selling my '99 gts for $29k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad you're 2500 miles away. That would almost get me back into a GTS. Good luck with the sale. I don't imagine you'll have it for long.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, thats where demand for these cars is right now

actually its the demand for YOUR car.

For example, i have a buddy that is currently looking for a GTS.
I have been pushing him to go take alook at your Viper since your within driving distance. He isnt even considering it. Why? He thinks the silverstripe is a bad combo because it makes the black look dull, and thinks the interior *****. I tell him for this price he can vinyl over the stripes and swap the interior. He wont budge, says there are plenty of other Vipers on the market and he'll just wait for the right one for him to come up. I don blame him.

This is a Great deal IMO, well Below market value. But just because you are below market value dosnt mean you are going to find a buyer quick. There are many collectibles(such as Vipers) that have a very limited buyer base. You watch PawnStars??? Sure the item might be worth ***, but you aint getting *** untill you locate a buyer, and simply lowering the price isnt necessarily going to find a buyer any quicker. Pawnstars is a cool show...:)

goodluck with the sale.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guess i could add, if this was 2.5 yrs ago when i was in the market for a GTS i would have been on my way with a check in hand:)

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
actually its the demand for YOUR car.

For example, i have a buddy that is currently looking for a GTS.
I have been pushing him to go take alook at your Viper since your within driving distance. He isnt even considering it. Why? He thinks the silverstripe is a bad combo because it makes the black look dull, and thinks the interior *****. I tell him for this price he can vinyl over the stripes and swap the interior. He wont budge, says there are plenty of other Vipers on the market and he'll just wait for the right one for him to come up. I don blame him.

This is a Great deal IMO, well Below market value. But just because you are below market value dosnt mean you are going to find a buyer quick. There are many collectibles(such as Vipers) that have a very limited buyer base. You watch PawnStars??? Sure the item might be worth ***, but you aint getting *** untill you locate a buyer, and simply lowering the price isnt necessarily going to find a buyer any quicker. Pawnstars is a cool show...:)

goodluck with the sale.
personally, I think a black gts with NO stripes is dull. I guess its personal opinion, and you have to see the car in person to appreciate it. As for the interior, yeah, its an easy swap.

seen pawnstars. good show.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I needed another Viper. I'm currently just 50 miles away and am tempted to take a look.

It is that good of a deal.

Anyone want a w/b 96 rt?

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know nothing about this car, but that sounds like a steal! $29k for a black 99 GTS?!?!?!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why? He thinks the silverstripe is a bad combo because it makes the black look dull, and thinks the interior *****. I tell him for this price he can vinyl over the stripes and swap the interior. He wont budge, says there are plenty of other Vipers on the market and he'll just wait for the right one for him to come up. I don blame him.

Your friend seems rather harsh and inarticulate. I find the silver stripes over black to be elegant and rather sleek. Don't know what to make of an interior that "*****". Is it negative pressure? Guessing (though it's quite a leap from "*****") it's the cognac color (since the leather and fabric looks good) which, IMO, never matched up well with certain exterior colors. But as opposed to black, the cognac interior is far more "rich" looking.

Anyway, I don't think you were looking to criticize the seller, but your post comes pretty close. Maybe we can be a bit more supportive? :dunno:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe we can be a bit more supportive? :dunno:
I think solid black with cognac on a 1999 GTS is about as desirable as a Viper gets (I am no B/W fan), but brownish interiors don't work for me on silver cars which means the stripes goof the interior. BUT I say buy the car, then put flat black vinyl stripes over the stock silver stripes and rock it.

Last edited:

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not looking to sell but a thought occurred to me. I have a 2001 Saphire Blue(no stripes) GTS with 67,000 miles. It was in an accident back in 2005. It did take 2 years to get every last thing resolved(Custom Car Crafters in Austin who ***** tried to fix it and failed. Berli who is the greatest got everything right). I'm very happy with the car right now. It's running great. Even put a nice set of 19" HRE 546's on it.

But with the miles and the fact it was in an accident, I can't imagine I'd get more than low 20's for it if I ever do want to sell. At what point is the car worth more parted out? Hood, engine, front fascia, side sills, seats, windshield, wheels if patiently sold have to be worth close to that. At what point does the aggravation of parting it out still work out better than trying to sell?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow NICE GTS!!!

I have always wanted a black Viper...wow...and a '99 at that.

Maybe I should walk around my house and see what I can sell:)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's sad to see it go...didn't you just purchase this recently???

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not looking to sell but a thought occurred to me. I have a 2001 Saphire Blue(no stripes) GTS with 67,000 miles. It was in an accident back in 2005. It did take 2 years to get every last thing resolved(Custom Car Crafters in Austin who ***** tried to fix it and failed. Berli who is the greatest got everything right). I'm very happy with the car right now. It's running great. Even put a nice set of 19" HRE 546's on it.

But with the miles and the fact it was in an accident, I can't imagine I'd get more than low 20's for it if I ever do want to sell. At what point is the car worth more parted out? Hood, engine, front fascia, side sills, seats, windshield, wheels if patiently sold have to be worth close to that. At what point does the aggravation of parting it out still work out better than trying to sell?

Some people DO buy complete cars and sell them for parts. However, they have to been taken apart properly (tools, epxerience and knowledge), stored properly, and it would take a long time to sell all the parts. Since the engine and trans is worth about $5-7,000 complete, then a used hood is an easy $5,000, headlights, wheels and tires, rear diff, etc.

That's what wreckers and used parts places do for a living. I know that my 98 GTS was written off because the hood was $28K then the nose was $6k, headlights, etc etc, bent frame, broken wheel and it sold for $17,359.00. It did have a Roe supercharger on it though.

Usually most people can't park a wrecked car in their yard unless inside a fence or garage - by city ordinance. There are a lot of other BS laws restricting most serious disassembly to Industrial areas.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62