PRICES.. GTS's... will the SRTs drop below?

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PRICES.. GTS\'s... will the SRTs drop below?

Thinking about picking up another GTS... anyways, I have been looking around and there isnt much at all below 45k let alone 50k. 3 years ago when I bought my first it wasnt hard to find quite a few under 40k!!!

The SRT prices however seem to keep falling...

Is it crazy to guess the GTS price will exceed SRT prices in near time?

Yeah yeah I am crazy... but look at the way the price tags are trending, I was surprised-

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: PRICES.. GTS\'s... will the SRTs drop below?

actually when the new coupe hits the streets i have a feeling that GTS prices will drop. there has not been a coupe made in 3 model years and when a fresh supply starts to hit the streets with a lighter car, more horsepower and much much better brakes i think you will see a further drop in price on the GTS. IMHO

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The GTS prices are very close to the bottom of their pricing-life, if for no other reason than the parts are worth that much. Most people who want GTSs don't want SRTs, so I don't see how that would affect pricing. They are completely different cars. I don't want a new SRT coupe at all. I like curves and I don't care about Johhny come lately. Just another used coupe 2 years down the road.

Like it or not, they are making SRTs & they are not making GTS any more. Parts for one, no parts for the other.

Plus, I think for the most part, the folks that have GTSs now are in for the long haul & aren't swapping them around as much as you may have seen 7 years ago. It's a different demographic.

If I wanted a BW 96 GTS today, how many are for sale in the entire country?

There's one at Premiere, 4 on Autotrader, and maybe 5 on the classifieds here. Some overlap between them I'm sure.

How do I get a bird's eye of all 8? How much would I spend just getting around to see them all? Airfare, hotels, vacation time, et al. I paid a $3k premium for mine because it was in my backyard & I didn't want to spend the money shopping cars all over the country.

That's another factor in all this.....where you are located.

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just an observation- The last 3 Vipers I have run across on the road have been SRT-10's. I dont see GTS's hardly ever. That in itself tells me a little bit. On another note, I'm still deciding between the two of them, but out of the 5 friends that I asked of their opinion of which one they liked better, it was 5 for the GTS.

Of course, I'm still undecided....but I have cash in hand....READY! lol

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just make sure whatever you get it has a warrentee transferable and still in effect. Take it from me, if you have any mechanical issues it is very expensive to fix stuff on a Viper, and very painful when it's out of pocket.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Almost cheaper to take a votech small engine building course & then learn to do it yourself. Then it's just parts. Expensive parts, but cheap labor.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love my GTS and do not see the day that I will sell it. I think that as it was said by BIG MEDICINE earlier that things are slowing down in the moving around of these cars.
It was said in a different post that some feel that this new coupe might be the last. I seem to agree with this view with the support and direction by DC. If this happens the last style coupe will be very desirable in time.

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Parts are expensive? Come on! It's a Dodge! Damn, I thought parts would be cheap.

It's OK, It's a dodge, and they dont break, so I'm not worried.

Actually,I have a 99 Dakota R/T, 44000 miles on it, sitting in my driveway with a blown motor, lost a piston on my 91 eagle talon, and blew my engine on my 86 Colt. I guess I just dont learn-

(of course the eagle was a mitsubishi, and I think the colt was too...)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any body part is very expensive. Example: The rocker panel door sill on my GTS was damaged. They are aluminum so it can be bent out and fixed by a body shop if the damage is not too severe.... Replacement cost? MSRP is $4350.00. Parts Rack cost $3250.00 for a new one. Yep, that thin little piece of aluminum sill covering the cats/exhaust. And then it has to be painted. You don't want to know what a fender or hood costs.

I recommend staying away from curbs... :ooo:

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I don't think prices on parts are too bad for these things.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree with Big M
I think the GTS price will perhaps dip temporarily when the Coupe is released, and therefore this would be the time to snap one up, whereas the SRT10 price will continue its lower overall trend and will end up eventually to be worth less than a GTS. The SRT10 is already the least desirable Viper so I don't see the new coupe helping that situation. I think the SRT10 is a great have fun car, just it's not a keeper.

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I placed pics of the 06 GTS and Z06 side by side. Disappointingly from many angles the two cars look very similar. The new Viper has to me lost some of its identity as an "in-your-face" brutish exotic sports car, and the coupe is no different. I wouldn't be surpised if the old GTS gains in popularity. The horsepower difference between the 2 coups is a non-issue since the previous GTS is so upgradeable to match or easily exceed the new stock GTS output.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Try porsche or ferrari parts prices you will be mind boggled, try 400$ a rotor for old ferraris! The dodge is a dream compared to them.

I have to Agree that GTS prices will remain stable, I bdoubt the new coupe will affect prices, its still an SRT, either you like em or you dont, there dosentr seem to be any in between. And if DC continues to mass produce them & inventories build up like the current srt 10's, then the prices will crash just like they are now. Face it, nothing looks like a GTS.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I want to buy a gts but am hoping for the prices to drop a bit :eek: . I'll be happy even if they don't (I'll have to wait longer) but at least I'll know not every tom dick and harry will have!

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the GTS prices will slowly creep up.
When I bought my SRT I knew it was (is) one of those 3 year cars.

My GTS is more permanent. Problem is it's been significantly modified for the track so I hardly ever take it on the street anymore.

So, I'm thinking of getting another GTS (B/W this time) and keeping it stock. Of course I'll keep the red one for the track too ;)

cobramadness

Viper Owner
Reaction score

When will the 06's be released?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Big M
I think the GTS price will perhaps dip temporarily when the Coupe is released, and therefore this would be the time to snap one up, whereas the SRT10 price will continue its lower overall trend and will end up eventually to be worth less than a GTS. The SRT10 is already the least desirable Viper so I don't see the new coupe helping that situation. I think the SRT10 is a great have fun car, just it's not a keeper.

You own a '96 R/T 10, and you're calling an SRT undesirable? Riiiiiight.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Big M

Yeah, that pretty much is what he was saying.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I tend to agree the GTS will not only hold it's current value, it will soon begin to slowly rise. I say this because it is quite simply an icon of it's generation. Also, due to it's rarity, we the owners can have a huge impact on what they sell for. As for the new coupe, it's nice..... but different, in a bad way. The 50hp difference is not much. From what I can tell, the SRT's are not getting much better times at the track.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SRT's are going to drop, I see them much more than Gen I&II's now.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Big M

Yeah, that's what I thought. He's an idiot.

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most of you guys are dead on with your opinions, I feel the GTS will remain the same and probably go up a little, I do not believe the new coupe will have any adverse effects on the GTS, The SRT/10 Coupe like the SRT/10 Vert is just the latest greatest thing to come out of DCX. They are just not the best all around IMHO.

Did the release of the SRT/10 Vert effect the selling price of the RT/10?,I do not have the facts, but would guess not, the RT/10 has a very strong following,and the following of the GTS grows every day it seems, I love mine and I am trying to take it with me when I die....No speed limits in Heaven I hear...

I am purchasing the 06 SRT/10 Coupe only because of the improvements over the GTS, and IMHO I believe this will be the last coupe DCX will produce...my 2c

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Interesting comments from the lone brain state...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think you guys are overly optimistic. GTS hitting the bottom. So what is the inherent value of a GTS versus a RT/10? RT/10 have had new Viper competition and look at their prices. 30's pretty much guaranteed for a 93-96. The GTS' start just 1 year newer.

BTW I thought the same thing about the RT/10 back a few years. Then the Gen I prices were in the low 40's. In just a few years it dropped by 30%. There are only so may potential customers of these cars. The new cars will bleed off some of the higher end (price wise). It is all about supply and demand and the supply will get a shot in the arm.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you just called a Gen 1 owner an idiot because he has a different opinion than you.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh no..here we go....the endless SRT/10 vs GTS/RT/10 debate...usually only takes about 6 posts to get to the name calling... :ooo:

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Big M

Yeah, that's what I thought. He's an idiot.

Carrot,
Not really, he (like me) probably likes the looks of the RT/10 over the SRT a lot more.

Andrew, that would be sweet if you get a viper to go along with the lambo.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

It's all about supply and demand. When the production switches over to SRT-10 Coupes, the SRT-10 convertibles will come right back in value, having been made for only 3 years, they may outpace the GTS in the not too distant future.

I bought my SRT-10 new and will probably keep it. I bought my GTS just 6 - 8 months ago and I looked for a year before buying. I got a good clean used one and plan to keep it.

Both are very nice cars, the SRT-10 is the ultimate convertible. The GTS is a very classic, rare race car.

I like them both and may add a SRT-10 coupe in the future if DC makes the necessary changes - too many to list.

Dan

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ha, I bought my 1995 RT/10 in May of 1995. So what did you say about me calling a Gen I owner. I think 10 years of ownership of one allows me to have a voice regarding them. And no I did not call myself an idiot, I just mentioned my own viewpoint. Having owned an RT/10 through the initial launch of the GTS I saw the price dip, then settle. when the SRT came out it dipped again (more that time as the demand group had a lot of overlap). It has now again settled. I just expect the GTS to do a similar act.

BTW I realize those here in the Gen I/II forum tend to think the SRT and RT/10 have separate ownership groups (and of course you have made it clear the SRT is the ugly duckling). But you are wrong. On both counts. I get more adult positive comments with the SRT, and less from the 10-16 year old crowd! Most SRT owners had or still have an RT/10. That may end up being true for the SRT coupe owners as well.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Looking at the numbers of Gen I and II that were manufactured, it's hard to escape the conclusion that they will be incredibly valuable in 10-15 years. SRT-10s are already in the fifties; but they will come up some in the future as well.
If you've got a minty blue and white GTS, you should really think about preserving it for your old age retirement fund... Any nice Gen II should bring half a million ten or fifteen years from now...
Just my .02.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte