Question on stock shocks

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried searching and couldn't find answers.

I have what I believe are stock shocks with Eibach lowering springs on my 97 GTS.

At the top of the shock tower I have the aluminum "Koni" sleeve and blue shock absorbers. On the shock I notice that it says "adjustable" on the shock housing but I see no way of adjusting them.

Are they truly adjustable? Adjustable as in dampening effect or adjustable in ride height? And if they are truly adjustable, how do I adjust them? :dunno:

Reaction score
These are not height adjustable and if there is an adjustment to be made it is rebound only. Most of the time you must remove the shock and spring to make the adjustment. When the shock is out you hold it as if looking at it from under the car. compress it all the way and then turn left for softer and right for stiffer rebound adjustment. Not the easiest thing to do but is an option.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a ignorant question. I installed my Eibach's tonight, my question is the Koni's only change adjustment if fully compressed correct? Because I know I spun atleast one of two of the heads during install. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Steve

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a ignorant question. I installed my Eibach's tonight, my question is the Koni's only change adjustment if fully compressed correct? Because I know I spun atleast one of two of the heads during install. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Steve

Yes, fully compressed. You need to push the piston down and keep pressure on it while you make 1/2 turn adjustments.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You even have to remove the rubber bump stop on the shaft to make the adjustment. Without removing the bump stop, you cannot compress it enough to engage the teeth to make the adjustment.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
NOTE: Since the coilover must be removed to install the springs, dont pass up this opportunity to adjust the rebound if you are an Auto-Xer, track-enthusiast, or just toss the car in twisties...Those installing EIBACHS have an EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY to adjust from the full-soft factory setting of Gen 1-2 shocks.

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any ill effects to the stock struts with lowering the car this way? Or can you just swap springs and go? How does it affect the ride?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery