Poll - header heat shields. You got 'em?

Do you have header heat shields?

• Rusty headers no shields

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Rusty headers with shields

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Coated headers no shields

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Coated headers with shields

Votes: 23 35.9%

• Total voters

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS came with borla headers and no heat shields when I bought it
My friend works at HPC/Jethot and I get a good deal on coatings, so I took off the headers and had them coated with HPC/Jethot extreme-coating. When I removed the freshair box it was fine but the blower case was warped a little.
I then ran the coated headers, minus the shields, for a month or so and checked the areas around the headers. Now the case has opened up and warped more and the freshair box has a 3/4" hole melted into it. The O2 sensor wire shielding was melted as well, so I replaced it with some high-temp wrap.
Needless to say I have just bought some used shields from a forum member and will be fitting them soon.

Were those the 1 5/8 stepped headers for GenII? If so, I had a set before I went with Belanger. Even with fresh jet hot they ran really hot but made good power/torque. I definitely can tell a difference in heat reduction with the Belangers. Do you still have the Borlas?

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Belangers w/o shields. No problems till I drove from Dallas to Vegas and was then stuck in traffic on the strip (July)... Smelt something burning, like electrical, pulled over, searched the entire engine compartment to find the bottom of the A/C fresh air box had a hole melted in in about 1"X1.5".

I'm not sure what kind of headers I have - other than RUSTY! (Currently the only one it seems) but I've heard plenty of good reasons to add them back to my engine. (Previous owner removed)
Engine_view.jpg

I haven't heard one good advantage to leaving them off and the risk to the car in general seems high. Seems to me the intelligent choice is to keep them if you have them / install them if you don't.

Thanks for this thread. So helpful to this newbie Viper owner. :2tu:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to me the intelligent choice is to keep them if you have them / install them if you don't.

Thanks for this thread. So helpful to this newbie Viper owner. :2tu:

I'm starting to agree on putting them on when I do my headers. I really have no excuse, since my set is shiny purdy right now.

And I don't want holes melted in my plastic parts, living in Texas, where we call 110 deg Tuesday.

VPR RACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I brought my ACR with Belanger's into Valaya Racing last month and Ted May said you should have the exhaust shields installed due to the high heat the headers give off. Another advantage is it hides the aftermarket headers from the smog inspection here in California.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have always used header shields. The excessive heat can cause damage to wiring and other under hood components. The blower housing, plug wires, master cylinder, and brake lines can all be effected by heat. On supercharged engines this is especially prevalent.

There are many options, you can use your production heat shields (for most headers) or you can replace them with high quality Inconel covers. On mild steel headers (Bellanger) you need to space them out to
allow an air gap to keep the headers from cracking. If you keep the heat in the exhaust and out of the engine compartment your engine will make more power and run cooler.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc.
310-841-6996
DC Performance: Proven Performance

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, seems the guys running no cats and Jet Hot coated headers are not having any issues. I feel confident that the heat with the headers and no cats, in my case is much cooler temp wise than the stock manifolds.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, seems the guys running no cats and Jet Hot coated headers are not having any issues. I feel confident that the heat with the headers and no cats, in my case is much cooler temp wise than the stock manifolds.

I would tend to agree with this. We have both set ups. Both cars with Belanger headers, both have 5 pound Roes. One has no cats and 3" Belanger exhaust. One has hi flow cats, 3" Corsa track exhaust, and factory heat shields.

I have no intention of removing the shields on the car with cats. The underhood temp is still considerably hotter in the car with cats and shields. I forgot just how hot the sidesills get with cats in there....especially in parades and idling a long time in hot weather. Huge difference in heat all the way around.

As stated further up, I have 70,000 Belanger header miles and 6 years of use with no issues on the catless car. There probably aren't many Vipers out there with that kind of Belanger history under their belt.

I'm also running a few more RPMs on this car (more heat) with 3.45 gears. The heat shield car has a stock rear end....lower RPMs--less heat generated

Steve

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had bellangers installed last year. Based on Instructions with Belangers, tech left heat shields off. Based on this thread I'm starting to reconsider this decision. How difficult will it be to get my stock shields back on?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had bellangers installed last year. Based on Instructions with Belangers, tech left heat shields off. Based on this thread I'm starting to reconsider this decision. How difficult will it be to get my stock shields back on?

It's a chore...You have to remold the OEM shield to fit the Belangers and leave a gap between the shield and the header to allow for airflow. It's very doable but just a PITA due to the tight space around the headers. Wear gloves...those shields cut like razor blades. In hindsight, it may have been easier to mold the shields while the headers were uninstalled.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a chore... ...those shields cut like razor blades. In hindsight, it may have been easier to mold the shields while the headers were uninstalled.

Good point on "bench" forming those shields. I wonder if just some simple tubular spacers on the studs might address some of that reforming.

And exactly how many beers is "It's a chore..."?

:boozer::boozer::boozer::boozer::boozer::boozer:

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belangers w/o shields. No problems till I drove from Dallas to Vegas and was then stuck in traffic on the strip (July)... Smelt something burning, like electrical, pulled over, searched the entire engine compartment to find the bottom of the A/C fresh air box had a hole melted in in about 1"X1.5".

Mine were coated headers, I didn't have cats or mufflers (resonators only), on a 3" side-pipe conversion GTS and still had an issue.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point on "bench" forming those shields. I wonder if just some simple tubular spacers on the studs might address some of that reforming.

And exactly how many beers is "It's a chore..."?

I did mine in the heat of summer here last year... I think I went through a 12 pack that day. It was really humid. I was trying to be extra careful not to scratch the headers. Its not THAT bad. Tator says its a piece of cake.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so this thread made me curious and I went out and test fit the shields over my headers and they don't really fit at all.
I'm not sure how I'm going to keep them in place. I don't think the header bolts are long enough to go thru the shields and the header flange. Also, I can't get them to line up with the headers.
The shields rub on the headers, which my friend that works for HPC/Jethot says will void the warranty - keep this in mind those of you who have coated headers.
So I'm thinking of an alternative to the shields. I don't like the look of the shields at all :doh3:

:feedback:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OE bolts have extended studs for mounting the heat shields. You might investigate those.

Also, there might be the ability to put some tubular aluminum spacers on those studs moving the shields off the headers slightly. Would reduce the metal forming a bit maybe.

I'm still waiting for my exhaust to come in so the headers are sitting purdy in the house right now. I'll be an expert on all this shortly though. Soon as Lou gets done with the rest of my exhaust.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's an alternative, DC Performance carries them. Functional and purdy:

heatshield.jpg

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know the price but Dan can answer that for us. I do know that they're made by Alloy Racing Covers. You can find more information and more heat shield kits here: DodgeViper According to this site, they are $236/side.

Last edited:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but there is nothing pretty about them things. Looks like an HVAC Duct. But hey at least you won't have to worry about your car burning down.

Myself I prefer this.
2222ViperEngine.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness