Roll cages

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to replace the roll bar in my GTS for a roll cage. I want it to pass tech for Viper Days as well as any other racing sanctions. Drag racing and road racing. How much should I expect to pay? Who can do this in Florida? Any and all advice is welcomed. Thanks.

Chuck 98 RT/10 and 97 GTS

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You couls also install removable side bars to you roll bar, then you should pass all inspections (NHRA)

/JP

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
There's only one kind of roll cage to put in your car: the absolute best you can obtain. This should cost $4,000-$5,000 installed. Be sure you use 1-3/4" X .120 DOM tubing. The best way to butcher your car and waste money is to have someone who doesn't know exactly what you need do the work. I don't know Florida that well, but I do know that Sean Roe is located there and he understands roll cage requirements. I'd highly recommend Autoform in Michigan. I have seen their roll cages save several lifes in crashed race Vipers. Don't skimp, get the best!

In my opinion, the only way to install a full cage is to completely gut the interior and doors/door windows. This is the only way to get the tubing at a safe distance from your body, especially your arms, legs, and head. I learned the hard way by putting 3 different cages in my car until I got it right. The weight reduction will offset the 125+ pounds you will be adding with the roll cage. You need this weight reduction, plus more to be competitive in the Viper Days WTW race series. Minimum weight is 3,225 pounds with full fuel and no driver. A stock Viper will weigh 3,600 or more pounds with full fuel and no driver. That means you need to eliminate about 500 pounds from your car since you will be adding a 125 pound cage. You can't do this and still have a comfortable street car. It simply cannot be done, period!

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a $600 cage! I had a $5k cage done in Michigan (not Autoform) that was sh_t! I had to fly out twice and ended up paying another $2k to fix the bogus bends in the rear tubes when I failed SCCA tech.

I agree with Frank...go with someone that has experience. The best cage work I have ever seen in a race car was from Brian at www.racecraftltd.com. He does all the Arizona race cars. The best cage in a street car without destroying the interior was on Held's ACR that was done by McCann www.mccannracing.com.

In my next ACR, I will be getting a cage put in by Bruce's Speed Shop (973) 664-0192 in NJ and each night before I go sleep I will pray that the front down tubes will not be in my sight line....Just kidding. I have a lot of faith in Bruce because he has done at least (5) before mine. Experience is the most important factor. Also...remove the roof and drop the car at the fabricator with just a few bolts holding it on this way they can make the upper hoops perfect to follow the contour of the roofline and get the welds done easier.

Be prepared...To install any decent cage you will loose your headliner completely and most of your interior door panels and the dash will be notched out for the down tubes. It hurts when they start cutting so you must hope it is a clean job.

Try to get the work done as close to home so you can go and hassle the fabricator until it is perfect. The best specs are the in the SCCA GCR www.scca.org and I think are the same as what Frank listed.

There is nothing more sorry than a hack cage job. I have lived it. Luckely I was never hit and needed to test the integrity.

Reaction score
99T1, you may be right, but I found the $600 price in the 21st addition of the Pegasus Auto racing Supply catalog which is mailed to S.C.C.A members. Their web address is pegasusautoracing.com Their phone number is 1-800-688-6946. The company is located out of New Berlin, Wisconsin. Autopower was the first manufacturer of roll bars to be licenced and certified by S.C.C.A.. All bars are manufactured from 1.75 O.D. X .120 wall thickness tubing or 2.00" where applicable. All bars include back up plates with grade 5 mounting hardware. A complete Bolt-in Cage Kit including race approved roll bar (part # 2407) sells for $559.95 plus freight.I do agree with the observation about gutting the interior to achieve a good fit. By the way, Pegasis Racing Supply has lots of useful products for serious racing needs. Check them out. At least order their free catalog.
You must be registered for see images

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, thank you. I stand corrected. You are right. You can get a cage for $600 from Pegasus.

I get my Water Weter from Pegasus but not my cages. I put an Autopower roll cage in a 911 in 1986. Yes the price is the best but I was not that happy with the fit. I put a Safety Devices (UK) bolt in cage in my 930 that fit perfect.

Autpower is the bare bones of cages and while they are supposed to be SCCA legal, if you have been through a SCCA tech you will know that sometimes technical issues are in the eye of the beholder. It either meets the current CGR or does not "according to Donny".

I would be very interested how the main hoop behind the driver attaches to the bulkhead or the frame rails? Does this interfere with seat travel? How do the tubes from the main hoop attach to the rear of the car? If you can get me further info or picts, please email me ([email protected]). If it was actually a good fit (I'm very skeptical) it would be a good starting point and you could weld additional bars to customize it. Bolt in will never equal the strength of weld in. I suppose you could weld after the bolting and that would help.

As you probably know, the Autopower side bars are only there to keep the cage square and wouldn't stop a bicycle in a bad side hit. Since the integrity of the race seat and cage design can mean your life, why get the bare bones just to pass tech. If you are serious enought about needing a cage I think you should make it the best that you can run in the particular class.

Thanks for the info and I will look for more from Autopower.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery