Post pictures of your 5/6 point Herness

Rednels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it true that harnesses are illegal on the street? If so, can you still use your regular seat belt with the harness installed?

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW.
I went to the local junk yard and cut some buckles from some dead Chrysler products. I keep them in the console then clip them in when I use the harness at the track. This is a very easy way to kill the seat belt light and tone.

Before you head to the junk yard make a dimensional sketch (or tracing) of the ACR buckles so you can match them. There's a large variety of buckles. I even had to touch mine with a grinder to make them fit but now they work perfrectly.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it true that harnesses are illegal on the street? If so, can you still use your regular seat belt with the harness installed?

Yes you can. Disconnect the 6 point shoulder belts, (which is easy) as you don't want them to dig in your back. The lap belts from the 6 point can be placed along side the seat and out of the way (I put the right side in the glove box), and the sub harness belts can go along side the seats and the buckling point can lay on the front floor under the floor mat.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They must be D.O.T. approved to be street legal. Most harnesses are not.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guy at work told me he had a car (not a Viper) that had harnesses where the shoulder belts had inertia-based passive spools so you could move around while street driving. Anyone offering that solution. I've ridden on the street in a car with harnesses and it sux not having passive mobility.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is it true that harnesses are illegal on the street? If so, can you still use your regular seat belt with the harness installed?[/quote]

YES and YES.

States with seatbelt laws refer to the Intertia-reel federalized belts.

So if you ONLY wear your race harnesses.....you may be in technical violation.

If course if you wear OE as well as Race harnesses, you are doubly-safe AND legal.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guy at work told me he had a car (not a Viper) that had harnesses where the shoulder belts had inertia-based passive spools so you could move around while street driving. Anyone offering that solution. I've ridden on the street in a car with harnesses and it sux not having passive mobility.

I strongly suspect that these may NOT be SFI-FIA-NHRA approved. ie may not pass tech inspections ? [Would want to know more before pronouncing it so........]

OP
OP
T

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to go with the Teamtechs, here is a picture of them installed.... A big thanks to JonB for getting them custom made for me with the small Team Tech logos on the lap belts (not shoulder belts).. and i got them very fast as well :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The DOT requirement is that seatbelts be "self-adjusting." Harnesses are not.

From some infrequent visits to the cockpit by NY's finest, this issue has never come up. They do look for whether the front plate is attached, but never whether the seat belt rolls up. I may just be lucky, too.

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Fireball, you can disable the seat belt alert program. On page 39 of the owners manual, there are instructions on how to do it. It's pretty easy. My ACR is now light and chime free. Thanks to vipernut94 for the heads up on this fix. :2tu:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed some ACR harnesses in my GTS last week.

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 26

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Fireball, you can disable the seat belt alert program. On page 39 of the owners manual, there are instructions on how to do it. It's pretty easy. My ACR is now light and chime free. Thanks to vipernut94 for the heads up on this fix. :2tu:

I'll take a look tonight. Thanks!

Greg