Removing the shift lockout?

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this something that is easily done? I like to shift 1-3-5 and it won't let me do that unless I take it above 2k RPM in 1st gear. I understand this is how they get around the gas guzzler tax, but I don't like it. :D

Thanks...

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call DC Performance and purchase their upgraded computer for your car. Along with the increased performance, lower engine temperatures and smoother runing, you will also have the skip-shift feature disabled. Then you can shift the car any way you like. Their computer upgrade is the best upgrade you can make to your Viper. However, if you do not want to spend the money for the computer, I would check out Summit Racing. i think they have skip-shift disabelers available which just plug into the wiring harness at the gearbox.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My local speed shop guy (who does a lot of Viper and Vette work) installed a bypass 'thingie' a couple of years ago. Works great. The light still comes on it just doesn't pop the shifter over. I think I paid less than $50 and it only took him a couple of minutes. Come to think of it, he may have even done it for free.

When my new ACR arrives (maybe this week!!) I'll have the same thing done again. So, on a related question, does the same 'thingie' work on the '08's?

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It drove me crazy ... at first.
To solve, just don't shift early into 2nd (due to tall gears) or even better change your gears out and problem solved and significant enjoyment added - John B can help with that.

Hope it helps!

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered the module to remove this... I'll let you know how it goes.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I happen to have an extra skip shift eliminator lying around (new, never installed/used). I someone needs one, send me a PM.

Peter

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Call DC Performance and purchase their upgraded computer for your car. Along with the increased performance, lower engine temperatures and smoother runing, you will also have the skip-shift feature disabled. Then you can shift the car any way you like. Their computer upgrade is the best upgrade you can make to your Viper. However, if you do not want to spend the money for the computer, I would check out Summit Racing. i think they have skip-shift disabelers available which just plug into the wiring harness at the gearbox.

Thanks for the recommendation! Whether you're interested in getting more out of your Viper (and eliminating that annoying shift lockout) or simply want to remove the lockout, we are more than happy and able to help!

Feel free to PM me and I'll make sure you get taken care of.

- Brandon @ DC Performance