So...Has anybody installed the new Mopar PCM on their 08/09?

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If so, how does it work on standard 91 octane gas and no other mods? Can you tell a difference in performance? Do you think it was worth the money?

Thanks,

Flash

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, I've got one order and so does Dan, I don't think any retail customer has recieved one yet. Mark at Woodhouse has one, he's been working with dodge. Mike

Reaction score
We did have one we worked with and I left on the customers car we tested it on. The controller is designed for off road use only and they 93 octane tune should be no problem for a track car. You will be able to run it with lower octane but the power will be down and you will have to listen closely for detonation. In the end you know it is tuned for 93 and the risk is with you if you choose to run a lower grade fuel.

As for it's worth it is definitely worth it for lot's of reasons. The ability to use mods and not have CEL's, better tip in power, more midrange power and a few more rpm's for the track days.

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to get the controller, but none of the dealers in my area have a clue about what I'm talking about.
Is it possible to order it from you guys at Woodhouse and do the install myself here in Alberta?

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If so, how does it work on standard 91 octane gas and no other mods? Can you tell a difference in performance? Do you think it was worth the money?

Thanks,

Flash
dave at BG chrysler i think has some custom reprogramming in the works for the new vipers as well. he has done work for me in the past on gen 2 and 3 vipers as well as the my srt8 6.1 challenger----unreal improvment

Reaction score
This would be interesting to see but with all the resources the SRT guys have and the complexity of the modules I doubt there will be good workable programs that have all the compatibility the Mopar will have. These PCM's are WAY more complex than the older ones or the 6.1L unit.

dave at BG chrysler i think has some custom reprogramming in the works for the new vipers as well. he has done work for me in the past on gen 2 and 3 vipers as well as the my srt8 6.1 challenger----unreal improvment

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mark,
Any idea when Mopar will release the new PCM? For those in So Cal, we will be able to install these computers in house so you will not need to go to the dealer. The installation requires a proceedure that requires the VIN# to be programmed into the module and the "drive by wire" system calibrated.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,
Any idea when Mopar will release the new PCM? For those in So Cal, we will be able to install these computers in house so you will not need to go to the dealer. The installation requires a proceedure that requires the VIN# to be programmed into the module and the "drive by wire" system calibrated.

Dan,
How'd you plan to address the 93 octane issue for those that will be driving their cars on the street on our crappy 91 gas?
Bruce

Reaction score
Dan,

I have had one but the production ones should be out in January. I will let you know when to expect them, I should get the first 10-20 I hope. I have all of those presold so they will be scarce.

Mark,

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,
How'd you plan to address the 93 octane issue for those that will be driving their cars on the street on our crappy 91 gas?
Bruce

Bruce do a search on this computer, 2 or 3 other links filled with lots of good info from Mark @ Woodhouse. Briefly, we need to use an additive like NOS octane boost, or mix the 91 w/100 unleaded (75/25) which is available in SC. Or, take it easier on the 91 only and listen for detenotation. Do some searching. Mike

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce do a search on this computer, 2 or 3 other links filled with lots of good info from Mark @ Woodhouse. Briefly, we need to use an additive like NOS octane boost, or mix the 91 w/100 unleaded (75/25) which is available in SC. Or, take it easier on the 91 only and listen for detenotation. Do some searching. Mike

Hey Mike, I was the one that suggested using the NOS Racing Formula in the other thread as I had done exactly that for years but after having to carry bottles of this NOS stuff in the car and use one for each 10 gallons, I'm so glad my other car can now run on 91 nicely. The other car wasn't a daily driver so even though it was a pain in the A$$ it was bearable but since the Viper will be driven more often, I want to look for other alternatives, if any and thus want to hear from more people to see what their suggestions are.
For me, it is either a ECU that is capable of running 91 or wait for a tune from someone like ACT or Diablo, or no ECU changes as the cost outweighs the benefit in this mod.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce once you get it programed you can swap back and forth with the stock unit if fuel's a hassle. I haven't tried yet on my 08 but my 06 took less than 30 minutes

Did you get a chance to check out the 1" seat at DC?? Cars still there hoping to pick up late this afternoon, Dan seems pretty busy, hope it's done today.

Reaction score
Hey Mike, I was the one that suggested using the NOS Racing Formula in the other thread as I had done exactly that for years but after having to carry bottles of this NOS stuff in the car and use one for each 10 gallons, I'm so glad my other car can now run on 91 nicely. The other car wasn't a daily driver so even though it was a pain in the A$$ it was bearable but since the Viper will be driven more often, I want to look for other alternatives, if any and thus want to hear from more people to see what their suggestions are.
For me, it is either a ECU that is capable of running 91 or wait for a tune from someone like ACT or Diablo, or no ECU changes as the cost outweighs the benefit in this mod.

I bet that does not happen in a great while after talking with SRT about all the R&D that went into this PCM. FWIW.

Reaction score
Bruce once you get it programed you can swap back and forth with the stock unit if fuel's a hassle. I haven't tried yet on my 08 but my 06 took less than 30 minutes

Did you get a chance to check out the 1" seat at DC?? Cars still there hoping to pick up late this afternoon, Dan seems pretty busy, hope it's done today.

You will still need to have the dealer swap this PCM or Dan at DC can do it so it is not the same as the Gen3 cars FYI.

Reaction score
Why can't they make one that can be programmed for either 91 or 93 octane?

The main purpose of this PCM is to help you if you are adding performance parts like headers and do not want to have CEL. The parameters are opened up to accommodate mild upgrades and get the max power from them while maintaining factory drive-ability. If you are modding the car up it will need the good fuel to take advantage of the timing changes and A/F tables. 91 will be a no win for performance and if you want to run it you "may" be able to but the gains will be much less and you risk detonation when running hard.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will still need to have the dealer swap this PCM or Dan at DC can do it so it is not the same as the Gen3 cars FYI.

Mark, I thought you said that once the dealer installs, programs, downloads vin etc. that you could then remove the new controller and re-install the stock one? Then re-install the new one in prepping for the track etc? I know it has to be programed initially but I thought you could then swap back and forth?

My reference to the 06 was that it is fairly simple to replace controllers in an 06, so I assumed that it should be very similar in the '08? Is the 08 much more difficult? Thanks! Mike

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Didn't get a chance to stop by both days so I'll just have to try it when we meet up. There's a Tour de Orange drive on Jan. 1 in OC, will you be going? I might go if I'm not up too late tonight.

Reaction score
Mark, I thought you said that once the dealer installs, programs, downloads vin etc. that you could then remove the new controller and re-install the stock one? Then re-install the new one in prepping for the track etc? I know it has to be programed initially but I thought you could then swap back and forth?

My reference to the 06 was that it is fairly simple to replace controllers in an 06, so I assumed that it should be very similar in the '08? Is the 08 much more difficult? Thanks! Mike

Mike,

Yes the PCM will be ready to swap but the throttle learning sequence still needs to be performed when switching. Sorry for the mis communication on that.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

thanks!! Always apreciate your help and the time you spend helping everyone on the boards!! Mike

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960