smooth tubes/air box

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you guys were such a great help with my drain plug frustrations, lets move onto the next topic!

Im pretty sure that getting into the airbox to clean/change filters is a relatively easy process, my problem is that I cannot get the smooth tubes off either the throttle bodies or the rear assembly of the airbox. And since there is no give in the tubes, even if I unbuckle the back of the airbox, it has no room to move anywhere since it is wedged in by the smoothies. How do you guys and girls get the smooth tubes off in order to get access to the filters? Im asking you guys because I want to do it once and I want to do it correctly, the last thing I want to do is damage any components on the car.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Silicone tubes can be a bear to remove...even more so in the cooling system.

I use a set of Snap-On hose removal tools...sharp points at different angles...straight, right angle, obtuse angle.
Think of a right angle awl...start on the air box side, slip sharp tip precisely between airbox plastic and the silicone tube, working all around tube and gradually back further and further from the tube's edge. Do not cut the tube!!! After a little progress has been made, try to remove tube...or keep on working and try again.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the 3 airbox knobs that need to be removed in order to remove the entire airbox and therefore remove the smooth tubes...

picture.php

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with chuck, my stock nobs are the sucksville. even when fully unscrewed there seems to be something holding the box down on the car. I'll give it another shot and hopefully it'll come loose. The last thing I want to do however is rip a whole in the airbox.

(I could be that strong, I could be the flippin hulk...but I'm not, Im Indian)

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't rip a hole in it. Try pulling backwards a little bit on the airbox as you lift up. See if you can lift up the smooth tube enough to stick a WD40 nozzle under it a bit and give it a little lube.

There are short studs sticking up a bit in the front of the airbox at the base of the big knobs. Maybe if you open the hood to the first stage and reach in from the front to wiggle the airbox up past the studs and push backwards a little at the same time?

It'll break free sooner or later, add a little petroleum jelly or even a finger's worth of motor oil around the first inch of the inside of the tubes at each end when you put it back together. Not much, just enough to keep the silicone from sticking next time

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
65 thanks for the great advice, Im gonna give a try tomorrow morning and see how it goes, but its hard to get airbox advice since its thought of as a pretty easy job, thanks again to all of you guys for steppin up.

I'll post back with either another thank you or more questions.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definately all is well when instead of trying to take the tubes off the box you take em off the throttle bodies. Nothing makes you feel stupider and more accomplished than learning all this stuff after hours of frustration.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
definately all is well when instead of trying to take the tubes off the box you take em off the throttle bodies. Nothing makes you feel stupider and more accomplished than learning all this stuff after hours of frustration.

Most of that is due to the fact that you don't want to hurt your baby. If this was your daily driver you would have cut the tubes in half with a hack saw and duct taped them back together. I found the more I worked on the car the less I was afraid of screwing it up.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of that is due to the fact that you don't want to hurt your baby. If this was your daily driver you would have cut the tubes in half with a hack saw and duct taped them back together. I found the more I worked on the car the less I was afraid of screwing it up.

you got that right. I know that before long Ill gain confidence that I can handle her. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad