PS 2

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it bother anyone that the new tires on the new car cannot be driven when the temperture is between 30 and 40 degree because as their glass-transition temperture-the point at which the rubber becomes dangerously hard-is 30-40 degrees.This is according to Motor trend,I am getting ready to order one but what about some feed back on the subject from people that know tires.Even those most do not drive their during the winter what do everyone think.This is on thier web site probably in their magizine also.30 and 40 is not what I call winter.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For me it is really not an issue. I would probably not take out the car anyway in those tempatures. Having said that, 30 to 40 degrees is not all that cold. I could see this becoming a problem....

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be testing that premise next month and until 11/1 or so. It is not at all unusual for us to drive in that temp in early spring / late fall.

Steve

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do they think, we are ALL stupid [well maybe some]? Anything below 40' YOU ARE NOT going to have much traction with high HP cars!:omg:

There is a lot to be said for "common sence"!:eater:

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got PS2's on my car and last night the temps got down into the 60's. There was noticeably (sp?) less traction then earlier in the day when it was about 80.

Definitley have to be careful in the Winter months.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got PS2's on my car and last night the temps got down into the 60's. There was noticeably (sp?) less traction then earlier in the day when it was about 80.

Definitley have to be careful in the Winter months.

Perhaps because your car makes more power in the cool, dense air.......

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it bother anyone that the new tires on the new car cannot be driven when the temperture is between 30 and 40 degree because as their glass-transition temperture-the point at which the rubber becomes dangerously hard-is 30-40 degrees.This is according to Motor trend,I am getting ready to order one but what about some feed back on the subject from people that know tires.Even those most do not drive their during the winter what do everyone think.This is on thier web site probably in their magizine also.30 and 40 is not what I call winter.
This is the first I have heard of this. I drive throught the winter as long as it's dry. Sure there's less traction, but never to the degree that the car "cannot be driven." Is there something completely unique to the PS2 rubber compund that renders ONLY this tire inoperable between 30 and 40 degrees? What happens below 30 degrees? Do the tires refuse to turn?

Can you post a link to this info. It seems a bit farfetched.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What do you care? We live in Alabama :D. It rarely gets below 50 degrees here :2tu:

OP
OP
T

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I care because I know some people live in places that does get this cold and it does get this cold in Alabama.But mainly because I want other viper member to know this.This might stop someone from wrecking and getting hurt.I know here in Montgomery it get to 30 and 40 every year so don't tell me it don't get that cold.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is the first I have heard of this. I drive throught the winter as long as it's dry. Sure there's less traction, but never to the degree that the car "cannot be driven." Is there something completely unique to the PS2 rubber compund that renders ONLY this tire inoperable between 30 and 40 degrees? What happens below 30 degrees? Do the tires refuse to turn?

Can you post a link to this info. It seems a bit farfetched.

Direct from Motortrend write up....

The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires cannot be used in the winter, as their glass-transition temperature-the point at which the rubber becomes dangerously hard-is 30-40 degrees. Winter or all-season rear tires to fit the rear wheels aren't readily available, but die-hard four-season snake-charmers can remove the parking-brake calipers to fit 18-inch rear wheels, for which appropriate tires are available, sized for the Porsche 911 Turbo.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Direct from Motortrend write up....

The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires cannot be used in the winter, as their glass-transition temperature-the point at which the rubber becomes dangerously hard-is 30-40 degrees. Winter or all-season rear tires to fit the rear wheels aren't readily available, but die-hard four-season snake-charmers can remove the parking-brake calipers to fit 18-inch rear wheels, for which appropriate tires are available, sized for the Porsche 911 Turbo.

Get on the tirerack website for more accurate info but I do recall that the concern with using so-called "max performance" summer tires is not only whether they are used on slick surfacxes such as ice but also whether they are used below a certain temperature range. A while back I remember the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ("all season") being made in the stock vioer sizes but I checked a while back and they were no longer made in the rear 345 size.

/Rich

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is an issue.

No matter where you live you could find yourself having to driver in -40 degree weather:-(

t i t o

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure the tires would be dangerous to drive on if they stayed at around 30-40 degrees. So would the regular Pilot Sports. But, given the fact that the tire temperatures increase as you start driving, the whole debate seems to be a moot point.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure the tires would be dangerous to drive on if they stayed at around 30-40 degrees. So would the regular Pilot Sports. But, given the fact that the tire temperatures increase as you start driving, the whole debate seems to be a moot point.

Not entirely sure; again, I would recommend getting on the TireRack website as there may be problems with the compound on these types of tires below certain temperature ranges even after the tires have been driven an extended period. Luke, what's your advice?

/Rich

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a strong possibility that Motor Trend has assumed that these tires are of the same tread structure as the Sport Cups.

Believe they falsely alluded to this composition in their article.

Might wait a while before going highly judgmental on this post. Believe the street Viper PS2s will work well in colder climates.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a strong possibility that Motor Trend has assumed that these tires are of the same tread structure as the Sport Cups.

Believe they falsely alluded to this composition in their article.

Might wait a while before going highly judgmental on this post. Believe the street Viper PS2s will work well in colder climates.

Paul -- agreed but actually my reservations were even assuming that the Viper PS2 tires do not share the same R-compound as the sport cups. I believe the Tire Rack article I am recalling regarding the use of summer tires in freezing or even above freezing temps (even in dry conditions) applied to so-called "max performamce" summer tires such as the PS2, Goodyear F1, Bridgestone Potenza series, etc.

Again, I would love it Luke P. at TireRack would chime in.

/Rich

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This isnt a big deal....... Its a sports car. Wasnt designed to be a snowmobile. Anyways, this isnt first or last time a situation like this will arise. I work at a Volvo dealer and we have a AWD turbo sport car, the S60R. The 18" wheel package comes with Pirelli Roso tire. There is a big warning label when car is sold by window sticker, it read something like.... "This tire not designed for winter use, this is a max performance summer tire, etc, etc, if you wish to use in snow or cold climate conditions, you will need a optional tire/wheel package"

So big deal,next someone is going to complain that the Viper doesnt come in a 4 door.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't believe that they still haven't made a 4 door Viper yet. What is Dodge waiting for????????:dunno:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its hard for me to believe Chrysler/Dodge would make a car that is almost undrivable at 40 deg. The liability would be too great to do something like that, and in addition, you create a real problem for 1/2 the country who live in colder climates.

It seems unimaginable that would have made it past the lawyers and engineers.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep,

Tires will warm up as you drive.

PS2's are not "R" compound tires.

I'm guessing they'll be fine if the driver uses good sense while driving. They are Max Performance Summer Tires and really shouldn't be used in super cold, ice or snow.

Dan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4