PLEASE Check Tire Pressure

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder to everyone about something that can be very dangerous. We check every Car and Truck that enter our doors and have found that 2/3 are 5-10 psi lower than prescibed. Thanks!

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
huh, I just checked my drivers door and manual and they both say 35PSI, so that's what I've been running...

I wonder if the 35 was for the original tires and they updated it when they started fitting Pilot Sports, which is what I'm currently running (on stock 3-spoke rims)

Someone please advise as to why these are different???

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my door sticker says 29

I know most cars offer a lower psi for optimal performance driving and a higher psi for a "smoother" cadillac ride

OP
OP
L

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would run no less than 29 psi on the street. Obviously racing would make a difference and people run from 22 -40psi depending on the situation. Lower tire pressure to hook on launch, add pressure for high speed.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 32 psi with the original XGTZ for a Gen I and reduced it to 28-29 with Pilot Sports. No idea why the sticker would say 35 psi. I now run 31-32 psi with run craps.

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took mine out for the first time after it had cooled down here and noticed one tire very low. Checked it and it had 10 lbs while the other 3 were about 25. Put in 30 all around and have been watching the one that was low and it is holding fine. Weird.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same deal here. All hold 31 except for left front. Sometimes it holds for pressure for three weeks and then suddenly goes to 20. Sometimes it drops to 20 in a day. Some kinda voodoo hex I'm thinkin'.

:confused:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
snampro...hope that the following info helps:

From the 1995 Viper Owner's Manual...(for Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 that were the OEM tires)....35 lbs is the stated cold tire inflation pressure.

In 1996 BOTH the Gen I RT/10's and the Gen II GTS's were shod with Pilot SX Mxx3's...with a recommended cold tire inflation pressure of 29 lbs....and these tires were used on Vipers thru 1998, with the exception of the 100 GT2's (1998) which had the new Pilot Sport's.

1999-2002...Pilot Sport's...with a recommended cold tire inflation pressure of 29 lbs.

Gen III's...Pilot Sport Zero Pressure ("run-flats")...with a recommended cold tire inflation pressure of 29 lbs.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info steve.

the only other thing I notice is that when they changed to pilot sports in '99 they also went from 17" to 18" rims, but that should have no effect on the necessary tire pressure...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
CORRECTION: I was WRONG about the 1998 GT 2 tires in the above post...I checked via Maurice Liang's book " Viper Buyer's Guide"...they were Michelin Pilot SX tires (NOT "Pilot Sports") but with a slightly lower aspect ratio nunber due to the step-up to 18" wheels.

Sorry !

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info steve.

the only other thing I notice is that when they changed to pilot sports in '99 they also went from 17" to 18" rims, but that should have no effect on the necessary tire pressure...

Tire pressure can change based on different tire sizes (profile). The 18" tires, if I am not mistaken, have a lower profile than the 17s.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang