Shopping for Gen 3 SRT-10

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about selling my 1994 RT/10 to upgrade to a Gen 3 SRT-10 and have a question. Are there any differences between the early model years? Mainly 2003, 2004, and 2005? Is there any reason to shy away from a 2003 due to the fact that it's the first year of a new model? I know for other production vehicles they always say to stay away from the early builds until the car companies get the kinks out...I'm curious if the same principal applies to this car? Any other advice you can offer is much appreciated.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is other stuff still for 06 cars, something about all being prewired for Sirus, at least the coupes were. I remember reading something or maybe writing something myself a while back about the differences.

Jon

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
05 added knock sensors which might make a bit more difficult for tuning.

05 and up the transmissions are stronger, they switched to a stronger metal for the gears.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
years ago I bought a 2004 C5 vette brand new off the show room floor for 52K...

I will never forget when I went to the drag strip and saw 5 other C5 vettes all from 1997-2002..

I ran against them and ran identical times stock vrs stock and as well minus rims ect. the cars were all 99% identical...

However these guys all bought theirs used at 20-35K while I paid 52K for mine....

From that day I vowed that I would never by another brand new anything again unless it was the first or second year....

Their are tons of 2003 Vipers for sale for 38-42K that have less than 12K miles....

If you pull a 2003 vert up beside a 2006 vert...The only thing differant will be the miles...Were talking 12K miles for an 03 vrs 5K miles for an 06...and the color of the brakes being red on an 06 vrs the blaclk on an 03...

The point is that their is absolutely no reason what so ever to buy a 04 or 05 or 06 SRT10 vert when you can get a 2003 vert with 12k miles or less for 39K all day...

honestly a 39K o3 vert sitting next to a 2009 90K vert is still pretty much the same car visually minus the hood..

Id keep this in mind...

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless u want a coupe then you'd have to get an 06.
If I remember correctly I think 03s had minor issue with power steering or water pump. Something. Forget but call chuck up and he can tell you.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally would not buy a first year of any car, HOWEVER, if I had to choose, it would be a low volume produced car such as the Viper. Then again I waited for an '09??

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
buy a cheap 03 or 04 in good condition, if you want to spend a little more money I wouldnt buy an 06 I would spend the little bit extra and get a used 08. There are some steals out there on 08s. If you want to save money get an 03.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 03s still have a factory warrenty.

Even the later 03's would be winding down their 7 year maxcare warranties (assuming they had them), most of them would be out of warranty, no?

The addition of the roof was probably most significant in 06 :drive: I agree with Twister, it does sound crazy to spend twice as much on an 09 over 03. Sure, there's a different hood and more power. But, you could add a blower and hood for not too much.

However, there's something to be said about being under factory warranty. Keep in mind you can't add a maxcare after 4 years in-service, so if you're going with an older SRT try to find one that already has the warranty added.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It used to be 3, in my latest contract I think it says 4 now. Says 4 online too. I could be wrong though, verify before buying an SRT between 3-4 years in service!

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an 08 with an in-service date of feb/08 and if it's 4 years I probably won't buy an extended max-care warranty because a lot can happen in that time period but if it's 3 years I most likely will.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've bought all mine from Mike Robbins, and he talked to me about the ins and outs of waiting. The price changes the longer you wait, but I recall there being a bigger jump between certain years of service. Sounds like you are still within the first 3 years.

I bought mine early because I was worried Dodge would stop offering them on the Viper. Something to consider! $1500 was worth it to me for piece of mind. Plus, it's a selling point in case you plan on getting rid of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang