Question on ACR-X Oil Separator

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does any know why the tubes running to the oil separator in the ACR-X come out of the middle of the valve covers versus the existing end openings (which are plugged in the below Pic)?....I ask because I am considering installing one (when Mark J finds one).

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
A

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boxer...thks will contact them...

Redsled: Quote: Boxer-the "oil seperator" is a catch can correct" yes same thing, but what I like about this one it has a breather eliminating any need to exit the can/separator into the intake manifold.....

vdogg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the ignorance, but what function does this device perform? Thanks.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the ignorance, but what function does this device perform? Thanks.
See the thread about piston damage in the Grailkeeper section for a detailed discussion. Short version, keeps oil out of combustion cyl (which causes detonation and poss destruction of piston...)

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Boxer...thks will contact them...

Redsled: Quote: Boxer-the "oil seperator" is a catch can correct" yes same thing, but what I like about this one it has a breather eliminating any need to exit the can/separator into the intake manifold.....

Not the same thing. A catch can is just one chamber that will spill oil out of the breather where a oil seperator has an extra area in the can to get the oil to drop out.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the same thing. A catch can is just one chamber that will spill oil out of the breather where a oil seperator has an extra area in the can to get the oil to drop out.

...the seperator is generally used in-line to maintain vacuum or draw out excess crankcase pressure. Don't know about GenIII/IV, but on my GenII I did a seperator to keep the oil vapors out of the intake but maintain vacuum to the crankcase, hence the line returning from the seperator back to the intake. http://forums.viperclub.org/illustrated-upgrades/641305-my-genii-ccv-air-oil-seperator.html

If one doesn't require a seperator, a simple catch can with a breather will do.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...the seperator is generally used in-line to maintain vacuum or draw out excess crankcase pressure. Don't know about GenIII/IV, but on my GenII I did a seperator to keep the oil vapors out of the intake but maintain vacuum to the crankcase, hence the line returning from the seperator back to the intake. http://forums.viperclub.org/illustrated-upgrades/641305-my-genii-ccv-air-oil-seperator.html

If one doesn't require a seperator, a simple catch can with a breather will do.

I did the same. the seperator a "tube in tube" design with a bunch of fine wire mesh at top.

I didnt want even the slighest amount of contaminative crankcase fumes to re circulate to the intake so i vented the seperator to atmosphere.

Im sure intake vacuum applied to the seperator would further draw crankcse pressure but i still hope crankcase pressure can relief enough by venting to the outside air.

[media]http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z387/dipapa/Viper%20Copperhead/catchcan.jpg[/media]

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice set-up Dippa, but where is the hose at the top of the can going, is the vent just to the right of the air filter, I see a little breather? Is there a drain valve on the bottom of the can as well? Whose set-up is this?

BTW Your engine bay and motor look awesome!!!

Last edited:

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I did the same. the seperator a "tube in tube" design with a bunch of fine wire mesh at top.

I didnt want even the slighest amount of contaminative crankcase fumes to re circulate to the intake so i vented the seperator to atmosphere.

Im sure intake vacuum applied to the seperator would further draw crankcse pressure but i still hope crankcase pressure can relief enough by venting to the outside air.

[media]http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z387/dipapa/Viper%20Copperhead/catchcan.jpg[/media]

What brand did you use?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very nice! Where does that the hose on top of the can vent to? Bottom of the Viper? I like this setup a lot.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice set-up Dippa, but where is the hose at the top of the can going, is the vent just to the right of the air filter, I see a little breather? Is there a drain valve on the bottom of the can as well? Whose set-up is this?

BTW Your engine bay and motor look awesome!!!

Yes there is a valve on seperator bottom.

The little breather was just to fill the K&N housing return port for the crankcase. The line exiting the top of seperator was suppose to go into that K&N port. I rather just vent the seperator to bottom of car.

Reaction score
Art,

The valve covers are redone to pick up the oil vapors from the center upper portion of the valve covers because most of the original problem when on track comes from braking and acceleration which pushes the oil trapped from high RPM in the upper part of the engine straight into the PCV system. By changing the location you eliminate this surge of oil and deal with actual vapor rather then a flood of fluid.

You can use another system that attach's to the regular openings in the valve covers, but it will not be as efficient or effective as the system SRT has gone with. I should have the SRT system ready to go in a couple weeks. They have been slow at getting the lines and hardware packaged for shipping, they have also not come to a decision on the pricing. I have been trying to insure that the price is in line with some of the other options (other than the valve cover mods) so we'll see soon if that is helping.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completed and ready to ship Monday.

You must be registered for see images attach

Very cool. I wish I had an ACR to install this on. :D This looks like one of Peterson's stock catch cans. Is it really a seperator meaning does it route back to the engine or simply catch from the valve covers? Thanks.

Reaction score
It does not route back to the intake, and these were built to size specs for the ACR so I don't think they offer it as a stock unit configured to drop right in. The fittings are all angled where they need to be not generic. May not mean everything, but makes the install clean and neat. Hoses are very light weight material also with nice aluminum ends.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to try a Mann Provent 200, I use it on my Ford GT, it's a true oil separator

Reaction score
The whole idea of the ACRX system is that with the re located pickup points on the valve cover and modification of the internal baffle plate that there will be nothing but vapor to "separate" and since it does not flow back to the intake that would not be needed. There should never be any real accumulation in the can as there would be in a separator system that routes back.

You may want to try a Mann Provent 200, I use it on my Ford GT, it's a true oil separator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang