SRT10 motor question

wkdviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, my buddy is possibly going to buy one of those SRT10 trucks, but the owner is saying that this truck burns about a quart of oil a month. I've only had my viper for November and December so I am not familiar with the oil consumption of these motors.
So question is, is this normal ?

Thanks
steve

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, my buddy is possibly going to buy one of those SRT10 trucks, but the owner is saying that this truck burns about a quart of oil a month. I've only had my viper for November and December so I am not familiar with the oil consumption of these motors.
So question is, is this normal ?

Thanks
steve
NOT normal.
The engines in the SRT-10 trucks are the same ones found in the Viper cars.
If there were issues, we all would have heard about (and had solutions) well before now.

My guess is that the previous owner was running poorly managed N2O or a supercharger...and damaged some internals in the process.

It can be fixed, but with so many trucks available right now, I'd keep shopping.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually they are not the same motor as found in the Vipers. The trucks actually have a cast iron block, which in theory should be more stable than the Viper Aluminium block (better ring seal). I have no actual experience with the trucks so I can't really say one way or another for sure. I certainly wouldn't buy it, but it's pretty honest of the currrent owner.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually they are not the same motor as found in the Vipers. The trucks actually have a cast iron block, which in theory should be more stable than the Viper Aluminium block (better ring seal). I have no actual experience with the trucks so I can't really say one way or another for sure. I certainly wouldn't buy it, but it's pretty honest of the currrent owner.

The engines are the same between the car and truck. The cast iron block engines were the ones used in the 2500 3500 series from 94-around 2000.and they were 8.0 liter engines not 8.3
The oil pan is different in the truck but all else in the same.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score

+1... exact same engine

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only differences were the oil pan to clear for the front suspension and the Air intake is different. GEN3 Viper motors can go thru a quart or 2 of oil between changes, but once a month is too much. Unless you drive 2000 miles a month.

Bruce

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before everyone hammers Cam, he's half-right.

Dodge does (did?) offer the V-10 with a cast iron block. You can find them in the 3500-series trucks. They're the ones that can tow a house. (EDIT- I feel stupid after I re-read the thread and see Tom's post. LOL)

The SRT-10 trucks, however, have the same engine as the Viper cars (except for minor changes like those Bruce noted- oil pain, airbox, etc.)

With my SRT-10 being a daily driver, I go through *MAYBE* a quart every 4-5000 miles.
The dipstick has never been below '4 stars'.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the truck in question had the famous (but ill advised in my opinion) "drive it like you stole it" break-in???

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '05 SRT-10 quad cab with 20K miles and consumes NO oil. It is driven daily in a sane manner and the oil is changed on a regular basis. Any motor that burns that much oil needs some serious attention, and I think your buddy would be well advised to find something else.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before everyone hammers Cam, he's half-right.

Dodge does (did?) offer the V-10 with a cast iron block. You can find them in the 3500-series trucks. They're the ones that can tow a house. (EDIT- I feel stupid after I re-read the thread and see Tom's post. LOL)

The SRT-10 trucks, however, have the same engine as the Viper cars (except for minor changes like those Bruce noted- oil pain, airbox, etc.)

With my SRT-10 being a daily driver, I go through *MAYBE* a quart every 4-5000 miles.
The dipstick has never been below '4 stars'.

That's very strange, because a neighbor of mine had one and it had the iron block (aluminum head). I wonder what the story is behind that?

Reaction score
Only change between the motors is the ZR and DR designation. The trucks with the automatic (DR) have a bell housing bolt configuration like the Gen 2 blocks so a 6 Spd will not bolt right up. That is the only difference in the blocks. Throttle body bracket was also different to account for cruise control.

OP
OP
W

wkdviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help on this, will advise not to buy.

Cheers
Steve

PS - I hate the winter :(

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2006 SRT-10 truck. Does anyone notice a valve train tick? It sounds alot like solid lifters. I checked the forums and everyone says they have the same thing. I never heard a SRT-10 Viper though. Dealer called it normal. I think it is odd with todays technology.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's very strange, because a neighbor of mine had one and it had the iron block (aluminum head). I wonder what the story is behind that?
It's simply not an SRT-10 if it has an iron block.
Your neighbor may have a normal 2500 or 3500 (or 4500 or 5500!). I'm not sure if aluminum heads are available for the iron block, but that's a possibility.

JBW- I think what folks are hearing isn't a tick. It's 2 extra cylinders.
EVERYONE wants that big ol' lopey cam'd V8 sound.
Not gonna happen with a V-10.

67PLY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A while back a friend of mine who still has a SRT-10 Ram complained of excessive oil consumption.His truck was still under warranty at the time, so when the dealer could not determine the reason for the oil consumption problem, they pulled the motor and sent it to Arrow for rebuild. When the motor was returned, it was discovered that earlier when he had his valve covers powder coated, the powder coater had broken the baffle located directly under the pcv valve, so that when the engine was running, oil was slinging off of the rocker arm straight into the pcv valve and sucked into the intake. He replaced the baffle and problem solved, and he got a fresh rebuild for free to boot.
If the truck is a 2004, then this might be an issue, but starting in 2005 the pcv was moved to the front of the passenger side valve cover.

Joe B

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2006 SRT-10 truck. Does anyone notice a valve train tick? It sounds alot like solid lifters. I checked the forums and everyone says they have the same thing. I never heard a SRT-10 Viper though. Dealer called it normal. I think it is odd with todays technology.

I notice it too. Never ridden in a Gen 3 car to compare, though. Some guys in the VTCOA are running a heavier weight oil (15w-50, myself included), which quiets it down a little.

To the OP: possible culprit for the excessive oil consumption could be leaky oil cooler lines, a known issue with the trucks and easy fix.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Couple Points:

1. It is normal for an engine to have SOME oil usage. It is not unreasonable at all for an engine this large to use 1qt in 3K miles. You can easily ingest that much through a poorly designed PCV system... which the Viper does have. Look inside your intake manifold sometime.

2. It is even more normal for an engine with a Forced Induction Rebuild to use some oil. These builds have wider ring gaps, larger piston to wall clearance, usually have positive crankcase pressure, and often use catch-cans as a result. A build like this is almost expected to use some oil, and it is entirely dependent on how it was set up, and what systems it uses. If it is FI, and doesnt have a PCV valve or poor breather setup, it is GOING to lose oil every time you enter boost, regardless of the ring seal. Check your breathers, manifold and piping.... it probably isn't going through the rings, just everywhere else!

From what I have seen, N/A engines and dry sumps tend to use 1/4-1/2 Qt. per 3K miles, Small boosted builds are around 1 Qt. per 3K miles, and Large builds can be as high as 2 Qt's. In most cases however, revising the breather setup on the big builds can bring big builds back into the 1 Qt. ballpark... and then there are the exceptions. I have seen botched ring gaps, no PCV on Boosted cars with a direct line from the manifold to crank case....... it is no surprise when those cars burn 2+ in 1K miles.

Last edited:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the OP: possible culprit for the excessive oil consumption could be leaky oil cooler lines, a known issue with the trucks and easy fix.
Very good point.
The trucks use the same oil cooler as the Viper cars (and the GT40.....heh heh).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960