RT/10 Owners ...Heads up!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
took my car out last week first time since being in storage.
The hardtop had been on the car all winter.
Lucky for me my wife was with me in the car.
So, I did 55-60 mph. I felt a breeze coming from above the windshield where the top meets.
Both front latches were secure.
So, checked it further the next day.

The screws that hold the latch to the top had worked themselves loose and there was a gap.
If i had been a lone and had a spirited run. the top probably would have ripped off.
the screws were 1/2 way out.
showed the dealership this, they were shocked. and removed all screws and reinstalled them with loctite.

just a fyi, because this could have been very bad.

Jim

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EEEEEEEWWW, that could have made for a real bad day. Good to hear you caught it Jim. I'll check mine, but NEVER use it.

Mike

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the car is parked at home, I keep the latches "open". I have the V-mania top, so I loosen the rear bolts and unlatch the front pins. So I don't forget to drive with the top loose, I keep the sun visors down to remind me that the latches are loose.
Thanks for the head's up!

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the car is parked at home, I keep the latches "open". I have the V-mania top, so I loosen the rear bolts and unlatch the front pins. So I don't forget to drive with the top loose, I keep the sun visors down to remind me that the latches are loose.
Thanks for the head's up!

Interesting. Can you tell me why you leave the latches lose? Do you think this would avoid the problem posted above?

M

mclean

You guys need to do what we do. We only use the Hard Top during the Winter storage months. Once we deicde it is Viper time again, the hard top comes off and becomes a guest in spare bedroom number 1. It stays off till Winter. No top no problems with a possible fly off :)

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have top off as much as possible (which isnt often in this area) but i always have a habit of checking latches. learned to do it due to checking bolts and such on my fourwheelers and bikes due to hard riding.

glad to hear you didnt have a horror story

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keep in mind the latches were closed securely.
the actual screws that hold the latches were coming out....
that is the ekkk factor. i did everything right .. the top should not have been loose.
it was because the screws were falling out.
check the SCREWS that hold the latches not just the latches.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry it took me a while to answer...I leave it loose so I can double check that they are on at the same tension everytime. Also being loose doesn't keep the seals as pressed and lessens the rubber's memory on the seals.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim:

I checked my top and noticed a little play between the hardtop and the top of the windshield. Removed the top and found each of the four screws (that hold the front latches on to the top itself) to to be about a quarter turn loose. Do you think some loctite would keep them from backing out??

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
loctite is what the dealership used. but that is exactly what happend to me
but mine were as far out as they could be without hitting the latch.
glad you checked it !

the thought of the top coming off scares the heck out of me.
best wishes
Jim

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456