Removal of Hardtop on RT/10

musclefreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I went to remove the top on my 2001 RT/10, I noticed that the roof removal tool was not stowed in the top where the owner's manual specifies, nor is it elsewhere in the car. I called the dealer where I purchased the car (an exotic car dealer) who didn't have it. When I called a local Dodge Dealership, the parts department couldn't locate the tool on their computer and the service tech didn't have any experience with Vipers.

Does anyone know if the roof can be removed by a conventional tool (with conventional fittings- i.e. phillips, socket or torx) or if that specific tool must be used? If I need the tool, how do I obtain one (what is the part number). Despretaly want to cruise with the top off and also use my soft top.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are talking about turning the latches which are right above the visors? If so, my "Roof Removal Tool" was nothing more that a hex key wrench.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could turn the latches with my fingers on my '99. Push down on the outside of the roof to compress the seal and voila.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just make sure when you reinstall the hardtop that you engage the latches completely. Every once in a while you hear a story of someone who didn't - with disasterous results.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got all the right advise above. The "tool" is simply a hex key. You can easily use a small phillips screwdriver for leverage to pop the latches open. As posted, keep some downward pressure on the corner of the top just over the latch and you'll ease the pressure on the latch.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same experience - purchased my '00 RT in May of '04, got home, found the tool missing. However, you can use just about anything to turn the latches - I use a large screwdriver, but I used a long key on my keyring one time (although I don't recommend it if you value the key). I *am* surprised that they didn't make them like the soft tops - I really don't see the reason to require an external tool for them.