seat lowering advice

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'4" about 210 & farily OK in the Viper, had genII & III and have never changed anything for comfort, but I'm thinking about doing a lowering kit, probably the 2" lowering I see on partsrack I guess.

Questions - I'm wondering how hard it is to install these as a DIY job? And, would the car look funny if I only do the driver seat? I hate to lower the passenger seat cause my wife is 5"6' and my 14 yr old son is 5"8' (today, by tonight he might be 5"10' the way he's growing right now) - but won't it look weird with the one seat 2 inches lower than the other, especially from the back ... which is the view most other folks have of the Viper .:headbang:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'4" about 210 & farily OK in the Viper, had genII & III and have never changed anything for comfort, but I'm thinking about doing a lowering kit, probably the 2" lowering I see on partsrack I guess.

Questions - I'm wondering how hard it is to install these as a DIY job? And, would the car look funny if I only do the driver seat? I hate to lower the passenger seat cause my wife is 5"6' and my 14 yr old son is 5"8' (today, by tonight he might be 5"10' the way he's growing right now) - but won't it look weird with the one seat 2 inches lower than the other, especially from the back ... which is the view most other folks have of the Viper .:headbang:

I didn't do mine (Gen2) myself, since it was already at Tator's at that time, but the removal of the seat is more difficult than the installation. The 2" kit is also fixed (no front/back movement) which is that much easier.

As for the different seat heights, think of every car on the road today with electric seat controls. Do you think they are all left at the identical seat height and position?

You'll never notice it.

Last edited:

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'4"/260.

I chose the 1" kit for my Coupe, and it gave me plenty of room! I considered the 2" kit, but didn't like the idea of not being able to move the seat forward and back.

As for the installation, it is reasonably straightforward. The hardest part, IMO, was removing the seat from the car (and putting it back in), but that was with a Coupe. It's just a tight fit getting the seat through the door opening. With your 'Vert, put the top down first and you should be able to yank the seat in no time!

With the 1" kit, I really don't notice that the drivers seat sits lower than the passengers - Even from the back.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do the 1" kit on my passengers side - maybe this Winter?

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the 2 inch on both sides. Besides being in a more comfortable and natural driving position do you know the weight savings?? These seat rails are friggin' heavy, the weight savings is just gravvy.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone interested in posting a nice photo log on the upgrade? I'm a little worried with removing the seats. My RT/10 was a piece of cake. Is this similar?

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a lot of weight considering it's just rails. Thanks for all the info, I'm thinking I'll do the drivers seat & see how it looks, I can always do both after. Now to decide on 1" or 2" kit, hmm.

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Which lowering kit did you use (I'd thought most 2" kits wouldn't work on an '08)? Any idea how much the seats themselves weigh?

The kits are produced by Northwind Engineering. I purchased my drivers side kit directly from Northwind, and my passenger kit from Woodhouse. I've installed the drivers side kit, but haven't gotten around to do the passenger side kit (I'll need to relocate the amplifier).

The posts you have seen for the '08 relate to a reluctance to relocate a seat position switch used by the airbag – a limitation of liability concern. The kit easily installs on an '08, and relocating the switch was a 1-minute exercise.

I didn't weigh the seat after pulling off the seat track, but there really wasn't much weight to the seat itself (bottom and back).

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which lowering kit did you use (I'd thought most 2" kits wouldn't work on an '08)? Any idea how much the seats themselves weigh?

The 2 inch kit bolts the seat directly to the car floor. The 1 inch kit still uses the seat rails so there is no weight savings with the one inch kit. I read some people with '08's used the 1 inch but didn't read any with the 2 inch kit.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The posts you have seen for the '08 relate to a reluctance to relocate a seat position switch used by the airbag – a limitation of liability concern. The kit easily installs on an '08, and relocating the switch was a 1-minute exercise.
I was under the impression that (besides the liability issue) relocating the switch can ause codes.

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm 6.6' and couldn't fit in my '08. The 2-inch kit works perfectly - no codes. I didn't disconnect anything, just relocated a magnetic switch that appears to be used to shut off, or reduce the charge, of the air bag when the seat is moved to the full forward track position. Relocating the switch correctly communicates that the seat is in the furthest position away from the air bag. 4k miles, and enjoying the car!

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much of a job was the install?

About 90-minutes, with 3 beers. It's really easy, although the most difficult part for me was putting the seat in the car. I scratched my shift console and ended up purchasing a replacement (about $150). Use a towel over your center console, and recline the seat back when putting it back in, and you should be fine.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't weigh the seat after pulling off the seat track, but there really wasn't much weight to the seat itself (bottom and back).
So no more than the weight of a good fixed-back seat, ~18 lbs or so? My C5's seats are the same way, all the weight is in the rails. If thats the case here, I'll go ahead and order two lowering kits and just stick with the stock seats.

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the 2" kit as well. Its like a magic trick when I get out of the car. People think I'm 5'7 and then I stand up and I'm 6'4".

People always ask, "how the hell do you look so short in there?" lol

Go for the 2" kit, makes the car ALOT more liveable

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any idea how much the seats themselves weigh?
To answer my own question, I weighed my 2008's passenger seat (on a postage scale) at 45.6 pounds.

The amplifier under the seat was 4.0 pounds.

Now if I could only find a way to disable the seat belt warning lights (and beeps; when I use harnesses I plug in the stock belts on top of them to stop the noise). You can disconnect the small sensor harness behind each seat. That turns the warnings off, but also seems to disable the air bags!

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
build your own. i did. the hardest part is getting the seat out. then just find some square tube steel and drill holes. i think spending 200 to 300 dollars for a couple of pieces of metal is almost like stealing.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did mine 2". If you've got a side cutter and a drill the job isn't too bad. Remove the seat (2 bolts 2 nuts), disconnect connector, remove the track, cut off the 4 brackets that mount it to the floor, drill holes on bottom frame, use 8 self tapping bolts, reinstall seat, DONE! Cutting off the brackets is the hardest part. If you can weld the brackets back on it would make the job easier. The entire job took 2-1/2 hours. I wanted to try this before spending the money on the 2" kit. Worked pretty well.

Radu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the 1" Northwind kit (bought in 2004) and I'm not impressed with the design. That inch was gained by moving the sliding rails out of the vertical axis of the seat mount. Imagine the stock mount looks like two I's with the seat on top of them. Then the Northwind kit looks like two S's (from the front). That shape, in addition to being constructed from several pieces of aluminum bolted together, makes the kit very compliant so it acts like a vertical spring and you constantly bounce up and down in the seat. I kept adjusting the damping on my KW suspension trying to get rid of the bouncing until I got a ride in the passenger seat of the car (which is stock) and I realized the problem was just the seat-lowering kit.

I imagine the 2" kit doesn't have this problem since it's a much simpler design with no sliding rails.

Last edited:

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone post a link to the 1" lowering kit please as I can't seem to locate it?
Thank you.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Radu,

No problem with the 2-inch kit. Very stable - you feel bolted to the floor - and you are!

Dan

CT GTS SCUBAPRO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only problem that i see with the 2" kit is the loss of front to back seat adjustment. I like to sit closer to the wheel on the track.