POWERSTAR Plugs...anybody using them?

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

Flat Earth Society......?

Not so...these babies really light up the fuel...no doubt.
Its not for economy but Hp and torque...
Nobody has tried them eh?
Think of it this way...folks spend BIG BUCKS on wires to get a strong spark to the pugs and then? 50 Watt max output...these are 1,000,000 Watts. Yes, ONE MILLION.
These guys are getting every tech award worth winning in 2006.

Last edited by a moderator:

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your plugs are firing under boost(as would be expected with low boost) and not suffering blowout, then your ignition system is working as it should be. All the sparkplug does is ignite the mixture - you can't ignite it more. Once the mixture is lit, chamber design, compression ratio, and other variables determine how the mixture burns, not the amount of watts a plug puts out.

The air-fuel mixture formed in the combustion chamber is ignited by the spark plug to cause combustion by flame propagation, then successively making the remaining preliminary air-fuel mixture burn by self-ignition .

The company selling these plugs are the only ones who use watts as a measure of spark plug quality - none of the other companies who have been in the business for over a hundred years (Bosch,Champion) and have a huge R&D staff/budgets do this. If these plugs were so great, don't you think Top Fuel and NASCAR teams would be running them?

The folks spending "big-bucks" on fancy plug wires aren't getting any more power out of their stock engines than those using the factory wires. The main benefit of the premium wires is their thicker insulation for protection from heat damage and durability. With many newer cars using coil-on-plug ignition, even the much-touted "resistance" of plug wires is a moot point as the wires are less than 6in. long.

Remember Split-Fire plugs? Scam and class-action lawsuit were the results of their bogus claims.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

"The air-fuel mixture formed in the combustion chamber is ignited by the spark plug to cause combustion by flame propagation, then successively making the remaining preliminary air-fuel mixture burn by self-ignition . "

That makes sense to me...

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Yankee, upon re-reading my post, I hope I didn't come off as a d!ck in response to your original post - it was obviously not intended.:2tu:

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

Chimazo, never crossed my mind, very helpful.

99,,,,$25 a plug..

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking forward to the detailed "How To Install $250 Plugs" writeup soon. :D

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

It's getting more interesting....

They recognize supercharged, turbo engines and nitrous feeds...

https://www.pulstarplug.com/directhits.cfm

Seems to me we should be able to get the spark plug to be 14" long...spark plug envy.
Now they are up to $30 a plug...

Last edited by a moderator:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey DY, if you volunteer your engine in order to 'test' these new plugs, I'll send you $5 to get you started. :eater:

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

They work perfectly....

You must be registered for see images

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, let's assume that the claims are correct. 1M Watts in 2 billionths of a second vs. 50W in 30 millionths of a second. So what? All we are doing with the plugs is ignite the fuel / air mixture to achieve a controlled burn. But, the burn is very carefully timed to the valve train, injectors, etc. Assuming that we change that timing by changing the burn characteristics, wouldn't we need to re-engineer the whole system? If so, then if these work, when you install them on an unmodified engine, wouldn't they cause damage?

Just my thoughts after 2 glasses of wine on Saturday night. :) Now I'm on to the "wasted energy" claim.... Wouldn't that energy only be from the battery? Not anything that would really affect performance... Just thinking.

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

Ah, a thinking man! No, iginition is occuring at the right stage and timing, just more power at the right time. Aside from the typical flat earth society rebutals, there is the effect of flame front expansion. THink of this simply as the two spark plug school of ignition theory...

From an earlier thread, though I wasn't addressing this topic...see, tuning section "Detonation etc."

Typical flame front speeds for a gasoline/air mixture are on the order of 40 to 50 cm/s (centimeters per second), which is very slow compared to the speed of sound, which is on the order of 300 m/s. In actuality, the true speed of the outwards propagating flame front is considerably higher due to the turbulence of the mixture. Basically, the "flame" is carried outwards by all the little eddies, swirls and flow patterns of the turbulence resident in the air-fuel mix. This model of combustion is called the "eddy burning model" (Blizzard & Keck, 1974).

Additionally, the genus of the flame front surface - that is the degree of 'wrinkling' - which usually has a fractal nature (you know, those weird, seemingly random yet oddly patterned computer drawings), is increased greatly by turbulence, which leads to an increased surface area of the flame front. This increase in surface area is then able to burn more mixture since more mixture is exposed to the larger flame front surface (BINGO, ring the bell and jump up and down). This model of combustion is called the "fractal burning model" (Goudin, F.C. et al. 1987, Abraham et al. 1985). The effects of this are observed in so-called "Schlieren pictures," which are high-speed photographs taken though a quartz window of a specially modified combustion chamber.

Schlieren pictures show the various stages of the combustion process, in particular the highly wrinkled and turbulent nature of the flame front propagation (initially called the flame 'kernel'). A higher degree of turbulence, and hence a higher "effective" flame front propagation velocity can be achieved with a so-called squish band combustion chamber design.

Sometimes a swirl-type of induction process, in which the incoming mixture is rotating quickly, will achieve the same goal of increasing the burn rate of the mixture. (here is where the new plug design "could" excell.) As a general rule-of-thumb the pressure rise in the combustion chamber during the combustion phase is typically 20-30 PSI per degree of crankshaft rotation. Once the pressure rises faster than about 35 PSI/degree, the engine will run very roughly due to the mechanical vibration of the engine components caused by too great of a pressure rise. Sometimes, the pressure wave can be strong enough to cause a self ignition of the fuel, where free radicals (e.g. hydroxyl or other molecules with similar open O-H chains) in the fuel promote this self ignition by the pressure wave. However, this can still occur even without the presence of free radicals; it just won't be quite as likely to happen. This is why high octane fuels, with fewer of these active radicals, can resist detonation better. However, even high octane fuel can detonate - not because of too many free radicals - but because the drastic increase in cylinder pressure has increased the local temperature (and molecular speed) so high that it has reached the ignition temperature of the fuel. (this is where the new plug could fail..especially in a heavily modified engine). This ignition temperature is actually somewhat lower than that of the main hydrocarbon chain of the fuel itself because of the creation of additional radicals resulting from the break-up of the fuel's hydrocarbon chains in intermolecular collisions.

What this all means is that increasing the surface of the flame front can bring a sizeable increase in the efficiency of the burn. Theoretically, this could be a huge advantage...Having said that...I don't want to be the first to try it in a positive induction motor.

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just read on another forum about a test with them in a C5, he had problems with the ceramic insulator breaking.
Here is a copy of what he said:

You must be registered for see images
Pulstar Plugs
Well for those that remember. I convinced the makers of pulstar plugs to send me a free set. For my car that comes to $200.00 worth of plugs.. These plugs were suppose to crank up the spark.. increase compression and power..

I worked out a time to borrow the dyno at dynosport to run some test. What i had in my car going to the dyno were all Acdelco uraniums with about 4,000 miles on them.. THey are 100,000 mle plugs so i figured they were still good... at this point its giving the pulstars the advantage.. Well after doing some averaging.. it was concluded the pulstars increased power by 1hp and lost 1tq at the wheels over my used Acdelcos. I left them in to see if it would increase fuel econ. At first it seemed like i gained a couple mpg in town.. but after a few weeks that tappered off. I assume the difference wasn't the plugs but possibly gas/driving/enviroment and all the lil maintance i did before going like cleaning my maf.

Long story short.. they dont' work atleast not as advertised.. All the cars they test are stock... My car is no where near stock.. however considering the method they are suppose to work... there should be equal improvement on my car over a stock...

Welll it gets better. My car started acting up after the first snow storm... I kept thinking it was probably my 02's. They needed to be replaced but this didn't feel like 02s. although the rich smell and hte o2 codes said otherwise..

Well to get to my o2's i have to lower my headers. NOT an easy task... because of the way they drop i have to remove my sparkplugs... which means remove the pulstars... the first one came out just fine... looked just fine (color of the plug thats in the head) but that was the last one that came out that way.. every other one came out breaking... the ceramic coating that is... one was broken before i even put the socket over it. i had a hard time getting my socket over it.. because of the ceramic piieces laying underneither the plug on the head... so after strugglling for about 5 mins with it i finally go it off and it came out in peices.. just the top half everything inside the head was ok.. but this was obviously my problem.. So long story short they dont' work and are piles of ****.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why bother with a gimmick, just get an MSD box and then you will have something that actually does something for your money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang