Question for 08 hood owners

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you switched your 03-06 hood to the 2008 OEM hood, was there any fitting/preparing necessary before paint? My body guy is under the impression this will be like any other aftermarket hood and will require alot of work to make it fit...I'm just more or less double checking:drive:

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ryan I can't comment on the Dodge hoods but the hood I had on my old car needing nothing but paint so not all of them need a ton of work to make fit.

Good luck I need to call Steve and get my carbon one from Vip Air.:2tu:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put on a 2008 OEM hood. It did not require any fitting. It was very easy to put on. Make sure he installs the grounds in the right places and that you have the plastic retainers to do so.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan, I agree with Bobpantax, the hood is very easy to put on the vehicle. The paint prep work was very minimal. I did find out the hard way that the oem hood doesn't come with any vents, hood pad, grounds or water deflector( it's all extra in cost). Good Luck!

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put my hood on with the help of my wife. It fits that well and that easy. 4 bolts and two ground wires with the pad. Change it out and adjusted in less than 1/2 hour. It's so easy a Caveman could do it:rolaugh: heheh Couldnt resist. If you buy and OEM hood and get it painted it should line up perfectly. Be sure to buy the little pad that adhears to it in the back near the wiper cow or the hood will raise when you go above 130mph:D. That little stick on pad serves a purpose;)

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you switched your 03-06 hood to the 2008 OEM hood, was there any fitting/preparing necessary before paint? My body guy is under the impression this will be like any other aftermarket hood and will require alot of work to make it fit...I'm just more or less double checking:drive:

I would find another body shop as this person has no experience with Vipers. All body panels are painted individually prior to installation onto the vehicle. There should be no installation of an unfinished OE hood onto the vehicle. There should also be no blending or feathering of paint onto adjacent panels. If so, any evidence of this (overspray, etc.) will destroy its integrity and ultimately, may affect the value of your Viper.

In summary, the fitment of the hood should take place after painting. The lines or gaps can be adjusted to your satisfaction. Remember, this is a hand assembled vehicle.

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hood never saw my Viper before being painted. It fit perfectly, just like any OEM hood should.