State Farm Insurance BLOWS. Need advice.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the recent discussions on the board about insurance and Vipers and Track use I decided I would cancel the collision and liability on the Viper and only carry comprehensive to cover anything that could happen like theft.

My agents assistant told me that to cancel liability she had to call the "main office" oooohhhhh.

Well, she just called me back and said they didn't want to cover the car at all if it was going to be used for racing (which it is at SCCA events).

So, I just cancelled by Auto and Homeowners with State Farm and am shopping for a new company!!!

Any suggestions? All I want on the Viper is comprehensive to cover unexpected non collision type loss.

Thanks in advance. This isn't so much a rant as I need real suggestions!

I'm in NC. Other vehicles are a 01 BMW 740i and a 02 Diesel Excursion.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my car insured with state farm and no issues.
I even asked if i could go to a track driving school they said fine.
so long as not timed or racing.

sorry to hear about the track problem.
good luck.
JIM

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't cancel anything until you find another company. You may be shotting yourself in the foot....(I am an expert on that)I wouldn't think they would insure anything "comprehensive only"

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe call another State Farm agent.
I have found that can make a difference. A lot of times the decision is made at the agent level and not at a corporate level.
My current agent is wonderful but about 10 years ago when I lived in another city..the agent was very unprofessional.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call a Nationwide Agent... Nationwide is the largest auto insurer in North Carolina.

If you cannot locate one let me know.. I am a Nationwide Agent in Florida but can get a referral for you!

Lance

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have my $360/m Nationwide payment then free state farm coverage.

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I emailed my agent and told him I was going to cancel my auto and home with him.

He emailed me back that he was sorry.

Two hours later he called and said he wanted to know more about the track events. I told him about Viper Days and explained that it didn't matter because I was trying to DROP collission not add it!

He said the underwriter was concerned about losing the business (this has to be a worlds first) and that they wanted to review it again.

He said he'd call me tomorrow. We'll see...

Up until now I've loved the service they provided.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Nationwide. They have always treated me fairly (totaled one 94 Viper) They currently have my: 4 cars, Boat, Umbrella policy, Resort property (with flood ins), Primary residence, Workmans comp, Liability on both businesses, and I cant even think of what else.

I am comfortable in knowing that pretty much no matter what happens I have only one person(agent) to call. I get major discounts for having multiple policies.

I'm sure she'd be happy to locate someone in your area if you'd like.

Do not cancel any policy until you have a replacement. That may be just the time you need it, and they will charge you more coming from no insurance to different insurance.

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The final verdict has been entered...

My State Farm Agent told me they were dropping the Viper altogether. My request was to drop collision and liability because I wasn't ever going to drive the car on the street. All I wanted was comprehensive in case it's stolen or burns up in the garage due to a house fire.

He did have the courtesy to call to break the news though.

He said "this is what you get for being honest with an insurance company". Well at least he has intergity even though State Farm doesn't.

screw them. they take your money for years and years but when you want to drop coverages you don't need lookout.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The final verdict has been entered...

My State Farm Agent told me they were dropping the Viper altogether. My request was to drop collision and liability because I wasn't ever going to drive the car on the street. All I wanted was comprehensive in case it's stolen or burns up in the garage due to a house fire.

He did have the courtesy to call to break the news though.

He said "this is what you get for being honest with an insurance company". Well at least he has intergity even though State Farm doesn't.

screw them. they take your money for years and years but when you want to drop coverages you don't need lookout.

Why do you have a car that you do not intend to ever drive on the street??? If you are never going to drive it try a policy from a company like Hagarty?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not understand. I have State Farm also. Every winter I put the Viper on comprehensive only. Both are currently in that status. Just a call and it is back to full coverage. I have never had any negative comments when I put it on comprehensive only. The girls usually joke about viper versus non-viper weather, but that is about all.

Baron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had State Farm until December when they raised my rates for no reason. I called and they said "Oh, everybody's rates in Florida are going up". That sounded like bs to me, so I simply said, "Oh, well in that case I won't be renewing". So I immediately went to http://www.progressive.com and got a new quote online in about 10 minutes. The result: State Farm had been charging me $1100 every six months for full coverage on my 98 GTS and my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Progressive is now charging me $750 for the exact same coverage on both vehicles. :D

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had State Farm until December when they raised my rates for no reason. I called and they said "Oh, everybody's rates in Florida are going up". That sounded like bs to me, so I simply said, "Oh, well in that case I won't be renewing". So I immediately went to http://www.progressive.com and got a new quote online in about 10 minutes. The result: State Farm had been charging me $1100 every six months for full coverage on my 98 GTS and my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Progressive is now charging me $750 for the exact same coverage on both vehicles. :D

OK, I just did the progressive quote for my 2002 Avalanche, 2002 Lincoln LSE and 2000 ACR

State Farm 6 months: $1,691.80, Progressive: $2,210.50 (and actually not as good of coverage as my State Farm)

State Farm has been really good to me so far. They did however drop my parents after 30 years for a TOTALLY BS reason. They live in NC.

Texas rocks, you can not get dropped here by ANY insurance agent without them telling you that if you do xyz they will drop you.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
State Farm - Like any good neighbor, they'll let their dog **** on your lawn and blame you for not having fences...

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.WawanesaGeneral.com/

- They have the lowest rates I've ever experienced. Easily half of what one is used to paying with other insurance companies. I kid you not. And they offer every thing you can think of. The kicker is, you can only have 1 point on your driving record. They accept only extremely good drivers. But, if you qualify, there you have it. You can apply online. Nice and easy.

-Daffy

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One point on my record. Like that is going to happen. Not!

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baron,

Progressive ***** ! They lowball claims, are very cagey, avoid payment whenever possible (see my saga in the archives. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE !!!

Rocky Horde

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.WawanesaGeneral.com/ is only available in California and Oregon. They actually allow 2 points.

My wife and I don't have any points and would really like a company that takes that and credit rating into account.

Any ideas on that?

As I suggested before, call a Nationwide agent close to you. I am a Nationwide agent in Florida... we give better rates for good drivers... an accident free discount (if no accident in 5 years) and great discounts for good credit.. the better the credit score the better the discount.

PM me if you need a referral to a Nationwide agent in your area.

Lance

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if this is new to anyone but I always go for $1k deductable. It lowers the cost quite a bit.
I wouldn't bother with an insurance claim unless I had a BIG loss so I figured the $1k was a good deal.