SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NoRice: Good post.

Vipergtsbob: Thank you for the clarification. Your dedication to the VCA is appreciated.

NoRice: "On another note, I am curious when you are out and about and meet new people do they immediately guess that you are lawyer?" Not necessarily immediately, but when they do guess, I am proud of it. In the darkest hours of many a good person's life, when many "friends" may have abandoned and shunned him or her based on hearsay and other shaky evidence, frequently a lawyer is the only individual to provide the defense, guidance, loyalty, and emotional support that the person needs under very high pressure circumstances.

Have a great one!

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3. The bottom line is that if someone does not have at least $35,000.00 or so laying around doing nothing plus the cost of the raffle tickets, they should probably stay out of the raffle. It is a fantastic vehicle. Thank goodness the folks at ASC did not have a clue as to how to market it. If they had posted it in our classified section, it would have probably been gone in a couple of days. If they had, in addition, moderator permitting, posted it in both the GTS and SRT forums with a minimum bid, a bidding war would have probably immediately commenced. Their loss, the VCA's gain.

What? How naive is the above fear, which ironically, is solved by it's own author in the VERY SAME PARAGRAPH, i.e. "...it would probably have gone in a couple of days," which opines the marketability of this vehicle, and is the one point with which I agree.

Don't have $35,000 laying around? Do not fear buying a raffle ticket!!! If you win, you just risk $100 and get a car worth $120,000. WOW. Is this something to really fear? I think not!! A small amount of creativity will solve the "problem." If you choose to keep the car and don't have $35,000 laying around, any bank would finance a $120,000 car for $35,000 provided you have a decent credit rating. If you choose to sell the car, it would probably fetch the $120K "...in a couple of days," you pay 35K in taxes, and have a nice little $85,000 to put on a new '08!! Plus, you would have over a year with tax extensions to take care of this!!

What a luxury problem..... Oh, and thank you VCA officers for offering this GREAT car as a raffle. This VCA member thinks you did a SUPERB job with this offering and any member will be fortunate to win!

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NoRice: Good post.

Vipergtsbob: Thank you for the clarification. Your dedication to the VCA is appreciated.

NoRice: "On another note, I am curious when you are out and about and meet new people do they immediately guess that you are lawyer?" Not necessarily immediately, but when they do guess, I am proud of it. In the darkest hours of many a good person's life, when many "friends" may have abandoned and shunned him or her based on hearsay and other shaky evidence, frequently a lawyer is the only individual to provide the defense, guidance, loyalty, and emotional support that the person needs under very high pressure circumstances.

Have a great one!

Bob, it was not meant to be a dig at you if you took it that way. I have plenty of family members who are lawyers, a judge, or law enforcement officers and friends in all those professions also. From the way you are on this forum, I am sure anyone would want you representing them as you seem to be a very thorough individual. :2tu:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense taken. Just answering your question. I just got back from Homestead Speedway. I had a 15 minute ride in a modified Radical SR3 on the 2.2 mile road course. I'm going to post a comment in the Driven forum.

Cheers!

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! I just saw this thread and I hope to win this car!!!

What do you think the taxes would be if I won?

Just kidding.

OP
OP
B

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW! I just saw this thread and I hope to win this car!!!

What do you think the taxes would be if I won?
Just kidding.

Jeff if I win it, you can have it! I don't want to pay the taxes on it!
LOL! Yeah right! :bonker:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Chris. Could you answer a few more questions?

1. Did ASC make any duplicate parts for the car? Will they be part of the win? I ask because many of the parts appear to be one off parts so if damage occurs they would not be replaceable - correct?

2. I assume that because there has been so much done to the car that the warranty may be gone - correct or only gone to the extent that any problem is due to the changes under the usually cited federal warranty law?

3. I could not see the dry sump resevoir in the last engine photo you posted. Was the image reversed or was the dry sump system removed?

4. Does the vehicle run on pump gas?

5. I noticed that the usual exhaust fume carbon coating on the twin exhaust outlets/tips is not the same as to both - any known reason for this?

6. It was mentioned that the vehicle might not be environmentally compliant in some states. Do you know which ones? It does have cats - right?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Bob

Reaction score
Hi Chris. Could you answer a few more questions?

1. Did ASC make any duplicate parts for the car? Will they be part of the win? I ask because many of the parts appear to be one off parts so if damage occurs they would not be replaceable - correct?

2. I assume that because there has been so much done to the car that the warranty may be gone - correct or only gone to the extent that any problem is due to the changes under the usually cited federal warranty law?

3. I could not see the dry sump resevoir in the last engine photo you posted. Was the image reversed or was the dry sump system removed?

5. I noticed that the usual exhaust fume carbon coating on the twin exhaust outlets/tips is not the same as to both - any known reason for this?

6. It was mentioned that the vehicle might not be environmentally compliant in some states. Do you know which ones? It does have cats - right?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Bob
And gas mileage too???

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO - FYI chris, if you tell us that this VIPER doesnt get good gas mileage, then count me out.
You must be registered for see images

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, at least you have moved on past the tax issue. ;)

Let me answer these as I can:

They did not make duplicate parts and there will be none included. They are indeed many one-off parts, with several "failed" examples (bad weave in the carbon, bend in aluminum, etc.) having graced their dumpster last year. And yes, I already went through the dumpster and only found a broken SSR bed cover and a discarded Big Mac meal from McDonalds. The apple pie was still pretty tasty though. ;)

As far as damage, the car is being raffled off "as is". That said, if your transporter drops it off the truck they should be paying for any custom fabrication needed. If you wrap it around a tree, well, I hope you are wearing your seatbelt.

I am going to go with your first assumption, in that the factory powertrain warranty will probably not apply, at least to the engine. I can't say whether the warranty for things like the window motors and that type of thing still apply. I do know that both ASC and the VCA are providing the car "as is" with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied by either party. What you work out with your friendly Dodge dealer is entirely up to you.

I honestly don't know nor are we planning to dissect the car to that degree. Whatever is in the pictures I took is what is on the car today. I can identify which ones those are if need be and can post additional photos (lots of them) if you wish.

The vehicle runs on premium unleaded - pump gas.

If you are looking at the single picture of two outlets, I would venture to say it is simple physics: The force of the exhaust will push it back to the furthest outlet rather than take an immediate right turn unaided (no walled pipe). Or perhaps they only have one actually open to the front. I doubt that, however I would again emphasize that we are not planning to dissect the car to answer these questions.

I can only assume that California would be one such state, however I cannot and will not account for any of them. It may pass with flying colors in all 50 states and Puerto Rico. It will pass in Kansas easily, as there is no testing there. As for having cats in place, I believe it does. But no worries:

As you probably noticed, among the many people reading this thread is Doug Levin himself. Having read your questions specifically he has offered to again donate a full factory exhaust system, with cats, to the raffle winner. If you get it to his shop in sunny Miami he will even install everything for you at absolutely no charge. He will personally do everything he can to help make the vehicle "emissions friendly" in the event it is not and the winner desires it. Generally speaking, it is the intake, exhaust, and tuning that directly affect that testing. Doug Levin Motorsports has offered to donate the parts and labor to bring all three to factory specs to help ensure it is 50-state compliant. That said, if there are internal engine modifications that would endanger that compliance, I don't expect Doug or anybody else to mess with that - at least not for free.

The bottom line is that this one-of-a-kind once-in-a-lifetime vehicle is being raffled off by the VCA, having been handcrafted by the folks at ASC. It has already been titled (to ASC) and is being raffled "as is" with approximately 50 miles on the odometer (yes, ideal collector miles). We cannot tell you every nut and bolt that was changed, nor do we have any intention of finding out. But I'll tell you what, since you have been so thorough in your questions I will give you a peek at just how much work went into this car. Here it is in the early stages (yep, Viper Blue!):

build.jpg

Now, when was the last time you had FIVE people working on your car simultaneously? Probably never - not even at the assembly plant (usually see two, maybe three max at one station at Conner Avenue). And see that design sketch by the driver's window? That is one of approximately five different ones they used and of which you will get full-sized copies. And no Bob, those wheels don't come with it either - they already came and went through the Viper Classifieds. :2tu:

And BnI - I can almost GUARANTEE this car gets poor gas mileage. But to help those with that tax concern, ASC has already paid the gas guzzler tax. :D Hope everybody gets shot at the tickets before they sell out!

