RaceLogic Traction Control

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am considering sending my car to woodhouse for a racelogic install. I am curious to hear from you guys who have them as to your experience and satisfaction with the results. I have searched but have not found too much here. I am assuming the unit will help me with two things. 1)Safety driving in rain or with supercharger in lower gears/high rpms. 2) Better(faster) launches off the line.

I would love to hear from you guys.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most people believe one of the biggest parts that makes a viper, a viper is that it doesn't have traction control and other electronic gizmo's. Thats probably why you couldn't find any information when you searched.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have it on my viper but, I do have it on my Vette but, when I drive it it's mostly in the off position. I did not care for it. I drove a charger at infinion raceway and it had traction control and I could actually feel it save my ass on a few occassions on the turn at the top of the track. I just wonder if a Viper is the right car for that application or even the vette. If you want faster off the line try Quaife always faster. Tires and gears. money can't but you love but, it can buy horsepower. Lots of it.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have traction control in my BMW and loved it before I got the Viper. It wasn't until I got the Viper and learned how to drive it (still learning) that I realized TC was a crutch for me. I now turn it off in my BMW but its not completely off. I think its not much of a safety feature and, in fact, can lead to more accidents but it compensates (to a degree) for a driver's stupidity but it can't fix stupid. Not saying you're stupid but the Viper makes you learn how to drive and control that horsepower and torque. Driving in the rain? Drive slower. Better/faster launches off the line? Practice. Even BMW shuts off DSC when performing launches in the M5/M6. If you do decide to install TC on your Viper, please share your experience with it. Good luck. - Tony

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you want better 'traction control' consider upgrading the stock rear to a Quaife. I did and couldn't be happier. You will get the benefits you want and without the electronic nanny downside. You can always add a racelogic system later but probably won't feel the need. The info below explains things in detail...

"The Quaife Differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one. With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheelspin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip (along the path of least resistance). The Quaife, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.
In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential (they don't call open diffs "peglegs" for nothing).
In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the Quaife biases power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.
The Quaife also controls loss of traction when the front wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. The Quaife Differential provides constant and infinitely variable drive. Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs.
The Quaife's unique design offers maximum traction, improves handling and steering, and puts the power where it is needed most. A definite advantage whether on the track or on the street.
The Quaife is extremely strong and durable and since the Quaife is gear operated, it has no plates or clutches that can wear out and need costly replacement.
You must be registered for see images

The Quaife is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that created unwanted understeer under power, or in the case of front-drive cars, even tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the car's limits.
The Quaife has been proven in everything from SCCA Rally to Formula 1. It provides autocrossers with such an advantage, it has become "required" equipment for a [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss]winning effort. --autotech"[/FONT]

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want better 'traction control' consider upgrading the stock rear to a Quaife. I did and couldn't be happier. You will get the benefits you want and without the electronic nanny downside. You can always add a racelogic system later but probably won't feel the need. The info below explains things in detail...

"The Quaife Differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one. With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheelspin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip (along the path of least resistance). The Quaife, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.
In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential (they don't call open diffs "peglegs" for nothing).
In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the Quaife biases power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.
The Quaife also controls loss of traction when the front wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. The Quaife Differential provides constant and infinitely variable drive. Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs.
The Quaife's unique design offers maximum traction, improves handling and steering, and puts the power where it is needed most. A definite advantage whether on the track or on the street.
The Quaife is extremely strong and durable and since the Quaife is gear operated, it has no plates or clutches that can wear out and need costly replacement.
You must be registered for see images

The Quaife is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that created unwanted understeer under power, or in the case of front-drive cars, even tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the car's limits.
The Quaife has been proven in everything from SCCA Rally to Formula 1. It provides autocrossers with such an advantage, it has become "required" equipment for a [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss]winning effort. --autotech"[/FONT]

This is the perfect mechanical rear end. Other rear ends I like are all female.:2tu:

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you get the Quaife in different gear ratios (i.e. 3.33, 3.55, 3.73)?

If someone was wanting to change their gear ratio anyway, would this be a viable option?

Thanks,
Justin

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you get the Quaife in different gear ratios (i.e. 3.33, 3.55, 3.73)?

If someone was wanting to change their gear ratio anyway, would this be a viable option?

Thanks,
Justin

Justin - most folks, not all, who have superchargers as you do either retain their stock 3.07 gears or go back to them.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A properly installed Racelogic system is not akin to discussing a system standard from the factory ( i.e. Vette, Mustang, BMW, etc. ). The traction control system's key benefit was designed for race cars ( hence that clever marketing name, Racelogic ). You can dial in the amount of slippage wanted, instead of having an on/off switch in the factory machines. So different amounts can be used on launch as well as dialing in the amount wanted on the track according to conditions present ( damp, sandy, hot, etc. ). Pretty amazing set - up and one used by many racing Vipers.

The Quaife is a great unit too, and we have many who are using both units together.

I would give Mark Jorgensen a call again and he can discuss whether you want one system or the other , or both. You may even elect not to do any, but the application from my personal experience, is the Racelogic works very well with the extra power of the Paxton applied to the tarmac.

Best of Luck.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Is it not possible to have the self control and the back-up of a TC system? Would a TC system automatically make you have less respect for the torque of the V10 or is there a chance that it might actually save/help out for that one time when you push the limits?

Bill Pemberton - it would be great to get more real world feedback from you on your thoughts and impressions.

The best part of owning a Viper is self controlling the power.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Though I have had a decent amount of time using the system , the guy that should be discussing the merits of practical application is Mark Jorgensen. Besides being a track instructor and having an outstanding rep as one of the best , top flight, autocross pilots in the Country, he has done a ton of testing in various conditions. I will let him know about this post and hopefully he can drop some helpful, everyday hints for all.:2tu:

1badasssrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definetely reccommend The Race Logic Traction Control!!! We had the unit installed on our 04 Super Charged Viper and will install it on our other stock Vipers also. The Race Logic system can be adjusted by 1% increments which allows you to have as much fun as you want, but when you want to put max power to the pavement you can dial it in and limit your tire slip. The system even has a launch mode for coming off the line! The system has performed flawless and is just a great babysitter. If you don't want it on, just turn it off. Oh ya, and the only one to talk to and install this product is Mark Jorgenson at Woodhouse.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it not possible to have the self control and the back-up of a TC system? Would a TC system automatically make you have less respect for the torque of the V10 or is there a chance that it might actually save/help out for that one time when you push the limits?

I think it right up there with abs. You hope you never need it but, if you do you'll be glad you have it.

Personally I shy away from after market products.

Doesn't the 08 have a rear dif that acts like a quaife & TC?

Reaction score
The 08' diff as good as it is is still no Quaife. The Quaife will give phenomenal grip in a lot of situations but the Racelogic will help in all of them. When we sell a RL system I try to explain to the customer that it is a helpful "tool" for learning how to drive on the edge. If you are doing it right you will be feeling the shallowest level of the 5 available "cuts of power". When people describe the reaction as abrupt and jerky this just means that they are blowing by the subtle cuts and not really "controlling the car with their right foot. That sounds easy and is for some owners but definitely not ALL owners.

The big and small teams in the Speed WCGT classes all use some form of TC and many of them are using our Racelogic. This is a big competitive arena and these guys are professionals that still "choose" to invest in the Racelogic to better the performance of the cars and themselves. That is what speaks volumes about a product. You won't hear the cars cutting out though when you watch because these "great drivers" are feeling the edge and not relying on the TC to save, but guide their control. I think that any Viper would benefit from this elective control feature and as Tim stated if you want to you can always turn it off for the burnouts and big slides!

Thanks, and please feel free to call me anytime with questions. As Bill alluded to I have a ton of in car experience with the system and have helped dozens of people with all kinds of toys to set up and learn to use the Racelogic product.

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,
Did the woodhouse team/mccain etc. use the racelogic in the comp coupes. What rear diffs are they using?
Thanks

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for the replies guys. Took me a bit to get back to you(been a busy day at work). I do already have the Quaife and it really did make a difference. I like what Bill said about "dialing in the slippage". I will probably go with it. I will report back my experience.

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the traction control is set on the most restricted setting, can you floor the car from a dead stop without spinning the tires on pavement?

Reaction score
Yes... You will hear chirps but the tires will not spin more than you have it set for. There are delays that can be set and are, with our systems that have cause and affect settings for rpm and speed so in affect you can spin for that amount of time. The launch control though will allow some spin so the car will not bog and fall on its face off the line. This is the way we set them up, mostly for the performance side and not the safety of it.

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) How much does RaceLogic Traction Control cost?

2) How much is the labor?

3) Does it require professional installation?

Reaction score
1) How much does Racelogic Traction Control cost?

2) How much is the labor?

3) Does it require professional installation?

The basic Viper spec system is $1685. If you want the system installed it is $3400 installed and "programmed". We have spent a couple months and 2 sets of tires perfecting the settings for N/A and S/C Vipers. Not to say you cannot do it yourself as many other owners of different brands of cars do. It will just take a lot of time to get it right after the install.

If you guys do have any request or specific questions please call and I would be happy to spend some time talking with you about it.

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. You want it, you buy it and enjoy to your heart's content. But forcing all Viper enthusiasts to purchase electronic nannies aint what the Viper is about.

Will never be in a Viper I buy.

I'm sure that a lot of people share this opinion, including myself. But you guys do have to admit if you could use this when drag racing and it helped smoke a Vette by a few more lengths it would be really cool.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang