SRT Coupe, GT-R, 997TT or Aston Vantage

Evoking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm actively shopping for a new toy and am considering an SRT Coupe, Nissan GT-R, Aston Vantage or a 996/997TT. I am an ex-Viper GTS owner about 8-9 years ago but for some reason either my old ID expired or I can't recall the password and my email must have changed - hence I'm a new member. I am a true car nut that can appreciate and have owned everything from Z3 M Coupe, Roadster, 3 NSX's, Viper GTS, C5 Z06, 993, 944 Turbo, 968, S2000, Lotus Elise, Evo, Z4 M Coupe, 740il, XJR and... you get the idea. All over the board. But for my toys I generally like a car that is an incredible performer with great feel from behind the wheel. To me feel is steering, handling, power, sound as well as a feeling of being in something purpose built and special.

Here are some pics: Some of my previous toys http://www.cardomain.com/ride/291976/2007-bmw-m

I'd like to hear from some of you that considered similar cars - especially the GTR. As different as the Viper is from a GTR in many ways they are quite similar. Both from non-pretentious" brands, both rare and special nonetheless, both the pinnacle of their respective country, both can stop traffic (GTR might require some wheels to get to the Viper's gawk level but does cause a stir). Folks who drive Viper or GTR aren't after the name plate!

Why did you pick the Viper over the others? i.e. Performance, maintenance, gawk, etc...

Do you have pre or post 2008 (600hp) and does it really make a difference in feel on street?

I assume maintenance is WAY less than Porsche, Aston or GT-R? (I only had my GTS for like 8 months so have no perspective)

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy an ACR it will give you all of the above that you are looking for. The maintenance is much lower than the other cars. Looks wise it will blow away the GT-R. We have shows out here all the time in NY and no one even notices the GT-R. Also its not a manual so all of the FEEL you want isn't there.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a toy, I'd get an ACR but if you need to drive the car more for daily duty (even not daily), then I'd get the GT-R. Maintenance on my ACR has been almost nothing and it practically leaves everything else smelling its exhaust on the track. And would win hands down against the GT-R in the driver involvement department. It is also not only faster but easier to drive at the limit than all the following cars I've owned and tracked - 996GT3, 997.1TT, Turbocharged Elise, EVO X MR, Ferrari 328,355, & 360CS. Am I biased towards the Viper? No, as you can see I'm a car nut like you with an open mind toward owning all brands from British to European to Japanese.

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to say that the Viper is a drivers car. You have to respect it or it will bite you in the ass. The GTR is nice but has all the electronic aids. Also GTR not a real good looking car, but has good performance. Yes big difference in 06 and 08 new cars. ACR is a different drive all together.

ACR_VP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't begin to comment on any of choices you brought up... But I bought my gen2 ACR from a guy who just bought a brand new GT-R. He told me that he spent more on maintenance on the GT-R in the first 2 months of ownership, than the entire 2 years he had the viper. His comment not mine, I have no idea how true it is, so take it however you wish.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My choice also boiled down to GTR or Viper. I am a techno-nut, and a data-user in my profession... so the Nissan really appealed to me. Its interior room and daily drivability were also appealing, but I do have a modern Challenger in the garage. I wanted to relieve my Challenger from HPDE use and focus on a dragstrip setup, so I really concentrated on how the Viper and the GTR would compare when driven on the road course. Their track reputations are fairly opposite: GTR is seen as eminently forgiving, while the Viper comes across as the "driver's car" that will bite if mis-handled. As I thought more about what I wanted to take away from my track days, the Viper gained preference. I know I'll never be that fast, but I do want to know that I can drive an un-aided sportscar well. And then, after seeing my ACR up close... wow. Its styling is sooo over-the-top and iconic, and conveys its purpose immediately. I like the GTR... but I love the Viper.

That said, pricing also played a significant role in my decision. GTRs, even used, demand a premium... while my 2009 ACR came to me via two previous owners with only 925 miles, and at significant savings. I felt that, if it turned out to be the "wrong" car for me, I'd be able to flip it at minimal or zero loss. As it turns out, that won't be a problem. My Viper is absolutely the RIGHT car for me and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I generally like a car that is an incredible performer with great feel from behind the wheel. To me feel is steering, handling, power, sound as well as a feeling of being in something purpose built and special. "

You answered your own question. There is not a production car made that can compare on the track to and ACR . Why would you settle for less.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many track records have been set by the GTR vs Viper ACR? I think that will answer your question.
PAVenomRT/10
09 ACR

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think the question is do you want to drive or let the car do it? The GTR does a great job of making an average to bad driver go fast. In the Viper it is all you!

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe you put the GTR in the same group as those cars. It's nowhere near the same class of car.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I sold my genIII 6 hrs after my ad went live, I was left in a lurch on shopping for my next ride. I was first looking for a genIV, but as it was taking some time to find black, I looked, just to make sure, at a few other options, and the GT-R was one of them, as was the Z06 and ZR1, porsche, etc. Several cars I respect greatly, like the viper. Long story short, it was a very short moment of insanity, and I came back to the viper. I do think the viper is beautiful, but I may be the rare guy who wishes it wasn't so high profile, at least where I live, it generates a lot of attention, which can be cool with kids, but I also feel a little awkward sometimes with the gawk factor. But the bang for the buck, the rarity, the power with handling, the brute force trauma you can inflict, and I do like the american heritage factor ... all come together with an incredible enthusiast community that make it quite an experience to own. There are 2 cars I see myself always having; a viper, and a mustang ('11 GT500 now), I've had 3 of the former, and 7 of the latter, and both for similar reasons ... and different reasons. But, honestly, nothing you're considering will disappoint ... but you know what my vote is.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper ownership experience is unique. It is a raw car, with direct mechanical link to the driver (except for later models with drive by wire).

When I belonged to the Luxury Toy Club I was able to drive all these cars, and when it came time to spend my own money on a new car, it had to be the Viper.

GTR drivers are good at impressing others with statistics, but the cars are not that much fun to drive. Astons are quality, but more of a GT car.

Major problem with the more expensive cars is the very expensive maintenance if you drive them in ernest, while the Viper just srugs off and asks for more.

The Gen 4 Vipers are a fresh, and very engaging choice for the enthusiast interested in taming the beast.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I can't believe you put the GTR in the same group as those cars. It's
nowhere near the same class of car.

Nowhere near as in better, or nowhere near as in worse?

Evoking - I gotta say, you kind of irked me with this post. Looking at that past car
list you are so radically off the board with your purchases that I can't help but think
you are here looking for your next bling as opposed to making a serious car
purchase. You trading up your GTS after 8 months and by going with ANY of those
other cars it tells me you didn't feel "it." And by "it" I mean the natural, gutteral
connection the vast majority here have for thier Vipers. And by that assumption I
am going to advise going with the Aston - it is a strikingly beautiful car, will be
reliable for the few months that you will own it, and it will make you look good
anywhere you go. Sincerly, good luck with your quest.

OP
OP
E

Evoking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonkers,

Didn't mean to irk ;-)

Rather than looking for my next "Bling" I would think my list of cars shows the opposite - Evo, S2000 for example are far from bling cars. The reason I had the GTS for only 8 months is that I suppose after coming from the NSX I missed the build quality. But yes I loved the gutteral, sledgehammer, "tame the bease if you dare" nature of the car. Using it daily began to wear on me and I recalled how the NSX was exotic and worked very well as a DD. When in the NSX I'd miss the brute force of the GTS and in the GTS I'd miss the quality of NSX, M car or Porsche. In hindsight the only way to have the sort of savagery the GTS offered AND refinement (yes I know some would call this an oxymoron) would be something like an Murcielago, Gallardo Carerra GT etc which are 3-5x making the GTS the perfect choice. Also, I was like 22 at the time so that says a lot as well ;-)

With a few more years on me I think I am much more deliberate about my selection - hence the request for feedback on the SRT's!

Thanks by the way for all the insight.

Would you consider an 08+ a must? Or is the extra 100hp only seen on the clock but not so much seat of the pants?

How difficult would the 100hp be to make up in mods?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can pretty easily upgrade earlier Gens to 600 hp, but the Gen IV also has the upgraded, better torque handling, and smoother shifting transmission, the improved limited slip rear end, and the suspension calibrated for non-run flat tires. It is a complete, integrated package for smoother and enhanced performance.
Gen IV has variable valve timing that allows for better performance at higher revs.

This makes for a better daily driver, while offering even better track performance.

From your post I feel that the Next Generation Viper (over a year away) might be just the ticket for you.

paul tat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had 3 vipers (06 FE SRT-10, 06 supercharged coupe, and 08 vert) I just recently sold my 08 vert for a 2010 GTR and I love it. I loved all my Vipers but I also love my GTR. They are completely different cars though. All of these cars have been my daily driver and the 2 best have been my 08 vert and the GTR. You just have to decide what you really want.

