Ride Difference Stock 08 Versus ACR?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has firmer springs to deal with the additional downforce, but all the road test magazines went out of their way to mention how smooth it rode on the track.

Maybe the upgraded, adjustable shocks are helping out here.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
spoke with a person at prefix on friday who has had an opportunity to drive the new ACR. He said he thought it was a nicer ride than non ACR car. Also said it will come from factory with ride height adjusted to same as non ACR.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR setup is substantially similar to that of installing Motons in the stock SRT. Both setups run fully adjustable nitrogen pressured coilovers. In addition the ACR runs similar spring rates to the setup used by most running motons - 500 front 800 rear. Can quote the ACR ride but I just love my moton setup and i am sure many others will agree. One difference the acr is running thicker, heavier sway bars front and rear. That might tighten things up a bit more.

Reaction score
The ACR shocks like the Motons have better "control" over the springs and that is why even with the increased rates you end up with a better overall ride.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, here is what the SRT engineers posted regarding the differences in srping rate for the 2003-2006, 2008 standard car and the 2008 ACR:

2003-2006 SRT-10:
Front: 200 lb/in
Rear: 500 lb/in
Front Anti-roll Bar: 27mm Hollow
Rear Anti-roll Bar: 27mm Hollow
Michelin PS1 Tires

2008 SRT-10:
Front: 210 lb/in
Rear: 525 lb/in
Front Anti-roll Bar: 27mm Hollow
Rear Anti-roll Bar: 27mm Solid
Michelin PS2 Tires

2008 ACR:
Front: 514 lb/in
Rear: 1085 lb/in
Front Anti-roll Bar: 27mm Solid
Rear Anti-roll Bar: 27mm Solid
Michelin PSC Tires

/Rich

xlr8ion

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Double the spring rate will double the firmness when it comes to bumps in the road.Hey,another reason to keep the ACR on the track where it belongs.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Double the spring rate will double the firmness when it comes to bumps in the road.Hey,another reason to keep the ACR on the track where it belongs.

Not true. the Motons and the setup on the ACR are simply a better suspension. I doubled the spring psi and the ride is definitely better then stock.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ride feel is subjective. If the phrase "too rough" comes to mind when you ride in one then you should probably consider abandoning the thought of getting a Viper.

Not slamming, just saying.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Like Chuck says, opinions vary on ride quality. With 500 front / 1000+ lb rear springs and solid sway bars (read comp coupe - I have a set) the ride on the street or freeways over bumps will be stiff, very stiff.

I run 700 front / 900 lb rear springs on my GTS (track car w/o aero at the present) with upgraded sway bars and race Motons. The ride on the street is stiff, very stiff.

Both cars weigh about 3400 lbs wet. Most people would not like a long ride in either of these cars on the street.

Personally, I like the ride, but would not want to drive either car on the street for more than an hour or so.

Dan

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run 500 and 800 on NY streets and truly believe the ride is much overall then stock.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting read. I'd be interested in feeling the difference in ride stiffness. Why the hollow vs. solid sway bar? What's the point of a hollow sway bar. Why not just decrease the diameter of the bar? Is it to maintain same size fittings?

I'm just asking....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting read. I'd be interested in feeling the difference in ride stiffness. Why the hollow vs. solid sway bar? What's the point of a hollow sway bar. Why not just decrease the diameter of the bar? Is it to maintain same size fittings?

I'm just asking....

I'm no engineer but I think a hollow bar is stronger than a smaller solid bar of the same mass, or something like that.

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most important factor in bar stiffness is the Outside Diameter of the center section. In the equation for stiffness it gets raised to the 4th power whereas other stuff like arm length only gets squared, or less.

The net result of this is a hollow bar with a larger OD could be stiffer (and at the same time lighter), than a solid bar of smaller OD. Maintaining an identical OD and removing the center 1/2" or so of material can drop a bunch of weight without having a big impact on stiffness.

The metal furthest from the center axis of the swaybar is more "important" than the stuff at the center. For a general idea of bar stiffness, see:
Speedway Engineering's 38.5 inch long Sway Bar Rates

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm just asking....

Next time we are out for an event, you are welcome to take a test drive.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most important factor in bar stiffness is the Outside Diameter of the center section. In the equation for stiffness it gets raised to the 4th power whereas other stuff like arm length only gets squared, or less.

The net result of this is a hollow bar with a larger OD could be stiffer (and at the same time lighter), than a solid bar of smaller OD. Maintaining an identical OD and removing the center 1/2" or so of material can drop a bunch of weight without having a big impact on stiffness.

The metal furthest from the center axis of the swaybar is more "important" than the stuff at the center. For a general idea of bar stiffness, see:
Speedway Engineering's 38.5 inch long Sway Bar Rates

Interesting . . . thanks.

/Rich