Sixth gear ratio replacement

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sixth gear being pretty useless except for high speed cruising, has anyone replaced it with a different ratio. I notice that Giwasa in Spain market a kit for this. Any experiences ? Giwasa at www.Giwasa.com

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your real solution is to replace the differential gear ratio with 3.55 gears. 6th gear becomes very usable....generally put it in 6th any time I'm cruising at 60mph and above. Car screams as well.

OP
OP
J

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I'd really like to do is reduce the gap between 5th and 6th gear. I'm reluctant to change the diff ratio just to do this since that will also lower 1st gear which I kind of like the way it is. Lowering the diff ratio will close up all the gears a bit which I suppose is a good thing but will still leave that massive 5/6 gap. 1st to 4th ratios are quite well chosen with 4th to 5th acceptable but I rarely use 6th on the road and on a track it must be useless even with a lower diff. Which brings me back to my point, has anyone tried that Giwasa 6th gear. BTW I havn't been able to get thru to their site today.
Rascal, yes I hope to be at the 200mph event so if I don't see you sooner see you there!

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a T-56 out there with a .62 6th, it was used in the 93 Z-28 i think (only that yr) I bet it could be installed some how into the viper tranny

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know John Purner was working on a project to install the closer ratio Z06 Corvette gears into the Viper tranny case.

I don't know if he ever finished the project.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also found the Giwasa site and WHO ARE THESE GUYS!!!!!

They also sell outright ECU programming software/hardware.

So if anyone wants DIY reprogramming - here it is!

They are currently changing their prices/products around but a month or 2 ago the reprogrammer was $5000 and they also offered to do the reprogramming to your specifications for $1000.

I've always contented that if you want to have a fast Viper, you have to have control of spark and fuel tuning. I mean, that's what you did every Friday after work to get your car ready for a weekend of street racing - oh a set the valves too.

OP
OP
J

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I've put up a post with a link and I just can't get that Giwasa site at the moment. They are in Andorra in north east Spain and the last time I looked they had some really interesting stuff for the V10 like individual cylinder throttle bodies etc. Were they connected in any way with the Oreca team?
I really like the thought of that 6th gear replacement, would that involve a total gearbox strip to fit?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog