Steering Lock-up

VCA Member
Reaction score
Picked up my 1997 GTS after the timing chain gasket, power steering pump bracket and pully were replaced. Drove around for about 20 miles to check things out, then took a slow left hand turn into a gas station and the steering locked after about a 15 degree turn of the front wheel. I returned the steering wheel to center to go straight and found I was able to turn right fine. Re-tried the left hand turn and all worked well. My lift is buried with furniture (we are renovating), so a limited look at the front end came up with nothing. Car goes back to the dealer in a day or two for their investigation.

A scary experience. Anybody have any suggestions??

Dan

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had this happen to me several times. What happens to me is that I have had a loose key on my key chain go into the hole in the back of the steering wheel arms. The key locks up the wheel when you try to turn and when you move the wheel the other way the key comes back out. Scary as hell. I have been looking for a good way to plug the holes up but I just went with an after market wheel. I cant believe that this has not been a problem for anyone else. Has anyone else experienced this?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll assume you've rechecked the fluid level after the drive? And wouldn't the steering still work even with the engine off? Although very difficultly. In other words, it's power assisted steering, but it's still a steering system first.

OP
OP

VCA Member
Reaction score
I also assumed that it was a steering system first (with or without the power steering assist). The fluid level was and is fine.

I just have the remote on the keychain - no other keys. Is it possible for the remote to catch somewhere on the column - has this happened to anyone?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you just had your P/S pump worked on, this might not be the cause, but I'll throw it out there anyhow. My '97 GTS did exactly what you are describing for a little while before my P/S pulley grenaded. Every once in a while, when I wwas driving hard, the steering would lock up in mid-turn - just long enough to freak me out real bad. After my pulley grenaded soon thereafter, I realized that the pulley was spinning on the shaft sometimes. When that happened, the pressure dropped suddenly, and I lost power assist.

When you had the pulley replaced, did you verify that the shaft wasn't stripped? Just a long-shot, but it does sound like what was happening with mine. I ended up replacing the entire pump unit with one from Archer because the shaft was all messed up.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that doesn't sound like it will last too long before it doesn't do that any more, if the case.

Pulley spin on shaft versus pulley finally fall off of shaft it's been spinning on...

OP
OP

VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will:
1 Change the pump
2 Change the belt
3 change the idler pulley
Hopefully this will cover the problem. One possible "off road" experience will cover the costs.