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, curiously, this one-of-a-kind offering seems to really be stressing you. With the good intent of reducing a fellow Viper owners concerns, if you are fortunate enough to win this great car, I will personally send you a copy of the referenced book. May I suggest you work an extra hour Monday so you can buy 10 tickets and send them to me and I will deal with the results! Good luck on the raffle, and have a great drive today!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786881852/drrichardcarlson

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional data Chris. It is appreciated. I hope that the winner and ultimate owner is a collector with a proper place to store the vehicle when it is not being used. Otherwise its unique nature will certainly be impaired at some time in the future - especially with no replacement parts available. Thank you and the other officers who obtained the car for the raffle. One more thing, do you happen to have an audio file that you can post that will allow us to hear how it sounds? I think that all of us would love to hear it. Thanks.

Bob

PS. JB/SRT - no stress. Just thorough. G-d helps those who help themselves. The devil kicks the crap out of the rest.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional data Chris. It is appreciated. I hope that the winner and ultimate owner is a collector with a proper place to store the vehicle when it is not being used. Otherwise its unique nature will certainly be impaired at some time in the future - especially with no replacement parts available. Thank you and the other officers who obtained the car for the raffle. One more thing, do you happen to have an audio file that you can post that will allow us to hear how it sounds? I think that all of us would love to hear it. Thanks.

Bob

PS. JB/SRT - no stress. Just thorough. G-d helps those who help themselves. The devil kicks the crap out of the rest.

You wont spell out God, but you will devil? :confused:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Austin. Do a little research. You will find that not spelling out G-d is a sign of respect in a number of religions. I highly recommend it. It is a simple reminder that we humans are little more than a group of organized organic and inorganic chemicals parked on a small planet in a small solar system in a remote part of one galaxy among millions, if not more, of galaxies in an almost infinite universe. Cheers!

Bob

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Austin. Do a little research. You will find that not spelling out G-d is a sign of respect in a number of religions. I highly recommend it. It is a simple reminder that we humans are little more than a group of organized organic and inorganic chemicals parked on a small planet in a small solar system in a remote part of one galaxy among millions, if not more, of galaxies in an almost infinite universe. Cheers!

Bob

Hmmm... Never heard that before, but I will certainly check it out. Thanks for the explanation. :2tu:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
Is the air conditioning functional?

Has the cupholder been modified in any way? And if so, will the car still pass a NY State inspection? Maryland? Washington State?

Is there a cover for the trumpets for rain? If not, will ASC design one and provide it?

Will the gentleman in the plaid shirt in the photo above be included with the car, and, if so, what will be the additional taxes for him?

And lastly, if I win, and sell the car at B-J in 10 years and don't get $750,000, will the VCA or perhaps you personally, pey the difference between what the value was in 2007 and the shortfall to $750K?

Thank you in advance for your complete and thorough response.

OP
OP
B

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris,

Has the cupholder been modified in any way? And if so, will the car still pass a NY State inspection? Maryland? Washington State?

Is there a cover for the trumpets for rain? If not, will ASC design one and provide it?

Will the gentleman in the plaid shirt in the photo above be included with the car, and, if so, what will be the additional taxes for him?

And lastly, if I win, and sell the car at B-J in 10 years and don't get $750,000, will the VCA or perhaps you personally, pey the difference between what the value was in 2007 and the shortfall to $750K?

ROTFLMAO!
And to think after all these pages it was I who started this hell post for Chris!!! :nana:
I guess I won't be recieving a free raffle ticket after this one! :2tu:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to this raffle a LOT! :laugh:
It's truly a special car, and it would be an awesome prize to win.
I'd have more of a concern about if I were going to keep or sell the car if I actually was lucky enough to win it.
And if I kept it, would I repaint the white either blue or black and make it street legal? or keep it exactly as it was on the show circuit? I'm sure that if I modded it to match my tastes and to drive it one the road, Viper collectors would cringe across the nation. But in the end those are the kinds of choices and problems that I can live with just fine, thanks. ;)

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobpantax,

Following your advice, I have tried researching your spelling of God and come up empty. Would you mind pointing me in the right research direction? Which religions do this? Thanks.

Do a little research. You will find that not spelling out G-d is a sign of respect in a number of religions. I highly recommend it.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we should also start spelling the guy from the hot place as the D-v-l. That way, when some of us visit him later, we will have showed him the proper respect, and may receive better lodging.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni - Thanks for your interest in this awesome raffle car. Let me answer these as I can from a personal perspective:

I believe it is, however in order to get this car we had to agree it would never be used. Abercrombie S. Crystalball (ASC) is a member of Biologists Against Licensing Showcar Air Conditioning and has rigged the A/C button to give a mild and unpleasant shock when depressed. Likewise, we have agreed that should the winner disable that feature we will shave their cat.

It has indeed been modified and upgraded to a nut cup. They strongly recommend unsalted as anything else could mar the finish. As for the three states you mentioned, you are in luck as all three are "blue states" according to the 2004 election results. This means they voted democratic and their votes would swing for Jimmy Carter's peanuts. Again, they must be UNSALTED or the limited console warranty will be void. Also void in all red states.

They had originally tried to provide Paul Shaffer (he of David Letterman fame) however they found that his style was not bluesy enough for the rain. That, and he wouldn't pass emissions. It appears that they are working diligently to clone Harry Connick, Jr, as they feel he does an excellent cover with trumpets and other instruments, especially in the rain singin' the blues. There is no guarantee that such cloning will be complete by the time the raffle is drawn.

Unfortunately he was sold just after this picture was taken. Note that he is standing on the auction block, with the silent auction sheet resting on the chair. He went to a very lucky housewife in North Dakota. We are attempting to get the rights to the gentleman by the wheel, Jim Julow.

I believe that either can be arranged. Just remember that both the VCA and myself are not-for-profits and so have a limited budget. Therefor we would stipulate that payment be extended out and paid at a rate of 75¢ per year with no interest and not assignable to any heirs. And please, no more acronyms for Barrett-Jackson in these forums. Otherwise you will be subject to assterisk.

As always, it is truly my pleasure. We hope you will purchase gobs of tickets and remember to give your national officers a spin in the car, as they cannot purchase tickets as part of the raffle rules. They will bring the nuts. :2tu:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
too funny Chris and Janni!
You must be registered for see images

chris

i am also concerned about the car being built in 2006 and being driven only 50 miles. has the oil and filter been changed in compliance to Maintenance Schedule "Schedule B" subsection (5), since the car appears to have been driven in " Frequent short trips of less than (5) miles"?.

how are the batteries in the key fob? the batteries in the key fob for my (2)-year-old Magnum went bad the other day and i had to replace them. if we find that the batteries are bad in the raffle car key fob, will we be given a fresh set?

and lastly, when i am filling my 1997 Viper GTS with gas, and the pumps click off the first time, it takes two more clicks after that for my tank to be full. can i expect the same performance from the raffle car or will i have to learn something new?

(leaving for Walmart now to buy UNSALTED nuts)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris: Very,very funny. Is our deal about scaring everyone off so that I can win and then lease the car back to you for one half of each year for $1.00 plus reimbursment for the cost of the raffle tickets OK? I did not get the FedEx yet.

JB/SRT: You seem a bit stressed about the research. Google: "prohibition on uttering the name of G-d" but use the o instead of the hyphen. There are a number of links there that explain the usage.

Good luck everyone. By the way, the car also does not appear to have any rear vertical splitters so it might not be as stable at high speed.

Bob

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
and lastly, when i am filling my 1997 Viper GTS with gas,
and the pumps click off the first time, it takes two more clicks
after that for my tank to be full. can i expect the same
performance from the raffle car or will i have to learn something
new?

Um... I am very curous about this too.....except for completely
different reasons...

On a serious note - for anyone concerned about taxes - the car I
won two years ago was probably the single worse tax-friendly car
ever raffled by the VCA and I'm still playing. Whoever wins this
one is setup to make an $80,000 profit after taxes regardless how
much they have in the bank today. To me that's easily worth a
$100 ticket.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is our deal about scaring everyone off so that I can win and then lease the car back to you for one half of each year for $1.00 plus reimbursment for the cost of the raffle tickets OK? I did not get the FedEx yet.
Hey, I can't afford Priority Overnight - it should be there by this afternoon... ;)

BB Racin 77

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This car was for sale before the announcement and no one jumped on it?????? I find that a little hard to believe. Was it one of those secret; only a few people know is for sale type of offerings?

I sent ASC 3 emails and left 2 messages inquiring if and when this car would go for sale....and got no response

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car was for sale before the announcement and no one jumped on it?????? I find that a little hard to believe. Was it one of those secret; only a few people know is for sale type of offerings?

I sent ASC 3 emails and left 2 messages inquiring if and when this car would go for sale....and got no response
My polite guess is that you didn't try them since October, as that is when they first started contacting the various ownership groups and forums to sell their show cars:

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14422

The GTO Stinger failed to sell at all and finally went to an employee auction two weeks ago. Too bad, as it was a pretty cool car:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2005-ASC-Stinger.htm

Murcielago orange too...