Possible to adjust ride height with stock suspension?

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whoever had the car before me put eibachs on and the car sits WAY too low. It actually rubs the wheel well when turning. Hoping they just set something wrong and it is an easy fix. Before I left for my deployment it was bad but drivable, the springs were only on the car for 200 miles according to the previous owner when I bought the car. It seems like while I was gone the springs settled more and I lost about another half inch which makes the car barely drivable. Anything over a quarter turn and it rubs.

Anyone know how easy this would be to fix or know where to find instructions?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the shocks are stock, put back on the factory springs and caps- (its prob got lowering springs and lowering caps on it)

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eibachs dont sit that low. Something is bad wrong with your car. Either you have coilovers that are lowered all the way down or the previous owner heated the springs to lower it and they went to far. But I sure as hell wouldnt drive it till I figured out whats up.

OP
OP
D

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was afraid it would end up being bad. I don't have the stock springs / caps. I'll have to tear into it and see if it has coil overs or not. The stealership kinda bent me over on this deal. Window regulator lasted me less than a week, and now this is became an issue.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post pics if you cant figure out whats going on and Im sure someone here can help determine whats up. But I had eibachs and lowering caps on both my last vipers and NEVER rubbed when turning. ALso look at the springs and see if they have had a coil cut off one end. Look for shiny fresh cuts on the end of each coil. Cut or heated springs arent safe!!!

BTW if you have adjustable coilovers and dont want to mess with all the adjustments I will make the sacrifice and swap you my stock springs/shocks :D

Good Luck

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look and see what exactly you have on your car first and then go from there. Could be aftermarket caps and springs, could be bad settings on coilovers, or blown shocks. I have a complete stock suspension listed in the classifieds if you need them.

OP
OP
D

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take a look and see what exactly you have on your car first and then go from there. Could be aftermarket caps and springs, could be bad settings on coilovers, or blown shocks. I have a complete stock suspension listed in the classifieds if you need them.

Will the Gen 2 Konis work without any other mods on a Gen 3?

Reaction score
Does the car have larger wheels on it or the factory ones? like stated above a picture might help to see how low, springs do settle though and when coupled with lowering caps this is quite possibly what happened. I'm sure you could find someone to swap caps with you and if not let me know, I have some stock shocks I could swap off of.

Good luck

OP
OP
D

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
Front is definitely to low for stock shocks and rear is borderline. You will need to pull things apart to know what you really have there.

OP
OP
D

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It looks like it should have the clearance, I think a half inch would go a long ways right now. The backs seem kinda high though.

OP
OP
D

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Front is definitely to low for stock shocks and rear is borderline. You will need to pull things apart to know what you really have there.

Seemed really low to me, back doesn't seem too bad, but I'm new to Vipers, on my Mustang I have about the same gap for the back tires, but I also have a full suspension on there.

Reaction score
There should be about 1.25" for rake in the car front to rear measured at the frame where the contact patched of the tires intersect so using that guess from the picture the rake is right about on the car is just too low in the front.

Reaction score
If you had Motons or other coilovers that have shortened bodies to work lower then this would probably work, you would still be rubbing though.

OP
OP
D

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not entirely sure what else is on there, I'll have to tear into it once I'm off standby for work. My R&R should be kicking in after today and I'll be able to take it all apart. I'm forced to drive on it 1 more time since they won't let my other car on base due to smog. Luckily it is only a 5 minute drive. Rented close to base to give myself time to find the right house to buy.

OP
OP
D

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alright took a front wheel off to get a look, and fill the screw puncture ( temp fix, ordered 2 front PS/2s to replace the fronts )

This is what I found, not sure if this is stock. I gotta stop buying cars used.

Thanks so much for the help you've all given me. I know a decent amount about Mustangs, but Vipers are new to me, and there aren't many around, so hard to compare with others.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me, I'm local to you and I have stock SRT10 springs here you can have, it looks like you have cut down Eibach street springs on there

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somebody must have bought the Eibachs and then figured it was too much to buy caps so they pulled out the hacksaw and had at er, it looks like you still have the stock caps in there.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than that, the car looks pretty clean. Pictures look great, but car is pretty low for the real world.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Easy "rule of thumb" for Vipers.

Minimum safe ride height is about two fingers between the tire and the fender front, three fingers rear.

Front looks to low.

You can go lower of course at the track with adjustable shocks and stiffer springs, i.e. my 09 ACR is about 1.5 fingers front and two fingers rear, but my spring rates are 900 front, 1300 rear, with 2.5 degrees negative camber up front at rest. Front tires, 315 x 30 x 18's tuck up inside the fenders quite well on the track and don't rub at all.

Dan

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Easy "rule of thumb" for Vipers.

Minimum safe ride height is about two fingers between the tire and the fender front, three fingers rear.

Front looks to low.

You can go lower of course at the track with adjustable shocks and stiffer springs, i.e. my 09 ACR is about 1.5 fingers front and two fingers rear, but my spring rates are 900 front, 1300 rear, with 2.5 degrees negative camber up front at rest. Front tires, 315 x 30 x 18's tuck up inside the fenders quite well on the track and don't rub at all.

Dan

Humm "Minimum safe ride height" safe for what? Safe ground clearance? safe for rubbing issues? Personal safety? lol

I have maybe no finger clearance in the front and maybe 1 finger in the rear (jokes aside:rolaugh:) and although its not the best ride, I dont have any safety issues, and tires do not rub. Just curious what you mean by "Safe"

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTS-R---I agree with the stock caps and Eibachs on his car but how do you know they have been cut ? Just by seeing the ride height and knowing its a stock shock/cap with Eibachs, and no way it could be that low without cutting.??? Just wondering, Thanks

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Humm "Minimum safe ride height" safe for what? Safe ground clearance? safe for rubbing issues? Personal safety? lol

I have maybe no finger clearance in the front and maybe 1 finger in the rear (jokes aside:rolaugh:) and although its not the best ride, I dont have any safety issues, and tires do not rub. Just curious what you mean by "Safe"

ullose,

All of the above that you mention will happen if your car is too low.

If you hit most any semi-serious bump at even moderate speed with OE size tires, especially the rears, you will rub holes in the rear inner fender liners with your current clearance.

You will have a great deal of trouble driving up moderately sloped driveways without bottoming rubbing up front going in and you will hit the rear air fins when backing out.

.....and you will bottom on most speed bumps.