OP
OP
E

Evoking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems a bit soon for an all new Viper. Wonder how the appeal/value for the IV will hold up. Seems the GTS is more iconic of a shape. So the IV's had a relatively small impact on the III's values. Whereas the IV got a little more dare I say "tame". Perhaps the more tame newer one will also not affect the IV much for the same reasons. Then over time the older and closer to the original Viper will be most desired... Just wondering...

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man Ive had many vipers over the years with a smattering of z-06 and porsche.For the last year I had a 996 twin turbo that had some mods that took it over 500hp.It was an amazing car and scary fast but I couldnt get back to viper quick enough.There are tons of porsches and vettes out there but very few vipers.The exclusivity is off the charts.Im thrilled with my red 06 vert.....yup red...off the chain badass.What was I thinkin?

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Between the three I would have to pick an ACR. I have had mine for two years and oil changes and topping off the AC refrigerant are the only maintenance costs so far.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need the GTR - brute force (relatively) and build quality. Maybe the 997TT if you want to pay maintenance. SRT coupe will not be refined enough for you. Aston is too slow. Good luck with your decision.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where TO BEGIN . ive had my yellow vert parked next to a few gtrs. no comparison. my 2003 with its 2008 hood and 3380 pounds at 47 inches high looks much more exotic than the tall 3900 pound backseat haveing gtr. andhonestly not only does it look the part but at only 9600 srt10s made inthe world from 03 to 2010. its much more rare than the 12k a year gtr. already over 30k in the world since just 2009. to giveyou an idea of how rare a srt10 is their are 10k gallards inthe world from 04 to 2011. meaning yes asrt viper is even more rare than the bby lambo. only way id buy a gtr is if i could only afford one car. its average size car big with regular sports car production numbers and ageric name plate. being that i have 4 daily drivers i bought a rare car with supercar styling anda massive largest production engine for sale.if you have dds why buy a sports car thats agood dd? btw i had my srt and nsx in the driveway for 18 months. idecided to sell one and with little thought the nsx went byby....

OP
OP
E

Evoking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister, appreciate the perspective related to volumes. Are the stated SRT volumes just the convertible or both?

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had few hot rods over the years, and the Viper is on top of the list. The Viper is a great car, and the looks are second to none. The viper is a rockstar.
pic from a year ago when I got it bone stock.
You must be registered for see images attach

After a year and few mods the trasfomation Pic

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of your choices are fine cars. I personally would not buy a Vette, Porsche, Aston, or GTR over a Viper. Exlusivity in a word. Sure you could show up in a 997TT but most people would simply say "Nice Porsche", same thing with a ZR1 "Nice Vette". They don't know they are special. Show up in a Viper and people go "Holy S$$t!". All the cars are great cars but the Viper is a driver's car, it helps make you a better driver. The GTR doesn't. Now the Aston is beautiful for sure, I've had one - a DB7-GT. Great car but the maintenance will kill you. Everytime you go to the dealer be prepared to drop a grand or more. Heck a clutch is almost $5,000.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister, appreciate the perspective related to volumes. Are the stated SRT volumes just the convertible or both?

my friend thats every srt10 period . vert coupe acr mamba ect. my wife said i could sell my srt 3 months ago and get a used gallardo or audi r8. but that damn low preduction number of under 10k for the srt just wont let me sell it. also gen two owners will hate me but i went from a 99viper to a 03srt and the srt is a much better car. faster and much more exotic looking with better fit and finish a nicer interior plus faster on track days. gen2 is amazeing by 1996 standards.gen3and4 in the 2000s

OP
OP
E

Evoking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cubican,

Nice tasteful mods. I generally have not been looking at verts but yours is sweet! Frisco is also my old stomping ground. If I were still there I'd have to get a ride ;)

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I looked at every one of the cars you listed and had a modified BMW M6 at the time and decided on the ACR. Mainly because of the rarity and being able to drive a "racecar" on the street. Have never doubted or regretted the decision.

OP
OP
E

Evoking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCSViper,

Modded M6 to Viper is an interesting switch. M6's with exhaust sound unreal. Like an acutal F1 car! And they're refined. Your switch seems like it would remind me of my NSX Viper GTS dilemma. I'd miss the power of the GTS bu when I only had the GTS I'd miss the refinement of the NSX. The M6 sort of has both - albeit not any where near the level of torque as the SRT.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
defiently days i miss the nsx for sure....but it cant really compare to a srt. with an nsx i always had to justify my purchase with how awesome the car was 20 years ago. in the srt even a 9 year old 03 with 510 hp is still fast and new looking in 2011

srt all the way man.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4