stock. I just might have to put the stock exhaust back on and establish a baseline. It's bothering me not know what the stock numbers were.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wish you luck with the Edelbrocks. Myself, I found it hard to find any detailed info on them-even on Edelbrock's website.

This pic from Summit seems to show the Edelbrock headers having primary tubing from cylinders 4 & 8 on the passenger side, and 3 & 7 on driver's side smashed in at the end to fit into Edelbrock's rather short collector.

You must be registered for see images attach

Which can't be good for performance. In fact it flies in the face of whatever kind of header theory you're partial to.

Edelbrock's just a company afterall. They'll sell anything the masses will buy. If their headers were the Uber-headers I'd buy a set tomorrow.

Plan on extending your O2 sensor wiring while you've got the car apart

I ordered some 3 bolt 2.25" exhaust pipe flanges from a Midwest header builder last week...

Typically he likes to talk about too many things involving header theory, keeping me on his non-toll free phone way too long...Including 'herd mentality' this time actually.

He mentioned without naming names, that one Viper header builder who gets a few header parts from him kind of felt like Viper owners don't get their hands dirty too much, and will buy on bling and hype rather than results..

I can't find anyone who builds headers for Vipers in that region, and this guy doesn't make anything at all for Vipers himself. So I don't know who he's talking about.

But why would he make it up if he doesn't sell anything for Vipers?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Interesting...my creampuff Dyno'd at 448RWHP and 479RWTQ with Borla 1 5/8 stepped headers, B&B cats and B&B catback. Dyno sheet is posted search "Dyno Results". I have no internal engine mods. What would head and cam work add to performance gains?

My car dynoed 440 rwhp after the full exhaust install. A 99 GTS, on the same dyno with a similar exhaust set up, made 439 rwhp. Given the fact the 99 has the 708 cam, my car didn't do too bad.

It's just that my car made 428 rwhp with a rear muffler delete, tubes and filters, so I am not quite sure it was worth it in the end. BTW, many cream puff owners have had disappointing gains after installing a full exhaust system.

Allowing for minor differences in dyno's, corrected/SAE versus actual readings,etc, our cars aren't that far off.

And to answer your question, heads/rockers and cam will add about 75 to 100 rwhp, mine made 540 rwhp afterwards.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also the only one with a flex connector like the factory setup.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have some real world info (that I admit has been refuted by some on this board). When I bought my car it had a set of Edelbrocks on it. They had been wrapped in header insulation fabric so the ceramic coating was ruined. Not their fault. But the mid-flanges (see pic)

You must be registered for see images

had warped so badly that the gaskets had blown out, were long gone, and there was NO way they would ever hold a gasket again the way they were (if you held a straight edge ont he mid-flanges they were cupped more than a 1/16" in the center). It seems that five separate tubes connecting to the mid-flanges and changing shape independently overwhelmed the ability of the flange to stay flat. Of course this could have been exacerbated by some sort of condition causing overheated exhaust temps, but it showed the weakness of the design (the heavy flex section also does not have a hanger - that has to droop and stress the system). I have known the Belangers for years and live about 10 miles from Lou's shop so I had him redo the exhaust from head to tip. Then I sold the Edelbrocks used to someone who knew he was going to have to re-grind the mid-flanges flat again in order to use them. I'm guessing they stayed put after he did that.

But honestly, if I had to do it over again, the car would have stock exhaust on it (with heat shields Wizard!). It is ******** loud and who knows what kind of power the exhaust made for the ridiulous price it cost.

[EDIT] Whoa! just saw this pic of the McLaren?Ricardo developed race engine. Those are clearly Belanger Tri-Ys. Tells you something (mainly that the big dog tuners do not think an open collector is required for big breathing).

IMG_4713.jpg

Link To Post on Gen III Board Where Pic Came From

OP
OP

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I can get to 440rwhp with full exhaust and smooth tubes I would be happy with the results vs cost. (assuming this would mean a 30+rwhp gain for ~3K). Anyone know if most creampuff owners have experienced around 440rwhp w/full exhaust and smooth tubes?

OP
OP

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am probably just going to go ahead and order the Edelbrock Headers as they are carb legal. Before I do, I'm still wondering if it will trigger a check engine light on a 2001. If anyone has any information either way I would really appreciate your input before morning. Thanks again for are your help. I do like a loud system but I hope this won't resinate like my SVS system did on my 99 ACR. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

G

grcforce327

Re: Planning on buying Edelbrock Headers for an \'01, anything I should know?

The only thing you might want to do is take a die grinder and smooth out the "HUGE" weld beads in "EVERY" port for a smoother transition and less restriction! :2tu:

You must be registered for see images

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Planning on buying Edelbrock Headers for an \'01, anything I should know?

For the record I have had the Edelbrock headers on my 95 for 3 years now. I have not had any issues with exhaust leaks or any other problems.

As for power picked up on my Gen 1, I am not 100% sure. When I put the headers on, I had a complete fresh rebuilt motor, with heads, cam + headers and netted a 100 RWHP over the stock numbers of 376 RWHP.

Here they are installed on the car.

2222ViperEngine.JPG

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kevin D.... we want to know the before and after figures NOW.......post the sheets later

Thanks
I apologize for makin it unclear in my post...I have already done the "BEFORE" dyno without the edelbrocks + highflow cats...as soon as these new edelbrocks are installed with the Roe highflow 3" metal substrate cats I will do an "AFTER" dyno at the same facility, on the same dyno, by the same dyno operator. My mods should be installed by late next week, will definitely keep you guys posted! :)

~ Kevin

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This pic from Summit seems to show the Edelbrock headers having primary tubing from cylinders 4 & 8 on the passenger side, and 3 & 7 on driver's side smashed in at the end to fit into Edelbrock's rather short collector.

The squished ends of the primaries is one of the biggest issues I've seen with the Edeldrock headers. It's something that plagues more than just their Viper headers too. I had them on my (and Fred's) RT/10 and I have set on another car. I think I'd pick something else this time around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang