Powder Coaters... Making a list... Any to add?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've looked through some posts and am putting together a list of who can do my Gen 2 valve covers and intake. Any to add to this list? Looking for those that have experience with these parts, from those that have used them and have had good results.

So far I have:

TRG Coatings
They don't answer the phone or return calls, so I'm calling them useless even though they have been recommended here.

Viper Specialty Performance
Have been in contact with Dan.

Alan's Performance
Tried calling, strange phone error message. Sent email.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used TRG and Alan's. I'm still not completely satisfied with the valve covers. It's very tricky with these magnesium covers and certain colors don't come out as smooth as others. If you just want the red with clear lettering then it's pretty straightforward. But if you want other colors it may not turn out smooth. If I was to start all over I'd just paint them and be done with it. I've invested too much money already.

I've also used a local guy that's supposedly done Viper VC's before. It came out terrible. Of course he didn't guarantee anything so that was more money down the drain.

RogerDodger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sharp Custom Coatings in Tampa are highly regarded in this area. The owner, Marcus, is very personable and has a great work ethic.

I can't say if he has any Viper experience, however given the opportunity I am sure he would serve you very well.

Sharp Customs home

Good luck with your project.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
R&J Distributing offers the service as well. I'm sure someone on here has used them.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave there are many many powdercoaters in the DFW area. Why not just go with someone local?

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave there are many many powdercoaters in the DFW area. Why not just go with someone local?

HIT or MISS. You know, the front lobby showrooms always look great syndrome. :confused: I would rather pay to ship them to someone that does high performance/exotic car stuff routinely, or as a bonus, has their own Viper too. I know they're out there, just taking the time to put a list together and do some homework.

If you can add to the list, please do so. :2tu:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

I may have already sent you this but in case not:

Albert Dashto (Chicago area) 847 827 9932.

Sorry about the lighting in the intake shot but you get the idea. Valve covers smooth as silk, the intake is rougher because the casting is rougher.

Two years and lots of heat later they still look like new. If you want, tell me and I'll take an underhood pic this weekend.

5862Valve_Cover_-_close_up.jpg

Intake_Runners.jpg

Intake_-_side_shot.jpg

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a guy who once worked with the Cali Cartel that can supply you with some very high $$$$ powder. Don't skimp on the powder Dave!!

You must be registered for see images

V

Venomiss

Sent a PM with one more. Call them and see if they fit the criteria for the list.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Some secretarial/administrative stuff to get this coked up thread back on track. :rolleyes:

Viper Tested Coaters

TRG Coatings
Viper Specialty Performance
Alan's Performance
R&J Distributing (no more?)
JMB Performance, St. Louis
Albert Dashto, Chicago

Other Coaters

Action Powdercoat, NY
Sharp Custom Coatings, Tampa

There are at least 3 more that I have info on that I need to contact them and have a chit-chat with before I add them to this list.

Add some more if you know of any. And thanks for the contributions so far. :2tu:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just found out that Alan, AKA Alan's Performance, is in Thailand. Hence, the really strange phone error message. So he is still kicking, and he does check his email when abroad.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just found out that Alan, AKA Alan's Performance, is in Thailand. Hence, the really strange phone error message. So he is still kicking, and he does check his email when abroad.

For over two years I've tried to reach Alan, even on a Monday. I gave up and spent my money elsewhere.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They were actually one of the ones I had on my list to contact, and since have. The only problem with them so far is they want to coat over the logos on the valve covers. Meaning you can paint them later if you want, but I'm still working on someone that will mask them before shooting the powder. Really close on that deal.

As far as JMB Performance goes, their web site says don't call to just ask questions; email them. So I did, and they have not replied. Bad way to get new business, especially since I'm kind of reporting back on these things here.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm partial owner of a Powdercoat shop. I don't typically promote it to the Viperworld as I'm not active in the day to day and it's out of my area. We can do anything up to the size of your entire Viper.

If there is an interest shoot me a PM.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were actually one of the ones I had on my list to contact, and since have. The only problem with them so far is they want to coat over the logos on the valve covers. Meaning you can paint them later if you want, but I'm still working on someone that will mask them before shooting the powder. Really close on that deal.

Dave, if you mask the logos on the valve covers prior to power coating, is your intention to keep the logos the way they are or paint them a different color? If I had my covers done, I would either paint the logos a different color or have them shoot clear over them. Would spraying clear coat on the logos keep them from oxidizing?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's almost impossible to coat them a different color. The powder isn't like paint and you will get a ragged edge. At least that's what I was told. If it's possible I would really like to see one.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's almost impossible to coat them a different color. The powder isn't like paint and you will get a ragged edge. At least that's what I was told. If it's possible I would really like to see one.

Is there anything wrong with powder-coating the entire cover and then going back and painting the logos a different color before clear coating?

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The process will be to mask the logos before applying the powder, then pulling the masking and then a clear powder coat.

I suppose you could apply an intermediate wet paint step to have the logos an additional color from the base color, but that paint would have to be heat resistant and compatible with the clear powder.

It would be possible to have a second powder step for the 2 colors. Shoot and bake the logo color, then mask the logos and shoot the base color over it. Assuming the masking did not melt into the first coat of powder, it will certainly leave a good ridge when peeled to reveal the logos. That would require another step to knock down that ridge.

It's looking like I'm going to go with viperv10. $300 for the intake and the valve covers. Stripping, masking the logos for bare metal look, and then clear coat. The intake will of course have the ribs bare, but you just wipe those with your finger or so before baking. He described the entire process he uses to me and I was impressed. I'll be the Guinea Pig if needed!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The process will be to mask the logos before applying the powder, then pulling the masking and then a clear powder coat.

I suppose you could apply an intermediate wet paint step to have the logos an additional color from the base color, but that paint would have to be heat resistant and compatible with the clear powder.

It would be possible to have a second powder step for the 2 colors. Shoot and bake the logo color, then mask the logos and shoot the base color over it. Assuming the masking did not melt into the first coat of powder, it will certainly leave a good ridge when peeled to reveal the logos. That would require another step to knock down that ridge.

It's looking like I'm going to go with viperv10. $300 for the intake and the valve covers. Stripping, masking the logos for bare metal look, and then clear coat. The intake will of course have the ribs bare, but you just wipe those with your finger or so before baking. He described the entire process he uses to me and I was impressed. I'll be the Guinea Pig if needed!

Yes, please be the guinea pig. I was thinking about using him as well. Please post pics of results.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being the technical guy that I am, and asking all the questions that I do, an interesting development yesterday.

First off, when I contacted Dan at Viper Specialty to discuss what he can do, he was adamant that any coating removal be by soda blast, not aluminum oxide blast. I did not ask why, as I trust Dan.

When I talked to Joseph - viperv10 - he said his stripping process is an ultrasonic bath followed by the oxide blast as needed. I asked him about the point that Dan made, and no real ideas to need to do anything different came about.

So yesterday I get a phone call from a very well liked and respected vendor at this site (he did not want to post his comments) and the entire gist was DO NOT abrasive blast your intake. You'll never get all of the grit out even with the best masking in the world, and guess where all the grit goes from there? So now what Dan at V'Spec said makes sense. After the soda blast, you wash the intake in water and bingo ("****" to Tom), no blasting residue.

You might ask now why I just don't have Dan at V'Spec do my parts for me. He prefers the darker hammertone type colors that hide defects better. I want bright ass Viper red. So my mission here has been to find someone that is comfortable with the red and the defect problems (gassing), and will also mask the logos on the valve covers. This has actually been more difficult than it seems to find that person.

Anyway, Joseph - viperv10 - offered a great price - $300 - to strip and coat the intake and valve covers. We have some soda blast outfits here in the Fort Worth area that I'm going to contact Monday to see if they can strip the intake. That may be the route I'll take.

Finally, I did hear back from JMB Performance. Their price was like $525 or so for the 3 pieces. I have not been in further touch with them to discuss their stripping process, although they did clarify they work well with the valves covers as far as defect management goes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte