srt10 vs z06 on espn2

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on espn2 at 6pm pst tonight i watched [the road trip to the auto show] with C. van tune. they did a great piece on the RAMsrt10 as the fastest production truck. This show covered the Chicago auto show primarily.
They quoted 0-60 in 5.2 sec and a top speed over 150 for the RAMsrt10.

They then featured the viper srt10 vs Z06 quarter mile shootout at Irwindale raceway. Viper easily wins and posts 0-60 of 3.9 and 12.1 1/4 mile at 121.1mph to the vetts 4.1 and 12.5 @ 115 respectively. Great show, but they hammed it up a bit much.
Ed Albini

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Its nice to see some good numbers for the SRT. Some of the earliest tests made it look like it was no faster than the current GTS.

But it must have been a good day, because the Vette numbers look a little strong, eh? Either that, or the Vette is a better performing car than I have given it credit for.

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, the Z06 is a bit faster than that...

As we have seen John Myrick's car is a bit faster than the time they posted for the SRT-10. Honestly, from a roll the Viper will win a race with a Z06 by about 2- 2.5 car lengths stock vs stock. From a dead stop all I can say is you'd better be a darn good driver. The Z06 launches hard and if he gets out in front of you, he'll probably stay there.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep dreaming. The difference you mention is more like the GTS beating the Z06. The SRT would walk it. 5 or 6 more mph at the quarter is definitely not keeping even. Everything I have seen is more like a .5 sec difference in the quarter. The is more like 6 or 7 car lengths difference and gaining.

riwracer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi
6 weeks ago I traded my 00 black :usa: GTS for a 03 SRT black.
I also own a yellow 2002 ZO6. I have raced them myself, and with the same driver, me. At the same track, DeSoto Drag Way in Bradenton, Fl, my ZO6 ran 12.9 [stock] and my Viper GTS ran 12.4 [stock].
Though these were not raced on the same day, the weather was hot, 80 degrees, and quite humid.

03 SRT Black
00 GTS Viper [sold]
02 ZO6 yellow
01 C5 convert
93 ZR1 anniv.
67 435 convert., yellow with black stinger

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a track day Saturday, there was a 2002 ZO6. Talked to the guy myself. He said his best time ever was a 12.4@115. That day all he could pull was a <a href="mailto:12.7@112.">12.7@112.</a> The day was nice 70 degrees and his dyno pull was 352 at the wheels, but no fan was used. I did a 12.3@115, and I have just a poor Gen I...... :D

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have to dream. I have already raced an SRT-10 with my Z06. From a dead stop I pulled him by two lengths out of the hole. I held that leads to the top of 4th gear (147mph). We then raced from a roll. I lost from a roll by about 1-1.5 car lengths. The only thing done to my car was the removal of the lid off the stock airbox cover. On the dyno this showed to be worth about 15HP ( I would call that 1 car length). Hence, my 2-2.5 carlength statement. From a roll, the Viper did not make any move on my car until I was in 3rd gear...

I have stated this in other threads, but my best time in my Z06 is 1.85 60' 11.933 @ 114.52 with the lid on, and on the factory radials. With the lid off and on ET Streets I have run a best of a 1.675 60' [email protected].

The race with the SRT-10 was on the factory radials on the street. We raced a total of 1 time from a stop and 4 times from a roll.

riwracer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:cool:
RE:jrod post
He must be power shifting and running in freezing, dry temperature----to run in the 11's with a stock ZO6.
As I own, and have driven both cars, there is no stock ZO6 that can pull down a Viper, with the exception of a huge difference in drag racing ability.
I have been to numerous racing events, and at least at moderately high temperatures, a very good running Z06 will run a mid 12. A sluggish Viper will run just under that for starters.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
riwacer,

Not sure what to believe with jrod. If he is correct his Z06 is blessed with a lot more horsepower than most Z06's. I have some doubts though as his mph doesn't box with the ET.

How can a "lid" can produce 4 more mph. That amount of increase in speed should require much more than a 15 hp increase. For the Viper a 4-5 mph increase takes around 50 hp more, not 15.

The other thing that bothers me is that he says he keeps even, even at high speed. Witness his stated speed of 114.52 mph. A stock GTS would beat that by about 4 mph and an SRT, with a trap of 122 to 123 would have about an 8 mph edge. Hard to hang with someone with that difference.

I would have to say the SRT he says he raced was still during break-in and did not want to go to too high an engine speed. I thought I read elsewhere about one of the SRT owners mentioning that he almost kept up with a Z06 without going above 4000 rpm. If that is the same case the jrod is in for a surprise when the SRT's on the street are fully broken in. jrod, can you indicate what city you are/were in so we can check that out?

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was dyno'd @ MTI in Houston with 1100 miles on the odo. It dyno'd 358 and 359. I dyno'd again @ 4500 miles and dyno'd 356 and 357. I removed the airbox lid and dyno'd a 3rd time @ MTI with 6500 miles on the car and dyno'd 372. All these numbers are corrected numbers. As for MPH improvement. I saw about a 2mph gain. The other gains in MPH are from a harder launch on the ET Streets. My car is actually slower MPH wise than many cars. Many stock Z06's have run 118mph trap speeds. But, I have noticed that on my better passes my MPH is usually lower. High MPH is usually a sign of excessive wheelspin during a pass. Other guys who drag race Z06's have had much better MPH than me also. One guy with Drag Radials and an airfilter has trapped @ 120.

As for the MPH difference. As I stated that was in October of 2001. I bought my car in September of 2001. Since then I have had the opportunity to get a bit more seat time, and improve my technique. In the race with the SRT-10 my car did not have the lid on, so I had the advantage of the 15 or so HP I was referring to. Also, MPH is not the key indicator of who is going to win in a drag race. In the street race that I had, the guy I raced didn't have enough seat time to get out of the hole hard. But, he did run his car all the way out. I know because he hit the rev limiter in at least one race.

As for a Z06 running 12.90's well not to be insulting but that is simply a very poor time. I am not sure what the elevation is where you live, but here is my first timeslip ever in my Z06. Keep in mind this was the first full pass I ever made in the car with 1100 miles on it, the weekend after I bought it....

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5256

3/OCT/2001

60' ... 2.159
330 ... 5.610
1/8 ... 8.355
MPH ... 90.69
1000 ... 10.716
1/4 ... 12.716
MPH ... 111.41

After that, I got my launch technique down in the car and popped off a 12.35

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7058

Here is the dyno tests on my car where I found the lid to be worth 15HP on my car, including before and after dyno graphs.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28696

Here is my recent best on ET Streets and no lid:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30089

60' - 1.675
330 - 4.822
1/8 - 7.442
mph - 94.62
1000 - 9.692
1/4 - 11.596
mph - 118.53

As for the race with the SRT-10 if the owner of that car is a friend of mine, that is why we didn't keep going from a dig and went from a roll. There was nothing to be proved from a dead stop. Until he got his launches down better I was going to continue to beat him. So, we went from a roll. I'm not going to sit around and make excuses. I lost to him from a roll, plain and simple. But, I simply wanted to point out that the margin isn't quite as large as you might imagine. Now, that is not to say that in a well driven Viper and a poorly driven Z06 you might not see a 6-8 carlength difference. All I am saying is that if the Z06 is driven half decently the race is going to be a bit closer than you might think... And if they get the launch on you, you're going to have to work to make it up....

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...So you shaved a whole second off a stock Z06 time and increased your mph by 4 with just removal of the lid and 15hp increase.....Even with et streets thats hard to believe.....From a 12.5 stock to 11.5...[******]...That means the Viper with et streets and a few bolt ons should be doing at least 11.1's at 124mph with you driving.Or even 10's since we know the Viper in the right hands is an 11 sec car...Im not saying you are lying but I think you have more mods than you are letting on...We all like to believe that our are soo qquick with just this and that....Like the Porsche guy on Supraforums that beat a Viper and said all he did was chip it....Later we found out he had 100 octane and and a bunch of other mods that he said he didnt think helped the Porsche that much ;) ......Im sure there are Z06 guys that find your claim hard to believe with just the mods you are telling us......Ive test driven a Z06 and I know they get out the hole very well but knocking a whole second off with those mods just seems far fetched...

I just read the link you posted and you are getting worse from your own Z06 buds...Alot of them dont believe you....Why dont you race the guy thats calling you out to race his Z06......Some of your buddys are straining to get 12.3 and you are killing them with an 11.5 with lid removed and slick...I hope you can understand why this in not easily believed and dont take it as a personal attack....At least there were credible witnesses that saw a Viper run 11.7-11.9 so those arent disputed...So you have to do the same to be believed...Run that guy that calling you out a show and prove...That the best way to shut people up.....BTW I can post a timeslip doesnt mean my car ran those times.....

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The offer stands to Quick Ag to bring his car to HRP. I offered to drive his car, and he can drive mine. If you finish reading the thread he basically crawfishes on the deal. Again, I am not the only one who has times like this. Ranger, Powershifter, Stever Row, etc... Ranger in fact has gone quicker than me on DR's he has gone an 11.55 with just an air filter. As for the one second drop, look at the 60' times. A 2.159 vs a 1.675. That is a 0.484 second difference. That is about 5 car lengths just in the first 60'. That pass was also leaving just off idle at 1100-1200 rpms. The car simply bogs until it starts getting rolling. Look at the MPH as an indicator.

I 've always been completely open about what is and isn't done to my car. I've also made the offer to plenty of Z06 owners that if they doubt my car, they can make a pass in it, and I'll make a pass in theirs. I don't have any hidden mods, I don't need to...

I recently had a fellow bring his car in from out of town for me to make a pass in it. His best time to date had been a 12.20-12.30's with bolt-ons. On the first pass on radials I went a 11.77@119. I had problems with his aftermarket shifter but, I feel confident that car would run an 11.3 pretty easily on some sticky tires and the stock shifter in the car.

You're free to believe I am lying or that my car is all modded to the gills. The fact is that is simply not the case. I'll put the lid back on my car, we can go dyno @ MTI and you'll see my car dyno's just like every other Z06 out there ~355-360RWHP. I'll pull the lid off, and it'll make around 372. We can then go straight to HRP and I'll crank off an mid 11 on the ET Streets... And, if you want to run me in an SRT-10 we can do that too...

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realize that removing a lid may net 15 HP on a static dyno, but considerably more at speed when incoming air is pressurized. At any rate, Jrod seems to be a straight shooter, and I'd like to see someone in the TX region take him up on his offer.

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have been over the physics of Ram air over on other boards. There is nothing in fluid dynamics or physics to show that ram air is achievable at the speed any of our cars run at. All gains seen are via cold air being ingested by the motor. That is why some folks have questioned my actual gains. The car was dyno'd with the hood open. With it closed and the heat of the engine compartment flooding in, there may be less of a gain. This is why the Vararam for the Corvette does such a good job. It pulls air from the grills in the front of the car. So, my humble guess is that at the line I am loosing a bit of power since the intake air temp is up a bit. However, once under way, the cool air begans to get into the box and HP comes up. This is why at the drag strip I try to leave my hood open for as long as I can. Switching to the Vararam might actually be worth a bit of power, but I don't feel like spending the money on it...

Anyhow, I am out at HRP all the time. I'd love to meet up with any fellow car enthusiast who want to come out and run their car...

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plenty of near stock Z06's are in the 11's, but they are pro drag racers like Jrod and the afforementioned Ranger, Steve Row, Power Shifter...etc. My arch nemesis with an 01 Z06 with air filter and DR's always manages to kick my [******] no matter what I run, usually to the tune of 12.10-.30, and that's with less power. If I had to pick a national average stock Z06 1/4 time, I'd say it's 12.40, just like even though everyone knows a GTS can run 11.6, most Vipers I've seen run in the 12.00-12.20 range. With every car there are gonna be guys that extract otherworldly numbers out of them, so you have to go by averages...
As for racing an SRT, I would guess that once the weather gets better, were gonna start seeing guys pull 11.60's on stock tires, and that's out of the realm of stock or lightly modded Z06 possibility for 99% of us. You can't overrule the laws of nature. Just a shame that the Gen II's make the new ones look so pedestrian(even though they are growing on me fast).

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JRod Im still a bit skeptical but I guess its possible with a driver of your caliber as attested some of your guys.....That being said how is the reliability of the tranny and drivetrain not to mention your cluch...You've got to be beating the living hell out of that Z to get those numbers on slicks. Somethings got to give. How many clutches, trannys etc if any have you gone through....I know the Z is lighter than the Viper but its still over 3k lbs....Im in the market for a high milage C5 right now...Its sounds like Chevy has built a pretty durable rocket in the Z06. .

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had more than 40-50 passes on the stock clutch, and numerous street races. My leaves were anywhere from 4700-6200 sometimes as high as 6500 on the radials and slipping the clutch very hard to leave. I ended up having an issue with the clutch sticking to the floor. This is a known issue with the Corvette clutch. Even folks who never drive their cars hard have the same issue. GM replaced my clutch under warranty. It actually wasn't all that worn. But, rather than have another issue, and possibly raising a red flag over a bunch of clutch repalcements (some folks have had 3 replacements to get the clutch issue resolved). I simply switched over to ET Streets. I leave the line at just below the redline (6600) on the ET Streets. Much less wear on the clutch, alos much less heat in the clutch (it doesn't stink after a pass). I counted the timeslips I had sitting on my desk the other day and had about 86 timeslips on top of my desk. I have had at least 40-50 since the clutch change. Other than that I have had no mechanical issues with the car related to racing. I had a headlight motor break... That is the only issue other than the clutch I have had so far... One thing with the ET Streets, the stock flywheel doesn't have enough mass, and the stock gear isn't deep enough. If I set it up so the car doesn't spin, the car runs 11.80s. If I have fairly high rear air pressure in the ET Streets, and the the car spins for 10-20 feet, I drop about .2 seconds as the car doesn't bog leaving... This is one of the issues I see with magazine tests. If you simply leave at low RPM, while the Z06 has decent torque, its no where near the Viper. The Viper will just motor on away with gobs of torque. The secret to a good leave in a Z06 is to keep the revs up the powerband. Doing so will drop the ETs considerably....

FYI... My car weighs 3021 lbs with fuel, and me out of the car. With me in the car, helmet, etc... I am right around 32050 lbs.. or less.

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know in looking at the numbers of 3021 to 3250 that equates to 226. I am 177lbs. So, I don't need to go on a diet. The variation comes in with my helmet and gear, fuel load, etc. adding a few lbs...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JRod, You missed it. In your earlier email you typed in 32050 lbs. An obvious typo. It was expected that at least one Viper guy would jump on it. Only one though so you got off easy.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, Jrod strikes me as the "real deal". His launch technique for radials is spot on. I'd be very interested in seeing how an SRT runs - same day, same track - next to his Z06. Any takers?

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oops... :eek:

As for racing. I am in Houston. I live 5 minutes from HRP. All I need to know is when someone wants to come out to HRP. It doens't take me long to get out there...

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ugh--Loathe as I am to back up a zog driver, I must say, JRod's posts have a strong ring of genuine truth (and refreshing lack of attitude--extra points)

JROD--PLEASE BUY A VIPER. WE NEED YOU ON OUR TEAM.

Can you imagine what he could do with the viper?!?

If he is pulling 1.7 second 60's on street tires, (post the time slips somehow, JRod), we must all admit he is in the otherworldly category. However, I still don't see how a 1.7 sixty can pull a 12.5 stock car into the 11.8's. Chalk that one up to it being more powerful, or a really chilly day?

Most GTS drivers, if they could EVER manage a 1.7 60', would ALL be in the elevens.

Now, with these 122-123 traps I'm seeing on SRT's, I expect to see the 11.5 mark fall for a stocker at some point this year.

I'm much more interested, frankly, in how it does on the race track against the zogs and porsches and gen II's.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd, FWIW I've pulled 1.8s on stock radials on my gen-II, and I'm not even a particularly experienced drag racer (<100 passes total). Warming up the tires, bringing up the revs, then slipping the clutch just so, is all it really takes. That, and practice, practice, practice. 3.55 gears would help as well.

(I hear Doug Levin once got a 1.69 on stock radials on a blower car...)

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Houston, I'll go to HRP. I have multiple 11's passes in my bone stock 2000 ACR. It has 19,000 miles and I just put a new set of Pilots on it. My best run was a 1.86 60' 11.852 @ 119.63. Only problem is HRP won't let you run sub 12's without a roll cage.... At least not more than once ;)

Jeff

91ZR1#661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no reason to doubt J-Rod.He has documented his runs and posted time slips
on his car.I think EVERYONE is also forgetting that the Z06 is quite a bit lighter that both the SRT and GTS.With a good driver and the weight advantage I
can definately see a Z06 running with a SRT in the quarter mile.There are SEVERAL Z06 owners running in the high 11's.
95yellovett

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want me on radials or ET Streets?

Here is a very old post. I had just gotten my ET Streets. I took them out one weekend to work on launching the car. Instead of dumping the clutch, I used them to learn the best way to slip the clutch on the car. The car had the stock airbox, and the lid still on. On that day, the correction factor put that at almost exactly "Standard Day" conditions. There are two timeslips as an attachment in my post.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8030

After that weekend at the track, I didn't use the ET Streets for almost a year as I was getting similar times on the radials. After the clutch replacement I have gone back to the ET sTreets as it is much easier on the clutch.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it looks like JROD is in the Jaime Furman/Evan Smith catagory of gifted racers.....If you guys do line up and race I hope you get it on Video for the rest of us......JROD have you ever driven a Viper down the 1320??? If so what was your et/mph....You Texas guys seem to have all the fun...Us NYC'ers gotta go all the way to E-Town or God forbid ATCO in the Styx just to get a decent track.....My uncle lives in Ft. Worth...I think Im gonna have to take a trip out there this summer and check out the scene....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery