Questions about the 2008 Viper

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've noticed a few minor things that are different on my 08, compared to my 06.

When I start the engine, the volt meter takes 4 or 5 seconds to sweep over to 14 volts and for the red LED to go out. On my 06, it only took maybe 2 seconds.

Also, looking at the 08 in a completely dark garage, I can see the security light (in front of the rear view mirror) illuminated very faintly. I never observed this on the 06.

Lastly, the security light blinks once every few minutes on the 08, even with the doors and/or hood opened. My 06 wouldn't blink at all, unless I set the alarm of course. When setting the alarm, it blinks as normal, once every 10 seconds or so.

These are very subtle differences I know, but has anyone else noticed anything like this?

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No difference on the volt gauge , But the same on the alarm, Light flashes with the hood or doors open, If you try to start it, Mine you have to hit the unlock on the fob or it will start and then stall right away.:D

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed the same voltmeter delay on my 08.The alarm indicator light will flash rapidly for about 15 flashes and then every 5-6 seconds when alarm is set.If alarm is not set it flashes,if I'm correct,twice every 15 seconds. In addition Canadian cars have a special immobilizer not installed on US vehicles which,according to the adendum with the manual,only allows you 60 seconds to start the vehicle once the unlock button is pressed on the fob.If not started,the immobilizer passively rearms until you once again press the unlock button which gives you another 60 seconds.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I start the engine, the volt meter takes 4 or 5 seconds to sweep over to 14 volts and for the red LED to go out. On my 06, it only took maybe 2 seconds.

Same thing here, and one of the first differences I noticed. I never recall seeing the red light illuminate on the battery gauge of my 2006 - not even when the battery went bad :omg:

On the '08, the red light always comes on and goes out after a few seconds. Looks like some improvement was made - possibly the warning light is more useful now and maybe stays on when the battery is going bad... Let's see what happens. These stock batteries will die sooner or later :D

Peter

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't noticed the voltmeter or the LED light, will look into that one.
The security light is NOT illuminated at all.
Haven't had the doors/hood opened long enough to see if the security light blinks still.
I know that between this and the '05...at first we thought the '05 PULLED stronger, but we were wrong...the more we drive the '08, the stronger it pulls. MUCH better clutch/easier shifts.
Our only problem was the idle-stall problem I've written to the GrailKeeper/Herb about...we'll keep an eye on that one.
So, it seems that the things you've noticed about your '08 ACR are minor items, thankfully?
~~juli

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sit in a completely dark garage and look at your 08 Viper? Damn, you're my hero!! You got it worse than I do. We are not worthy!!

Bo

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I first noticed that the alarm light was much brighter and on the rear view mirror when I picked up my car at Tators at night. Pretty cool.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing here, and one of the first differences I noticed. I never recall seeing the red light illuminate on the battery gauge of my 2006 - not even when the battery went bad :omg:

On the '08, the red light always comes on and goes out after a few seconds. Looks like some improvement was made - possibly the warning light is more useful now and maybe stays on when the battery is going bad... Let's see what happens. These stock batteries will die sooner or later :D

Peter

just for the heck of it i checked my voltmeter today .... well on mine the charge never goes past 12v and the warning light stays on and this is with all the accesories(a/c etc) turned off.... it goes up to 14v when i start up the engine.....

OP
OP
toomanymodz

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you notice the latch to open the trunk?

I didn't... there is a latch? Speaking of which, when I press the rear hatch button on the key fob, the brake lights flash 3 times, but it doesn't unlock. I have to use the key and manually unlock it.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just for the heck of it i checked my voltmeter today .... well on mine the charge never goes past 12v and the warning light stays on and this is with all the accesories(a/c etc) turned off.... it goes up to 14v when i start up the engine.....

Yes, same thing here! The warning light is on when the engine is off. (On the 2006 the light never came on).

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't... there is a latch? Speaking of which, when I press the rear hatch button on the key fob, the brake lights flash 3 times, but it doesn't unlock. I have to use the key and manually unlock it.

Set the parking brake - that should make the key fob button work...

boosted349

Viper Owner
Reaction score
this may sound crazy but i just noticed that there is a key lock under the dr side mirror on the door, did the 06 have that also. i never noticed that on my 06.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
The Voltmeter operation is quite a bit different than in the past... the charging system is controlled by the VENOM engine controller, and uses a different charging strategy than the JTEC did for GEN II and III. And yes, the alternator "idiot light" now bulb checks with the engine off and during the slower voltage ramp up. That run up was needed to ease the monster 180amp alternator into the loads.

The key hole in the drivers door has been there since 2003MY.

The rear deck on a coupe no longer has a "pop" spring, but it has a pressure pad to allow you to open in one motion. The pressure pad will not work with the engine running even if the car is unlocked unless the park brake is applied. This was intended to keep someone from fooling around at the back of the car if the car is free to move.

Convertibles work somewhat the same except they still have the "pop", but also won't pop if the engine is running (unless park brake is set).

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank God for the Viper Wizard! He remembers all this for me. LOL

Remember when these cars were simple?

(I now sound like my grandfather :D )