Side sills so cold they spit ice cubes

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since people have been curious about before and after temps, here is what I can do. Unfortunately this is not as comprehensive as has been asked for, but I'm trying to keep the length of time spent on these mods to a dull roar. Heck, I've got 2 weeks in to just fitting and modifying the new sills.

Anyway, what I'll do, on the dyno...

BEFORE - stock cats and manifolds, Belanger cat-back, stock sills and insulation.

AFTER - Parts Rack R/T HF cats, Belanger headers and side exhaust, modified vented Autoform headers with modified stock insulation.

I'll shoot them with my IR during the dyno runs. Since there is no air flow imposed during the static dyno work, I'll also do some road measurements. Drive car, stop and get temp. Same before and after parts as above.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Took my first set of temp measurements today. Had been cruising around town in the 80 deg sunny weather. After 10 minutes in the garage, the Roe fan kit had cycled once and I figured we were at "Remind your date the sills are hot, been in her house 10 minutes waiting on her mode."

This is obviously all the stock stuff outlined in my post above, and we'll do the stock stuff WOT again on the dyno Monday.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice paint Dave..

Still the old factory sills D'Y. We'll see if the new Autoform sills rate your comment some time later. :D

I guess maybe it ain't so obvious they're still the old sills like I said, unless you start adding up all the time between my posts and realize I put a side exhaust conversion on in like 5 days. I'm not that fast, and it hasn't happened yet...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still the old factory sills D'Y. We'll see if the new Autoform sills rate your comment some time later. :D

So...when will you have readings with the new sills and new exhaust system? :D Slacker, get moving!

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So...when will you have readings with the new sills and new exhaust system? :D Slacker, get moving!

I put the old sills back on today so I could do the show, wave at my favorite cop coming home (added bonus!), get my dyno pull on Monday for A/F, and then back up in the air for the big cheese starting Tuesday.

Folks, this is cutting in to my drinking schedule as it is, but I'll try to be spiffy with the clock hands. ;)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the old sills back on today so I could do the show, wave at my favorite cop coming home (added bonus!), get my dyno pull on Monday for A/F, and then back up in the air for the big cheese starting Tuesday.

Folks, this is cutting in to my drinking schedule as it is, but I'll try to be spiffy with the clock hands. ;)

Ya know...since you're working in the side sills this may be a good time to put in a WBO sensor or two.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D'Yank, you're going the wrong way. Stay tuned.

Got my baseline dyno pull today and they wouldn't even let employees near the dyno area, so getting sill temps was out of the question like I wanted.

I pulled the IR out when I got home and there does not appear to be a heat soak time. They are the hottest right after you shut down the car. Similar weather to previous post. Temps way higher.

Dyno link for those following all this crap.

http://forums.viperclub.org/dyno-results/613738-baseline-01-gts-im-running-rich.html

D

DAMN YANKEE

Dave,

A dyno shop that wont lket a disciplined customer near the dyno? Give them the gun next time.
I know its the wrong way.......they alternate, top, side, bottom, intside, top , side, bottom.
It was just part of the humor.....Captain Nemo.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how is this project coming along?

Project goes slow, but exceptionally well.

Both sides are officially complete now as far as the exhaust is concerned. Tonight I'll finish wiring up the rear O2 sensors - having to extend the car wiring - and put the plug wires on that D'Yankee was so gracious to send me for the cost of shipping them. Will get to hear the new sound after that!

This weekend we'll fit the factory insulation in the Autoform sills, and then send the sills off to be painted next week.

A few things to do next week under the car while the paint is happening, and then it's time to let the neighbors really appreciate what headers and HF cats sound like.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As always, very nice and professional, Dave!! Oh, YEAHHHHH...with headers and hf cats??? We have that, and starting up the car in the garage really SHAKES the WHOLE house...LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! ~juli

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. I am looking forward to seeing the final product and hearing about the results as I would like to do a side exhaust on my GTS as well.

How did you cover/repair the hole in the rear of the car where the stock exhaust protrudes out?

You mentioned wiring the rear O2 sensor but I can’t see it in the picture. I assume the Belanger side exhaust kit has a port for it. Is that true?

Thanks for posting the progress.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. I am looking forward to seeing the final product and hearing about the results as I would like to do a side exhaust on my GTS as well.

How did you cover/repair the hole in the rear of the car where the stock exhaust protrudes out?

You mentioned wiring the rear O2 sensor but I can’t see it in the picture. I assume the Belanger side exhaust kit has a port for it. Is that true?

Thanks for posting the progress.

The abandoned rear exhaust exit hole I will cover with a rear diffuser. Will build my own as I don't like the commercial products. Might have to drive for a while with the hole though.

The rear O2 sensors are customer install. He ships the bungs, you fit and weld.

You'll likely notice a complete absence of clamps on my system. Fully welded, should be no leaks to stink up the cabin.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960