QUESTIONS concerning ramps to change oil

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It’s beautiful out today and since acquiring my car, I haven’t had the chance to change the oil and would like to do it myself (instead of taking it to the dealers). I have Rhino ramps that I used to change the oil on my C6 and I thought that it might be possible to drive the Viper right up there without any problem. Unfortunately that’s not the case. With the C6, the front air dams are made to flex, so it being bent isn’t something to be concern about. However, with the Viper, the front air dam is part of the front bumper and when I saw it bend, I quickly rolled off the ramp.

Without the use of a lift, is it possible to use the ramps and change oil? I found a couple of 1 inch ply wood and placed it in front of the ramps, but again, that didn’t help.

Anyone changed their oil with a Rhino ramps or any other ramps for that matter?

By the way, I did back the car up on the ramp, but the front was too low for me to slide under.

Thank you for any inputs or suggestions.

Oh, another thing, 10W-30 works for Gen 2 cars? I've seen 10W-30 and 0W-40 suggested before.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I built wood ramps per plans I found on this forum they were very cheap and worked great!Do a search for them, they make life easier w/o a lift

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I built wood ramps per plans I found on this forum they were very cheap and worked great!Do a search for them, they make life easier w/o a lift

I tried using the search, but it didn't really work.

On a side note, the Viper doesn't look all that bad underneath. :)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The easiest way to change oil on a Viper is to go the nearest quick Lube with your own fluids and filter, pay the guy the $10-$15 dollars they want, go in the pit with them, and do it yourself. Viper filters can be messy. Actually I let the Quick Lube guy take the old filter off and I do the rest. You also get to walk underneath the car to check out everything else...as opposed to shimmying around on a creeper or your back. Money well spent.

When I want to get the car up for any reason, I put a 2x6x8' board across the front end. Drive the front tires onto the board and you will have enough room to put almost any jack in behind the front tires and catch the frame member. Just lifting the front end that 1.5" allows jacking access at the rear tires as well. If you have the nifty Harbor Freight jack......you can lift the entire back end from the rear. The handle is long enough to work from behind the car.

The oil can be changed this way as well, you'll just need a couple of jacks stands for safety.

As for oil: Series 2000 0W-30 Amsoil the last 62,000 miles.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960