power steering pump let go

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Took the Viper out for a nice Sunday drive today. I went to make a turn and steering was very stiff...........I had lost all power steering, but was still able to muscle it through a turn without hitting anything. I can tell you it was quite a surprise though. Luckily I was only a couple of miles from home and was able to nurse it back. When I got home, I popped the hood to see what was going on, and to my surprise there was power steering fluid all over my engine and hood, and the cap still ON tight! I think the seal on the pulley shaft let go, thus spraying fluid all over the place. (Visions of fire started dancing through my head, but no fire here). Anyone else have or heard of this problem? I guess it is time for a trip the the dreaded dealership, but luckily I purchased an extended warranty from Chuck Tator, I just wish I lived near him.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the hi pressure hose, it's the one closest to the header. Fill the pump, start the motor and have somebody turn the wheel to lock. You'll see the fluid shoot out of the hose if it's bad.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah what Chuck said.

Also, that pump is the same as in a Jeep Cherokee. cost $125 vs $400 for one with the 'V' suffix. You will need to swap the resevoir out. For $275 I think the 20 minutes it takes to swap them is worth it.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah what Chuck said.

Also, that pump is the same as in a Jeep Cherokee. cost $125 vs $400 for one with the 'V' suffix. You will need to swap the resevoir out. For $275 I think the 20 minutes it takes to swap them is worth it.
This requires pictures please, and maybe put in the illustrated upgrades section.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine blew up too. Wasnt the hose, it was the pump seal, just like Blue Pilot thought...

You are lucky the PS fluid didnt catch fire on the headers!

If your under warr, have them replace the whole assembly. Thats what they did for me.

OP
OP
B

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Went to get the Viper back today from the dealership with a bonus; three deep scratches in both stripes on the front bumper. I demanded that they repaint it, which they finally agreed to do...........unbelievable.
On to the power steering pump, the gear shaft inside the pump broke into two pieces. They replaced the whole assembly.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky! The local Dodge shop here cracked my hood and blaimed me for it! The balls they have. I called the person responsible that supposedly did the oil change (a long time ago under warranty) and he showed me how he closed the hood, and to my surprise, he closed it in a way that would crack the hood. I comfronted him, showed and explained the proper way to close it, he still denies any wrong doing, so I was stuck with a cracked hood. Don't ever go to Plaza Dodge in Holiday, Florida, they are thieves and liars there.