rubbing & grinding??

RI-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
05 roadster with 32k i bought about week ago. i randomly get the rotational rubbing/grinding noise manly when i take a left hand turn noise out off the rear right. i believe it does it more when i have 2 people in the car. i have looked at the fender liner and see no wear makers. i have no idea my next think is to check the rear end fluid for metal flakes..

i have stock suspension and wheels and tires 345/30/19

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider when trying to sort strange noises: Old differential fluid...or, a diff fluid change without the limited slip modifier.

This would be especially worth considering in a car new to you with said mileage.

While on a lift, examine the whole suspension and drive train carefully.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Check the parking brake pads. Those pads like to drag and can totally wear out and go metal to metal. A hard turn could put enough load on the rotor to "flex" it and make it rub the pad. My dad has a Stealth that does something very similar and it sounds more like brakes than anything else. Also doesn't have a rear diff, so it kinda eliminates that idea for it at least.

OP
OP
R

RI-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just had it on the lift and pulled the wheels off and didnt see anything rubbing wheels or liner. looked at the axles no boots torn and remove the diff filler and some leaked out and it looks clean no flakes and still nice honey color. the alxe shaft move a lil in and out the diff. i believe thats normal no leaks. im soo lost...
the other thing i have notice was the muffler tip move when in turn. i notice this cause i was turning right and stop got out of my vehicle to unlock a gate and seen my exhaust tip close the the side skirt hole. when im parked straight the muffler lines up good.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That's odd on the muffler. They do move forward and backward with heat. After I come off the track mine will almost be touching the rear of the cutout, but when it's cold they are pretty close to the center.

03Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same issue, a mean rubbing grinding sound when turning slowly, sometimes. I just had Dan Gragin (in LA) inspect my 2003 yesterday. It seems to be something that goes bad on 03 to 06 models. I believe it's the
Differential Carrier

OP
OP
R

RI-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok just drained the differential fluid and i remove the 2 3/8 allen bolts and i found a lil allen bolt head broken. i dont see any metal shaving in the fluid any idea where that lil allen screw goes????

You must be registered for see images attach

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I sent the pic of the fastener head to Tom Sessions. He suggested it could be off of the carrier assembly..."time for a Wavetrac".

OP
OP
R

RI-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im trying to see where it would go in carrier. ive done gears before on my mustang and cant see any where it would go. any pics would be great!!!

also as far upgrades for the wavetrac thats just got the carrier. wat should i do for gears and wat does the car come with stock? i will do doing most weekend and track 1 a year

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Stock is 3.07...many have gone to 3.55 for periodic road course track days. For the quarter mile group, 3.73 seems to appeal.

OP
OP
R

RI-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you think that little allen bolt is from the lock bolt for the pin between the spider gears??? like on fords have a 8mm bolt?

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That bolt head is from the spider shaft, it holds it in place , the shaft side of the bolt is still in the carrier , holding the spider shaft in place, you can usually back it out with a pick and replace it, rock the shaft back and forth to unload the bolt shaft thats still there, this is a fairly common problem.

OP
OP
R

RI-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That bolt head is from the spider shaft, it holds it in place , the shaft side of the bolt is still in the carrier , holding the spider shaft in place, you can usually back it out with a pick and replace it, rock the shaft back and forth to unload the bolt shaft thats still there, this is a fairly common problem.
any idea where i can get a new replacement bolt before i open the carrier?

thank you!!

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try the dealer, they should be able to pull up a diagram of the diff and get a part number. Or any good locale joint clutch and gear shop, they might have one laying around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper